• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL If prime Jordan played in today's NBA - would he be the best?

If prime Jordan played in today's NBA - would he be the best?

• Total voters

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he was working on it so much how come he never attempted more than an average of 1.7 three point shots during his career? In fact his career high was 3.6 during one season.

Logic says if you're trying to improve an aspect of your game youd shoot more than two attempts per game.

Well, maybe not logically for a little boy
Unless you were not good at making them after taking a ton of shots in practice.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that watered down Dream Team era...

Those Finals teams he played were pretty darn good
played a lot of 1 and done Finals teams...I'd say he played better teams in the East.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless you were not good at making them after taking a ton of shots in practice.

Do you honestly think, being the player he was, that Jordan wouldn't have improved an aspect of his game if he really wanted to?

The fact remains that the 3 point shot wasn't as prevalent back in the 90s as it is now. There was no reason to change his game when he was already the best player in the league, winning MVPs and Championships left and right.

Put it this way, last season the Spurs took the least amount of 3 pointers per game at 24.8
Back in 2004-05, AFTER Jordan had retired, the Suns took the most 3 pointers per game at 23.9

League average for 3 point shots taken last season: 32.0
League average for 3 point shots taken in 1991 when the Bulls won their first title: 7.1

Hell of a difference. I mean, I can throw stats and numbers at you all day long if you want but it'll only prove my point further.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the record,

I do not like the style of play from the 90s compared to today’s style.

But like I said, Jordan was not going up against Dumars. He was going up up against Dumars and a team full of hooligans ready to crush him on every drive.

No, modern players do not have to deal with anything close to that for 2 reasons:

1) the NBA correctly legislated out the hard non-basketball play fouls
2) there are far more shooters on the court today spreading the floor and making defenses pay for overhelping on rim attacks.

So no. A player like Harden for example does not face anywhere near the level of resistance at the rim that Jordan did in his prime.

I enjoy both styles of play but the NBA had to do something once the games got so physical offense became extremely difficy to come by. We had entire playoff series where a team didn't score a hundred.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
played a lot of 1 and done Finals teams...I'd say he played better teams in the East.

One and Done Finals teams who were legit contenders if the Bulls weren't around. The West was quite evenly stacked in the 90s

The Jazz, Sonics, and Rockets were damn good teams. Better than what the East had to offer at the time outside of the Bulls

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly. The Bulls did have some battles in the East.

I will say that MJ's East was stronger than Lebron's East pretty much across the board outside of the three amigos Celtics.

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
other than his 1.5 year rest to play baseball?
He got a little cocky and decided he could be a pro in the two hardest sports there are, baseball and golf; failed miserably in both but he was one hell of a basketball player.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I enjoy both styles of play but the NBA had to do something once the games got so physical offense became extremely difficy to come by. We had entire playoff series where a team didn't score a hundred.
I think there was a Pistons Pacers playoff game with a final score of like 72-68
That's bullshit ball, I don't care about that "tough defense" back then today's game is way more entertaining

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He got a little cocky and decided he could be a pro in the two hardest sports there are, baseball and golf; failed miserably in both but he was one hell of a basketball player.
There's a credible theory that he was forced to take a break by David Stern due to gambling issues

Montalban

Hoopla Cash
$ 925.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a credible theory that he was forced to take a break by David Stern due to gambling issues
Really? I'd never heard that before but he does have a rep as a big time gambler.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there was a Pistons Pacers playoff game with a final score of like 72-68
That's bullshit ball, I don't care about that "tough defense" back then today's game is way more entertaining

One playoff game? In 2004, The Pistons held team under 70 points ELEVEN TIMES, including a stretch of 5 games in a row.

What they play today isn’t defense — they’ve shifted all the foul calls to benefit the offense and ‘physical play’ is a thing of the past.

Imagine Shaquille O’Neal in today’s NBA, where you can’t even body an opponent. How would you stop that monstrosity of a human?!?

They made the NBA entertaining if points is what you want to see, but the days of hard nosed defensive teams having a shot to win is long gone.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That all depends.

I prefer the style of basketball they play now but I'd rather watch a tough defensive game with a score where neither team hits 100 over a no-D 134-129 game.

It was a lot more impressive to score 30+ points back then, than it is now.

Last edited:
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A seven-facepalm thread without getting sent to Fouled Out.

Must be some kind of record.

Black Adam

Cowards WILL BE cowards..
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That all depends.

I prefer the style of basketball but I'd rather watch a tough defensive game with a score where neither team hits 100 over a no-D 134-129 game.

It was a lot more impressive to score 30+ points back then, than it is now.

players DID pride themselves on defense more back then...

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not necessarily. Both styles are pretty entertaining. I think the 80's had the best mix of ball movement and physical play.

The 90's was still fun. Guys were taking their lives into their hands driving the lane. There were some pretty entertaining fights too.

Today's game is more free flowing than any time I can remember. It could actually use a little more physical play though.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you honestly think, being the player he was, that Jordan wouldn't have improved an aspect of his game if he really wanted to?

The fact remains that the 3 point shot wasn't as prevalent back in the 90s as it is now. There was no reason to change his game when he was already the best player in the league, winning MVPs and Championships left and right.

Put it this way, last season the Spurs took the least amount of 3 pointers per game at 24.8
Back in 2004-05, AFTER Jordan had retired, the Suns took the most 3 pointers per game at 23.9

League average for 3 point shots taken last season: 32.0
League average for 3 point shots taken in 1991 when the Bulls won their first title: 7.1

Hell of a difference. I mean, I can throw stats and numbers at you all day long if you want but it'll only prove my point further.
Actually, yeah, I do think it's very possible he just isn't a very good 3 point shooter.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One and Done Finals teams who were legit contenders if the Bulls weren't around. The West was quite evenly stacked in the 90s

The Jazz, Sonics, and Rockets were damn good teams. Better than what the East had to offer at the time outside of the Bulls
He never faced the Rockets. and, yes, these were good teams, but we aren't talking the Warriors or spurs from this era IMO.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possibly. The Bulls did have some battles in the East.

I will say that MJ's East was stronger than Lebron's East pretty much across the board outside of the three amigos Celtics.
I agree. And Lebron played tougher teams in the Finals....why I think Lebron got to the Finals more, but MJ won more when he was there.

dtgold88

Hoopla Cash
$ 341.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One playoff game? In 2004, The Pistons held team under 70 points ELEVEN TIMES, including a stretch of 5 games in a row.

What they play today isn’t defense — they’ve shifted all the foul calls to benefit the offense and ‘physical play’ is a thing of the past.

Imagine Shaquille O’Neal in today’s NBA, where you can’t even body an opponent. How would you stop that monstrosity of a human?!?

They made the NBA entertaining if points is what you want to see, but the days of hard nosed defensive teams having a shot to win is long gone.
Pretty sure they took less shots back then and it played as big a role as the alleged tough play. Also too less 3s.