• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If the Big 10 is "weak" then what is the ACC?

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was not aware of the michigan/VT play in dispute but from my unbiased perspective, that 2nd gif shows it as an incomplete pass. i think.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Baylor was "average" 4 years ago, Duke was terrible 4 years ago.

More believable to go from average to great than from terrible to great.

:L

Again, who's calling them great?

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, why do you give a shit what happened 3-4 years ago regarding Duke? It's the same with Baylor. Baylor was average 4 years ago now there a great team. If you have to use previous history, you'll never convince me.

Baylor has now been pretty good for 3 years in a row, they're unbeaten, and they're looking really good doing it. Duke, on the other hand, already has 2 losses to bad teams, has won no more than 6 games in a season in since 1994, and have not been dominant this year. It's a nice story, but don't be so ignorant as to think they're a legit team.

sakau2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Auburn is overrated:10: :yahoo: :suds: :agree:

as it stands right now, slightly. we will probably lose to alabama and drop to our rightful spot. but if we win, we may very well be underrated after the game.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i was not aware of the michigan/VT play in dispute but from my unbiased perspective, that 2nd gif shows it as an incomplete pass. i think.

Yeah, VT thinks they were robbed because it was orginally called a catch and then overturned on replay. Nevermind that it was not a catch, and that they had a chance to kick the field goal (and since that's what they held Michigan to, would have only meant a 2nd OT), or even if they got the TD meant that they could have stopped Michigan from answering with one (because the play calling would have been different since Michigan would have known that they needed a TD)

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
um, ohio state doesn't have a single great win either. they beat #19 wisconsin. congrats. aTm beat #24 ole miss (who happens to be ranked 19th (above wisconsin) in the computers.

i think aTm is a little overrated at the moment (they will have a chance to validate their ranking in the next 2 weeks). they should probably be in the 15-18 range right now with a lot of fluidity in the rankings. this isn't really how the poll works though as voters tend to not give enough credit for big late season wins, just as they don't sometimes punish enough for early season losses.

the fact is, if aTm does beat LSU and Missouri, they probably won't move up very much in the human polls so their "real" ranking would catch up with this "biased" ranking. similarly, if they lose those games, they will fall a lot in the human polls while the computers will probably only hurt them a little. again, they will wind up close to their "true" ranking.

it's super common for a team to get "overrated" in the human polls or "underrated" in the human polls if their schedule is much more difficult early. mississippi state last year, texas tech this year, purdue a couple of times a while ago seemed to always start 5-0 or 6-1, get ranked, and then end up as a 6-7 win team. it happens all the time.

I'm talking about the fact that A&M is far from a complete team and since coming to the SEC has been good but not elite, yet we hear about them in that conversation. I am just saying that if not for that one win over a year ago, we'd be talking about them as being a decent team but far from elite.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, VT thinks they were robbed because it was orginally called a catch and then overturned on replay. Nevermind that it was not a catch, and that they had a chance to kick the field goal (and since that's what they held Michigan to, would have only meant a 2nd OT), or even if they got the TD meant that they could have stopped Michigan from answering with one (because the play calling would have been different since Michigan would have known that they needed a TD)

I don't think we got robbed of the game, we got robbed of a td...the only reason we were in OT was because of boneheaded mistakes after dominating "Shoelaces" and the Wolverine squad, that's what cost us the game

GreenNickle

Go Buckeyes Beat Michigan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as it stands right now, slightly. we will probably lose to alabama and drop to our rightful spot. but if we win, we may very well be underrated after the game.

:wtf2:
That was not the response I was expecting.
You actually gave a logical honest answer.

Now I am bored

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baylor has now been pretty good for 3 years in a row, they're unbeaten, and they're looking really good doing it. Duke, on the other hand, already has 2 losses to bad teams, has won no more than 6 games in a season in since 1994, and have not been dominant this year. It's a nice story, but don't be so ignorant as to think they're a legit team.

How is it ignorant to think they are an above average team this year. They have a better resume than both Nebraska and Michigan as of this point.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interestingly enough, back to the Danny Coale catch, for 2013 and beyond, that is a TD (not that it helps the Sugar Bowl)
Scout.com: Zemek Thought: The Control The Catch Rule

Rule 2, Section 4, Article 3
c. If the player loses control of the ball while simultaneously touching the ground with any part of his body, or if there is doubt that the acts were simultaneous, it is not a catch. If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball, even if it touches the ground, will not be considered loss of possession; he must lose control of the ball in order for there to be a loss of possession.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think we got robbed of the game, we got robbed of a td...the only reason we were in OT was because of boneheaded mistakes after dominating "Shoelaces" and the Wolverine squad, that's what cost us the game

Well in either case VT wasn't "robbed." After the review, the correct call per the rules was made.

But hey, thems the breaks, at the end of the day Michigan made more plays than VT, because they also they also had their fair share of boneheaded mistakes that VT could have taken advantage of.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How is it ignorant to think they are an above average team this year. They have a better resume than both Nebraska and Michigan as of this point.

ND is right on the cusp of being ranked and Michigan dominated them. That is better than anything Duke has done. I never said it's ignorant to think they are above average. This entire argument started because I said they were not a very good team, though, yet they are the 3rd best team in the conference. Nebraska has beaten Michigan already, so I'd say that's better as well.

I'm not saying that using stats from 6 years ago matters, but using the last few seasons clearly is, considering many of the same coaches and players are all still there on the team. Duke has beaten some average or below-average teams, but they just flat out aren't as talented as at least 6 of the teams in the B1G. I don't know if there is a chance of them matching up with one in bowl season, but it isn't going to change that. If you think a Duke team who has been a nothing with the same players for the last few years is all of the sudden something to brag about, then I don't know what to tell you.

GoBlueNavyNuke

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interestingly enough, back to the Danny Coale catch, for 2013 and beyond, that is a TD (not that it helps the Sugar Bowl)
Scout.com: Zemek Thought: The Control The Catch Rule

Rule 2, Section 4, Article 3
c. If the player loses control of the ball while simultaneously touching the ground with any part of his body, or if there is doubt that the acts were simultaneous, it is not a catch. If a player has control of the ball, a slight movement of the ball, even if it touches the ground, will not be considered loss of possession; he must lose control of the ball in order for there to be a loss of possession.

Picture Pages: Was It a Catch? | mgoblog

Yes, this is a Michigan source but it very fair.

And again, that section has the mention of having control of the ball. Coale was not in control of the ball when he landed, therefore not a catch.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well in either case VT wasn't "robbed." After the review, the correct call per the rules was made.

But hey, thems the breaks, at the end of the day Michigan made more plays than VT, because they also they also had their fair share of boneheaded mistakes that VT could have taken advantage of.

we'll get ya in 2020:D

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ND is right on the cusp of being ranked and Michigan dominated them. That is better than anything Duke has done. I never said it's ignorant to think they are above average. This entire argument started because I said they were not a very good team, though, yet they are the 3rd best team in the conference. Nebraska has beaten Michigan already, so I'd say that's better as well.

I'm not saying that using stats from 6 years ago matters, but using the last few seasons clearly is, considering many of the same coaches and players are all still there on the team. Duke has beaten some average or below-average teams, but they just flat out aren't as talented as at least 6 of the teams in the B1G. I don't know if there is a chance of them matching up with one in bowl season, but it isn't going to change that. If you think a Duke team who has been a nothing with the same players for the last few years is all of the sudden something to brag about, then I don't know what to tell you.

Notre Dame, Miami, and Va Tech are all somewhere between 25-30 in the computers. There's basically no difference in any of those teams. Va Tech and Miami are ahead of both Michigan and Nebraska in the computers. Like I've been saying the wins are basically equal. Although Duke has two top 30 wins compared to just one each for Nebraska and Michigan. This is why your opinion is flawed. You put more weight into beating ND and Michigan than the resume suggests.

And being talented doesn't mean jack shit. ND has two first rounders on the D-Line and their defense is average to below average.

757Hokie83

Captain Spaulding
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can disagree all you like, you're still wrong and Michigan still has the W. :smokin:

breaking-bad-fu.gif

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you say "bowl requirement" I think of winning 6 games to be bowl eligible or the BCS bowl requirements. So forgive for thinking you meant the requirements to go bowling when you said "bowl requirement" (airdale :L)

But again, until FSU actually beats someone worth a damn, I am going question the validity of those wins. For example, Michigan was able to put up record numbers against Indiana a few weeks back. So does Michigan have an elite offense? Clearly no, but they looked it because they played Indiana. That's why I mention FSU's schedule, because it puts what they are doing in context, and context is important my friend. And being king of the ACC doesn't mean a damn thing in my book until the ACC starting doing something worth a damn.

Well your book does not matter because the history of FSU in big games completely contradicts your assertion from the get go. Every coach and analyst will tell you that FSU has faired very well in big games since 1992. I guess we can leave it at that because we both know you do not want to take the time to do what I have asked you to do. Actually analyze the teams themselves.