• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If the Big 10 is "weak" then what is the ACC?

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get ahead of yourself. I know beating VT means something for an ACC team, but you clearly can't think it's as good as beating someone better like Michigan (our 7th best team).

why? because of their history and tradition:laugh3: Michigan has a couple decent wins, and also squeeked by Akron and UCONN...in 2013 Michigan's history and tradition doesn't mean shit regarding what happens on the field.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
why? because of their history and tradition:laugh3: Michigan has a couple decent wins, and also squeeked by Akron and UCONN...in 2013 Michigan's history and tradition doesn't mean shit regarding what happens on the field.

Yet only 2 years ago they gave VT and by extension the rest of the ACC another loss in a BCS bowl.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not a ton of differences between the two teams that met just over a season ago, when Michigan beat VT.

Also, I love how this logic applies when criticizing Ohio State/the B1G, but then folks also say Ohio State would get killed by an SEC team because it happened once 7 years ago.

Gator

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Christ, now you're putting words in my mouth. I never said they were a great team. They are above average this year. After Ohio St, MSU and Wisconsin, the B1G has similar teams in Minnesota, Michigan and Nebraska and then a bunch of average teams. Does everyone have to be either great or suck to you?

Eric, are we to believe that the entire B1G conference is in Lake Wobegon?
Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the TEAMS are average or above average.

"After Ohio St, MSU and Wisconsin,"
Ohio State 6-0 in-conf and 10-0 overall Above Average
Michigan State 6-0 in-conf and 9-1 overall Above Average
Wisconsin 5-1 in-conf and 8-2 overall Above Average

"the B1G has similar teams in Minnesota, Michigan and Nebraska"
Minnesota 4-2 in-conf and 8-2 overall Above Average
Michigan 3-3 in-conf and 7-3 overall Above Average
Nebraska 4-2 in-conf and 7-3 overall Above Average

"and then a BUNCH of average teams"
Iowa 3-3 in-conf and 6-4 overall Average
Penn State 3-3 in-conf and 6-4 overall Average
Northwestern 0-6 in-conf and 4-6 overall Average
Indiana 2-4 in-conf and 4-6 overall Average
Illinois 0-6 in-conf and 3-7 overall Average
Purdue 0-6 in-conf and 1-9 overall Average

So, half of the B1G conference is above average and then there are a bunch of average teams? Who does that leave to be the "below average teams",
the rest of the FBS teams? :nod:

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the SEC is soft as baby shit this year
what they have going for them is media types that will continue to pimp their teams over everyone else to keep the lie alive

if 6 of those teams were not in the SEC they wouldn't even be ranked

Alabama is the only quality team in the SEC this year the rest are average at best

:laugh3:

because it's so often that a team is ranked 3rd or 4th in the computer composite (auburn) is left out of the top 25 by those biased humans. happens all the time to teams from other conferences, doesn't it?

idiot.

in reality, the middle of the SEC is UNDERRATED by humans. Ole Miss and Georgia are both much higher in the computers than the humans give them credit for.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Ohio State beats VT next year will that be a quality win?

if they are like they are now, decent win, not real high quality though. just as alabama's win over them isn't that high of quality either. the fact they won by 25 and makes it better though.

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:laugh3:

because it's so often that a team is ranked 3rd or 4th in the computer composite (auburn) is left out of the top 25 by those biased humans. happens all the time to teams from other conferences, doesn't it?

idiot.

in reality, the middle of the SEC is UNDERRATED by humans. Ole Miss and Georgia are both much higher in the computers than the humans give them credit for.

So you hate humans?

Oh the humanity!

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a ton of differences between the two teams that met just over a season ago, when Michigan beat VT.

Also, I love how this logic applies when criticizing Ohio State/the B1G, but then folks also say Ohio State would get killed by an SEC team because it happened once 7 years ago.

you'll not hear me say that. and yeah Mich and VT are very similar this year, which is why I was questioning why you stated:

"I know beating VT means something for an ACC team, but you clearly can't think it's as good as beating someone better like Michigan"

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After this weekend they'll be 6th more than likely, while Duke will still be sitting at 3rd (also, Minny is technically tied in conf record for 4th, while Duke is all alone in 3rd).

Also, to be fair, MSU has demonstrated their worth in recent years many times with several solid seasons and even a bowl win over TCU last year. Duke has done nothing, and they have beaten nobody, hence why they are a flash in the pan. I'm sorry, but dude, they are DUKE. They did not just all of the sudden, out of nowhere, become a force to be reckoned with. As I said, it's for the same reason I'm not touting Minnesota (even though there's more of a reason to think they're quality).

Again, why do you give a shit what happened 3-4 years ago regarding Duke? It's the same with Baylor. Baylor was average 4 years ago now there a great team. If you have to use previous history, you'll never convince me.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yet only 2 years ago they gave VT and by extension the rest of the ACC another loss in a BCS bowl.

it was a catch!

Michigan lucked out, VT dominated that game, had a few boneheaded plays that basically handed it to Mich, and then the refs...
catch.gif

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This. If not for their upset up Bama last year, they wouldn't have a single great win, but they get treated as if they're an elite team.

um, ohio state doesn't have a single great win either. they beat #19 wisconsin. congrats. aTm beat #24 ole miss (who happens to be ranked 19th (above wisconsin) in the computers.

i think aTm is a little overrated at the moment (they will have a chance to validate their ranking in the next 2 weeks). they should probably be in the 15-18 range right now with a lot of fluidity in the rankings. this isn't really how the poll works though as voters tend to not give enough credit for big late season wins, just as they don't sometimes punish enough for early season losses.

the fact is, if aTm does beat LSU and Missouri, they probably won't move up very much in the human polls so their "real" ranking would catch up with this "biased" ranking. similarly, if they lose those games, they will fall a lot in the human polls while the computers will probably only hurt them a little. again, they will wind up close to their "true" ranking.

it's super common for a team to get "overrated" in the human polls or "underrated" in the human polls if their schedule is much more difficult early. mississippi state last year, texas tech this year, purdue a couple of times a while ago seemed to always start 5-0 or 6-1, get ranked, and then end up as a 6-7 win team. it happens all the time.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eric, are we to believe that the entire B1G conference is in Lake Wobegon?
Lake Wobegon, where all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the TEAMS are average or above average.

"After Ohio St, MSU and Wisconsin,"
Ohio State 6-0 in-conf and 10-0 overall Above Average
Michigan State 6-0 in-conf and 9-1 overall Above Average
Wisconsin 5-1 in-conf and 8-2 overall Above Average

"the B1G has similar teams in Minnesota, Michigan and Nebraska"
Minnesota 4-2 in-conf and 8-2 overall Above Average
Michigan 3-3 in-conf and 7-3 overall Above Average
Nebraska 4-2 in-conf and 7-3 overall Above Average

"and then a BUNCH of average teams"
Iowa 3-3 in-conf and 6-4 overall Average
Penn State 3-3 in-conf and 6-4 overall Average
Northwestern 0-6 in-conf and 4-6 overall Average
Indiana 2-4 in-conf and 4-6 overall Average
Illinois 0-6 in-conf and 3-7 overall Average
Purdue 0-6 in-conf and 1-9 overall Average

So, half of the B1G conference is above average and then there are a bunch of average teams? Who does that leave to be the "below average teams",
the rest of the FBS teams? :nod:

I don't care about the bottom of the conference. Obviously its gar age on the bottom. I was merely talking about the upper part of the conference. Also OSU, MSU and Wisconsin are better than above average.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, why do you give a shit what happened 3-4 years ago regarding Duke? It's the same with Baylor. Baylor was average 4 years ago now there a great team. If you have to use previous history, you'll never convince me.

Yeah, Baylor was "average" 4 years ago, Duke was terrible 4 years ago.

More believable to go from average to great than from terrible to great.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
still wondering who is calling Duke great

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
um, ohio state doesn't have a single great win either. they beat #19 wisconsin. congrats. aTm beat #24 ole miss (who happens to be ranked 19th (above wisconsin) in the computers.

i think aTm is a little overrated at the moment (they will have a chance to validate their ranking in the next 2 weeks). they should probably be in the 15-18 range right now with a lot of fluidity in the rankings. this isn't really how the poll works though as voters tend to not give enough credit for big late season wins, just as they don't sometimes punish enough for early season losses.

the fact is, if aTm does beat LSU and Missouri, they probably won't move up very much in the human polls so their "real" ranking would catch up with this "biased" ranking. similarly, if they lose those games, they will fall a lot in the human polls while the computers will probably only hurt them a little. again, they will wind up close to their "true" ranking.

it's super common for a team to get "overrated" in the human polls or "underrated" in the human polls if their schedule is much more difficult early. mississippi state last year, texas tech this year, purdue a couple of times a while ago seemed to always start 5-0 or 6-1, get ranked, and then end up as a 6-7 win team. it happens all the time.

Auburn is overrated:10: :yahoo: :suds: :agree:

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was a catch!

Michigan lucked out, VT dominated that game, had a few boneheaded plays that basically handed it to Mich, and then the refs...
catch.gif

From the NCAA rule book:
Incomplete Pass
ARTICLE 7. a. Any forward pass is incomplete if the ball is out of bounds by rule or if it touches the ground when not firmly controlled by a player. It also is incomplete when a player leaves his feet and receives the pass but first lands on or outside a boundary line, unless his progress has been stopped in the field of play or end zone (Rule 4-1-3-p) (A.R. 2-4-3-III and A.R. 7-3-7-I).

Screenshot3.gif

Notice how the ball moves? Therefore he did not have firm control, therefore not a catch.

Now, if only that kicker, who was 4/4 could make that easy field goal.

Last edited by a moderator:

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Ohio State beats VT next year will that be a quality win?

If they are an 8 win team like they will be this year, yes it will be in my opinion a quality win. Obviously quality is a subjective term and everybody's definition is different. And there are different levels of quality as well.