• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Alex Smith worth Franchise QB money?

Is Alex Smith worth Franchise QB money?

• Yes

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 41 77.4%

• Total voters

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
too old???

Smith is only 30, hell he had at least 5-6 years left in him. Just look at how old Brady and Manning are for examples. In today's NFL with the emphasis being on QB/player safety they can play longer.
JMO but a franchise QB is one you would build a team around. I just don't see this with Alex....8 years in the NFL and not the greatest record for the most part. I really do wish him well, just the reality.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many offensive coordinators and schemes has he had in those 8 years? Pretty much a new one every year.

Continuity's important.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many offensive coordinators and schemes has he had in those 8 years? Pretty much a new one every year.

Continuity's important.
Very true. Sucked for him and the whole team. Would you build a team based on him a your QB ?

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on when the rest of my team's in position to win. Tomorrow, after Brady Manning Rodgers Brees, he's on my short list.

If it's going to take a few years, I'll add Luck and RG3 ahead of him due to their ceilings, but after that he's still on my short list. In either context he's in the top 1/3.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It depends on when the rest of my team's in position to win. Tomorrow, after Brady Manning Rodgers Brees, he's on my short list.

If it's going to take a few years, I'll add Luck and RG3 ahead of him due to their ceilings, but after that he's still on my short list. In either context he's in the top 1/3.
Okay ,let's put this a different way. Do you feel that the Chiefs can win with Alex as the QB for the future...possibly a SB? I can only speak for myself that I was happy for him this last season.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he gives them a better shot than any but the three elite guys or Brees. I don't think the surrounding talent is spectacular, though they do have a few really good players (especially Charles).

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the postseason, eventually a QB will be forced to challenge good defenses downfield. Smith cant do that. He's limited, and predictable. Great decision maker that can win you games and even get to the playoffs, but he's not going to win a title.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure he can.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure he can.

No, he cant. He's proven it. He cant make every throw. Just take away the easy stuff and check downs and its over. Too many good defenses in the postseason that will force your hand, eventually he will run in to one and fail.

I have reality and his history on my side, not just "he can do it, I say so".

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, he cant. He's proven it. He cant make every throw. Just take away the easy stuff and check downs and its over. Too many good defenses in the postseason that will force your hand, eventually he will run in to one and fail.

I have reality and his history on my side, not just "he can do it, I say so".

No, that just proved he hasn't won one. He made some clutch plays in the postseason game against the Saint (tight windows, deep, in anticipation), despite having the chance to play better in the NFCC he would have been in the SB in 2011 if not for two fumbled punts giving NYG two red zone scores (the SB appearing Patriots weren't Seattle great in defense so SB was possible for SF), and he produced well in what should have been a win over the Colts (Bowe went too much outside IMO). He's capable and so are a few QBs who haven't won. Matt Ryan could have made it in 2012, but a fumble and a failed third down - but those were on him.

I can't say he will or hasn't and I'm not comparing him to Wilson or Flacco who have won, just saying he is capable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the postseason, eventually a QB will be forced to challenge good defenses downfield. Smith cant do that. He's limited, and predictable. Great decision maker that can win you games and even get to the playoffs, but he's not going to win a title.
Maybe. Whats his postseason track record?

-The shootout win against the Saints with the scramble and the big YAC pass to Vernon Davis.
-The game against the Giants where neither team did squat and eventually the Niners messed up on special teams
-The shootout with the Colts where the Chiefs players dropped like flies

Alex Smith had 2 games where he wasn't a liability at all and 1 where he was. Unless Im missing more postseason games.

Ksfnslayer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well not quite but I don't blame him for trying to get it. I think he still has some real good years ahead possibly at his peak.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, that is a great play. Actually, when Alex has room / time to step up into his throws and doesn't need much velocity on the throw (like a deep, rainbow bomb) Alex is actually extremely accurate. One of the best in the NFL in hitting a guy in stride in that situation.

That said, Alex is not a good QB. He's just bad at getting the ball to the receivers. He's easy to defend (single high & keep 8 in the box most of the time). He throws very few interceptions because of his high-percentage, 0 to 5 yard passes, but he's the king of checking down & punting. I was never more depressed than when he was the Niners' QB and it was 3rd & 7. That means he'd have to throw it 7 yards to get a first down (or hope the RB can pick it up after he catches a 1-yard pass).

I'm sorry; he seems like a really nice guy, but he ain't good! There is no "hate" here. Just objective criticism after 7 years of watching him and his slowballs.
This doesnt mean that he is a bad QB. Just means he will likely never be considered an "elite" QB. What he lacks in velocity he makes up for with football intelligence and this can take him a long way.

I am not comparing him to Peyton, but look what Manning accomplished this year with noticeable loss of velocity on the ball. Also as MHSL82 has pointed out, Alex is taking more shots down the field. I believe he will continue to do so as he gains more confidence in his arm.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are three elite QBs. Nobody else can realistically be compared to them.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. Peyton showed that you dont have to make all the throws to play at an elite level. I was not saying that Alex Smith compares to Peyton, just saying that Peyton proved that you dont have a strong arm to be dominate.

AngryNiner

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really. Peyton showed that you dont have to make all the throws to play at an elite level. I was not saying that Alex Smith compares to Peyton, just saying that Peyton proved that you dont have a strong arm to be dominate.

Or in Alex's case a good QB

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Two of these elite QBs being in the twilight years of their careers.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady wasn't elite last year. Can he rewind the clock?
Yeah, last year only had 1 elite QB and he got dogstomped in the Super Bowl