• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Interesting take on UT being like UT

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennessee got a young coach with "credentials".

Something to think about.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like Tennessee, Texas mightn't get what it wants | Mark Bradley | www.ajc.com

Coaching changes can do some screwy things. Plenty of examples of where it came out worse rather than better.
Just lazy reporting. Lets compare Tennessee to Texas. Programs are different. More importantly Tenn hired a guy that left a wake of minor infractions and left within one yr. That caused mass transfers. Maybe considered the worst hire in the last 30 yrs. Lets not mention FSU or PSU, who seem to have done quite well with their replacements. At the end of the day, any change has risk. Will the next coach be as successful as Brown? That is a hard question. Are we comparing him to the 2000s Brown or the Brown over the last 4 yrs? There is a huge distinction between the 2. When viewing it in that context the risk doesnt seem as high.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just lazy reporting. Lets compare Tennessee to Texas. Programs are different. More importantly Tenn hired a guy that left a wake of minor infractions and left within one yr. That caused mass transfers. Maybe considered the worst hire in the last 30 yrs. Lets not mention FSU or PSU, who seem to have done quite well with their replacements. At the end of the day, any change has risk. Will the next coach be as successful as Brown? That is a hard question. Are we comparing him to the 2000s Brown or the Brown over the last 4 yrs? There is a huge distinction between the 2. When viewing it in that context the risk doesnt seem as high.

I agree the programs are different, but the similarity that would scare me the most is the athletic director situation. I have no clue how good Steve Patterson is but the Dooley hire by Mike Hamilton set the Tennessee program back 5-6 years as opposed to 2-3 from dealing just with Kiffin leaving. The Texas coaching job has a higher appeal to other coaches than the Tennessee job did, but like you said it's not a guarantee hit just because it's Texas. With the amount of talent in the state I'd think if you can replace Brown with a solid recruiter and above average x/o guy that it should be a good situation. Good luck, wouldn't even wish the past 5 years of my football suffering on a bammer.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree the programs are different, but the similarity that would scare me the most is the athletic director situation. I have no clue how good Steve Patterson is but the Dooley hire by Mike Hamilton set the Tennessee program back 5-6 years as opposed to 2-3 from dealing just with Kiffin leaving. The Texas coaching job has a higher appeal to other coaches than the Tennessee job did, but like you said it's not a guarantee hit just because it's Texas. With the amount of talent in the state I'd think if you can replace Brown with a solid recruiter and above average x/o guy that it should be a good situation. Good luck, wouldn't even wish the past 5 years of my football suffering on a bammer.

No, but Fat Phill would:nod:

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
-
Pt is it is similar to several successful transitions also. Tennessee was more than just hiring the wrong guy. This wasnt a Shula to Bama were a guy recruited well, but didnt win at the expected level. Kiffin went scorched earth on Tenn.

Hornsstampede2.0

Guy Who Never Responds
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The recruiting situations are completely different.

Tennessee had to rely on national recruiting.
They were a pioneer of the concept and did not truly understand how hard it was to find a strong national recruiter.

You cannot get a top 25 class simply from the state of Tennessee with consistency.
The state of Texas can produce multiple top 25 classes for 3 or 4 programs by itself.

Whomever Texas hires is going to have a dramatic recruiting headstart over a guy like Derek Dooley.

Yippy ki yay
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,940.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The recruiting situations are completely different.

Tennessee had to rely on national recruiting.
They were a pioneer of the concept and did not truly understand how hard it was to find a strong national recruiter.

You cannot get a top 25 class simply from the state of Tennessee with consistency.
The state of Texas can produce multiple top 25 classes for 3 or 4 programs by itself.

Whomever Texas hires is going to have a dramatic recruiting headstart over a guy like Derek Dooley.

Agreed about the recruiting situations being different and that is just one of the reasons that Texas has more appeal than Tennessee did when looking (there are plenty I know). One thing about the recruiting hotbed of Texas is there are up and coming programs in the state that just add to the other programs that try to recruit the state. UTexas obviously has no problem nor ever will getting highly ranked recruiting classes, but just because you have good recruits doesn't mean you'll be good, which is the reasoning I thought Texas should make sure they get a good x/o guy.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed about the recruiting situations being different and that is just one of the reasons that Texas has more appeal than Tennessee did when looking (there are plenty I know). One thing about the recruiting hotbed of Texas is there are up and coming programs in the state that just add to the other programs that try to recruit the state. UTexas obviously has no problem nor ever will getting highly ranked recruiting classes, but just because you have good recruits doesn't mean you'll be good, which is the reasoning I thought Texas should make sure they get a good x/o guy.
-
This is a major pt for me. I think to be elite you must be proficient at some aspect of the game. Teaching defense or offense. Scheming offense.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am asking a serious question .... no hate, just facts.

Looking back 3 decades, which is what I would consider relevant modern football, UTx doesn't have anything over UTn.

From 1982 - 2012, they are nos. 11 and 12 in win percentage, with UTx having 1 more loss, they have the same number of wins, and UTn has 4 more ties.

They each have a BCS NC. UTn has 5 SEC titles in that time period, UTx has 7 conference titles.

Surprisingly to me, they the have the same number of top 5 finishes in that time period ... 5. Their top 10 and top 25 EOY rankings are very similar.

I think that because UTn has been down for the past decade, they forget how good they were in th 80s and 90s. And, because UTx had a great run from 2001 - 2009, they forget how bad they were in the 80s and 90s.

I make the comparison because I think the misconception is that Texas is the greatest job in the world such that all these accomplished coaches for elite teams would jump at the chance to coach there. Other than offering a gizzillion dollars that one of the coaches might have to take, I don't think we will see a name coach dump an elite job for the UT job. And, like UT, I agree with Bradley in the article that dumping Brown - a known commodity, even with warts - may not lead to this resurgence that UTx fans seem to think will obviously happen and is their birthright. The Fulmer comparison is very apt here, in my opinion.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So what's the question?
Why is it that there is this assumption that the UTx job is one that people think Saban, Harbaugh, etc. would leave elite coaching positions to take?

TexasMan

mfw reading SportsHoopla
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is it that there is this assumption that the UTx job is one that people think Saban, Harbaugh, etc. would leave elite coaching positions to take?
There is no assumption. There's hope, but not assumption.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Because it's the best head coaching job in college football and Tennessee is not? :noidea:

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean was this really even a serious question? :L
Ok, genius, read the thread and look at my post where I lay out how similar the 2 UTs are the past 30 years. Tell me where my stats and analysis are wrong. I've admitted that UTx can write the check. I am addressing what else it is that makes you think it is the best coaching job in the country based on the last 30 years of results.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, genius, read the thread and look at my post where I lay out how similar the 2 UTs are the past 30 years. Tell me where my stats and analysis are wrong. I've admitted that UTx can write the check. I am addressing what else it is that makes you think it is the best coaching job in the country based on the last 30 years of results.

That has nothing to do with it.

Texas is loaded with cash. Money to pay top dollar for everything from assistant coaches , to first class travel, equipment, facilities, recruiting services. That makes it the best job, because it has money to spend.

Camfantasy

Valar Morghulis
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

um.....money, a national brand, the deepest recruiting base in the country, money, the city of Austin, fan support, and money? Are you seriously arguing that Tennessee is as good of a coaching job as Texas? :laugh3: