• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

In September, Chris Smith's girlfriend died, leaving him a single father. Tuesday, Cleveland cut him

Beaker

Dragon's Bane
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My mom died in a car accident when I was a toddler, leaving my dad a single father of 2 very young children. Did my dad deserve an NFL contract because of this tragedy?

It sucks his lady died and it sucks that he wasn't able to hang around in the NFL, but those two things have nothing to do with each other. This is a very stupid article.

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, Pittsburgh for example still carries Shazier's contract so he gets paid and gets medical care. And he's not gonna play again.

Still, I'm not carrying pitchforks against Cleveland for this. The guy still gets his salary for the full year as a veteran. And now he's free to pursue employment with a team that isn't a dumpster fire, if he can hang.
I think what Pitt did with Shazier is admirable but that was something that happened while on the job. It's quite different than this. But I do see your point.

handicappers

FAT STACKS BITCHES
Hoopla Cash
$ 196,499.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My mom died in a car accident when I was a toddler, leaving my dad a single father of 2 very young children. Did my dad deserve an NFL contract because of this tragedy?

It sucks his lady died and it sucks that he wasn't able to hang around in the NFL, but those two things have nothing to do with each other. This is a very stupid article.

Your words are like tiny little daggers of hatred.

VikingFan2k2

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just for reference, Lewis Kelly was an OL for the Vikings when his wife and unborn daughter died because of what I believe was a blood disorder complication in 2002.

Kelly was so distraught over it that he could not play and when he did, he didn't play well. He ended up being a backup until being a camp cut in 2004 despite Coach Tice saying: "Lewis will always have a spot on my team."

He even caught on as a backup with the Giants at one point, but he didn't last very long.

The point is, there cannot and should not be a roster spot saved for someone who has been through a horrible tragedy.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My mom died in 2014. The Browns still haven't offered me a contract.

Fucking Browns.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like he will get to spend more time with his kids now. Browns really did his family a service