• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Is Alex Smith worth Franchise QB money?

Is Alex Smith worth Franchise QB money?

• Yes

Votes: 12 22.6%
  • No

Votes: 41 77.4%

• Total voters

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take a case for a healthy RG3.

Cam and Ben are laughable.

I guess everybody is entitled to their opinion but I don't think either of those guys are laughable at this point.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are both bad QBs.

Cam especially so. He's a bottom ten starter in the league.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are both bad QBs.

Let's just say you have very high standards and leave it there...no point to be made going down that road.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are both bad QBs.

Cam last year showed me quite a bit. Before last year I would have agreed with you somewhat. I didn't think he was bottom 10 in the league as there are some horrible starters out there but last year he pretty much has one decent receiver and that was about it yet he somehow found ways to make plays. He also cut down on some of his bonehead plays that he had been making. I just think his skill set offers more for a team than Alex Smith right now.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would have Alex Smith in the 10-15 range.
For sure behind: Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, Rivers, Brees, Big Ben.
Probably behind Luck, Ryan, Flacco, Wilson, Kaepernick.
Probably ahead of Stafford, Newton, Romo, RG3, Culter

RG3, Luck, Newton and probably Wilson should all be assumed to have upside to get better so Smith's value is below them. But to a non rebuilding team like the Chiefs, Smith is worth every penny of a franchise QB contract.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I would have Alex Smith in the 10-15 range.
For sure behind: Peyton, Rodgers, Brady, Rivers, Brees, Big Ben.
Probably behind Luck, Ryan, Flacco, Wilson, Kaepernick.
Probably ahead of Stafford, Newton, Romo, RG3, Culter

RG3, Luck, Newton and probably Wilson should all be assumed to have upside to get better so Smith's value is below them. But to a non rebuilding team like the Chiefs, Smith is worth every penny of a franchise QB contract.

Idk want to say rebuilding, but imo KC will be hard pressed to make the playoffs this year with the FA losses they had and from what I can see they did not reload...Dee Ford will help, but I'm not sure that Smith is worth every penny of a franchise QB.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Idk want to say rebuilding, but imo KC will be hard pressed to make the playoffs this year with the FA losses they had and from what I can see they did not reload...Dee Ford will help, but I'm not sure that Smith is worth every penny of a franchise QB.

They are maneuvering so they can get more cap space in the near future to retain the younger guys like Justin Houston; or resign Smith if they feel like he deserves it. That's a debate for next year though (see the poll results for this year in the Alex Smith Thread) Ford and Gaines weren't drafted on accident. With the cap going up, and guys like Hali (and maybe Flowers as well since they tried to shop him interesting enough) being let go in 2015 perhaps, there should be room to retain young talent. Personally, I think the defense needed more help then the offense when looking at last year in hindsight. In the 2nd half of the year when injuries crept up on the defense, it flat out ran out of gas, and made its lack of depth very apparent. What happened when injuries crept in on defense again in the playoffs? An already dangerous offense led by Luck become seemingly impossible to stop regardless of the high number of INTS on the box score.

What happened when guys like Jamaal and Knile Davis got hurt in the playoff game? Still scored points... a lot of points.

What did the offense do? Take a U-Turn with the oh so maligned O-line (which played better without Albert in the lineup) and receiving corp and put up some points. Not going to say they are going to go 12-4 or something like that, but I think the assumption that the Chiefs miss the playoffs in the 2014-2015 season based off of FA losses is a tad bit flawed. There are other reasons, I just don't think FA's leaving is one of the main ones.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And quite honestly, this is starting to be a trend to find a replacement a year early in the draft for us. Most notably, they have Eric Fisher replacing Brandon Albert this year at LT. Will that go well in the big picture, I don't know, but I will say that this GM doesn't appear to be thinking short term for the most part in the draft.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They are maneuvering so they can get more cap space in the near future to retain the younger guys like Justin Houston; or resign Smith if they feel like he deserves it. That's a debate for next year though (see the poll results for this year in the Alex Smith Thread) Ford and Gaines weren't drafted on accident. With the cap going up, and guys like Hali (and maybe Flowers as well since they tried to shop him interesting enough) being let go in 2015 perhaps, there should be room to retain young talent. Personally, I think the defense needed more help then the offense when looking at last year in hindsight. In the 2nd half of the year when injuries crept up on the defense, it flat out ran out of gas, and made its lack of depth very apparent. What happened when injuries crept in on defense again in the playoffs? An already dangerous offense led by Luck become seemingly impossible to stop regardless of the high number of INTS on the box score.

What happened when guys like Jamaal and Knile Davis got hurt in the playoff game? Still scored points... a lot of points.

What did the offense do? Take a U-Turn with the oh so maligned O-line (which played better without Albert in the lineup) and receiving corp and put up some points. Not going to say they are going to go 12-4 or something like that, but I think the assumption that the Chiefs miss the playoffs in the 2014-2015 season based off of FA losses is a tad bit flawed. There are other reasons, I just don't think FA's leaving is one of the main ones.

Good insight...please note though...I said hardpressed...some of it due to KC, but the other part is the AFC in general I think will be a little tougher...BAL & PIT should rebound to 9 to 10 win type teams at worst, SD/MIA should be better as well...couple that with a such a great start that will be hard to replicate.

Fountain City Blues

Love Everybody
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good insight...please note though...I said hardpressed...some of it due to KC, but the other part is the AFC in general I think will be a little tougher...BAL & PIT should rebound to 9 to 10 win type teams at worst, SD/MIA should be better as well...couple that with a such a great start that will be hard to replicate.

That part about the AFC and schedule I definitely agree with. I am concerned about our FS play and Cooper's development. And that very easily could keep us out of the playoffs. 9-7 may well be more impressive this year than 11-5 was last year in hindsight. I just disagree about the FA losses burning us theory.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The window for Charles and Bowe in their prime is small enough to where you want a vet QB. Or at least thats my logic

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That part about the AFC and schedule I definitely agree with. I am concerned about our FS play and Cooper's development. And that very easily could keep us out of the playoffs. 9-7 may well be more impressive this year than 11-5 was last year in hindsight. I just disagree about the FA losses burning us theory.

I can buy that...you know the squad better than me and the impact those FA players lost had on the team. It may not keep them out of the playoffs, but I still think it's difficult to transition that many starters in one season so we'll have to see.

My brother-n-law is a huge KC fan so I tend to watch their games on the Tkt and I felt TE was need for them since the young promising kid (name escapes me) kept getting hurt. Fasano is just adequate and I know they've drafted TEs so maybe somebody is ready to step...I will say Charles is one of the most dynamic RBs in the league.

9-7 might be more impressive to be honest.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chiefs play the NFC West and the Broncos twice. 9-7 would be fairly impressive.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The window for Charles and Bowe in their prime is small enough to where you want a vet QB. Or at least thats my logic

Agree, but we're talking about a $100 mil contract most likely. I know a few QBs (Flacco, Ryan, Romo) that imo were not superstars got that kind of money, but all of them were likely to get something close to that on the open market, thus their respective teams bucked up to keep them.

Just looking at the landscape of the NFL today, idk who would pay A. Smith a 100 mil contract...yeah, you want to keep him, but I can't pay him that much money to manage games...and I like Smith.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree, but we're talking about a $100 mil contract most likely. I know a few QBs (Flacco, Ryan, Romo) that imo were not superstars got that kind of money, but all of them were likely to get something close to that on the open market, thus their respective teams bucked up to keep them.

Just looking at the landscape of the NFL today, idk who would pay A. Smith a 100 mil contract...yeah, you want to keep him, but I can't pay him that much money to manage games...and I like Smith.
Why wouldn't the Texans do it?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why wouldn't the Texans do it?

That would be one team I could definitely see make that kind of decision. Although they did just get rid of a guy that is comparable to Smith in Schaub. Both got the dreaded "Game Manager" title and while they didn't cost their teams a lot of games they also didn't go out and win a bunch of them either. I will say Houston has enough talent on the roster to be dangerous even with an average quarterback.

Beyond them I could see the Jets as another landing spot. They don't seem too sold on their 2nd year guy and Vick is looking like a guy that every year is going to be tougher to find a job in the NFL.

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith is both more physically talented and smarter than Schaub.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be one team I could definitely see make that kind of decision. Although they did just get rid of a guy that is comparable to Smith in Schaub.
Smith is known for taking care of the ball and Schaub threw a pick 6 every game. Not sure how they are comparable at all. You could make an argument that Smith isnt a massive upgrade over Fitzpatrick but I think there is definitely some improvement there, too

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smith is known for taking care of the ball and Schaub threw a pick 6 every game. Not sure how they are comparable at all. You could make an argument that Smith isnt a massive upgrade over Fitzpatrick but I think there is definitely some improvement there, too

With Schaub in my opinion you have to look at this past season as not indicative of him as a quarterback. I don't know what happened to him but he just fell apart. Before this last year he has been top 10 in quarterback rating for at least the last 5 years and usually had a 2:1 touchdown to interception ratio. He doesn't take care of the ball quite as well as Smith but he also takes a few more chances and usually had double the yards that Smith did.