• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

POLL If prime Jordan played in today's NBA - would he be the best?

If prime Jordan played in today's NBA - would he be the best?

• Total voters

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What was Jordan fg% against Dumars? I'm sure it was below his average. Dumars is only 6-3 and isn't particularly athletic and this is the best defender the NBA had to offer at the time. As time went on it only got worse, with guys like Starks touted as great defenders that Jordan faced. Today, it would only be worse for him with having to face players with quick feet, long arms and over 6-3. We all know he had to push off Byron Russell to get his shot off, what would he have to do if Paul George was on him.

And every star has to face a team of defenders when being guarded, why do you think Jordan special in that regard?

I grew up watching the Bad Boy Pistons teams. While Dumars was a great defender — what made Dumars great against Jordan were the fouls Bill Laimbeer and Rick Mahorn were waiting to give him in the lane.

It was literally the Pistons game plan to not just beat Jordan, but to beat him up. If a team played the defense the Pistons used on Jordan in today’s NBA — they wouldn’t be able to field a starting 5 by the end of the game. They’d be handing out Flagarant 1 techs like candy. That’s a big reason I laugh with the comment about Jordan not being as dominant today. You can’t even hand check in today’s NBA — it is a powder puff league right now. They tailored the league to raise scoring — same thing the NFL has done and the MLB has done. Fans want to see points scored.

Give Jordan today’s foul calls and he’d literally average 20 FT’s a game.

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I grew up watching the Bad Boy Pistons teams. While Dumars was a great defender — what made Dumars great against Jordan were the fouls Bill Laimbeer and Rick Mahorn were waiting to give him in the lane.

It was literally the Pistons game plan to not just beat Jordan, but to beat him up. If a team played the defense the Pistons used on Jordan in today’s NBA — they wouldn’t be able to field a starting 5 by the end of the game. They’d be handing out Flagarant 1 techs like candy. That’s a big reason I laugh with the comment about Jordan not being as dominant today. You can’t even hand check in today’s NBA — it is a powder puff league right now. They tailored the league to raise scoring — same thing the NFL has done and the MLB has done. Fans want to see points scored.

Give Jordan today’s foul calls and he’d literally average 20 FT’s a game.

MJ was the most coddled star the NBA has ever seen, a few hard fouls don't make up for all the preferential treatment he got from the refs. Jordan benefited from the no hand check rule before it was a rule. Please stop listening to Nike.

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
giphy.gif

wooooooooooooooooooooood... Oh sorry, wrong thread... carry on

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would he accomplish this?

I think MJ already tried improving his 3 point game because he always had drive to be a complete player. It was a failure that's why he never shot the 3 as much.

Offensive players who excel now make a lot of threes, but would people be able to stop him otherwise? I know you address this with saying that the triangle doesn’t work to hide things like it did before, but he can expand his game in other ways. I don’t know if you would use the triangle now anyway. I don’t think he was a product of that.

I already conceded that he wouldn’t necessarily win six championships in the alternate universe, but I would also add that he might not average as much, but he could still be the best player. Who knows?

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How would he accomplish this?

I think MJ already tried improving his 3 point game because he always had drive to be a complete player. It was a failure that's why he never shot the 3 as much.

That’s his job to figure out, not mine. It’s above my pay grade. ;)

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Your mom changing your diaper every 3 days doesn't count, cupcake.

You're living in the past, that hasn't happen since I was one years old. That's why you are stuck on Jordan being the GOAT, times have changed, you need to keep up. I don't know why you can't hold on to the past when it comes to the traditional role of women but with Jordan you hold on to the past. If you could keep yourself in the kitchen, you would be happier along with the rest of the world.

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.43
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're living in the past, that hasn't happen since I was one years old. That's why you are stuck on Jordan being the GOAT, times have changed, you need to keep up. I don't know why you can't hold on to the past when it comes to the traditional role of women but with Jordan you hold on to the past. If you could keep yourself in the kitchen, you would be happier along with the rest of the world.

So you think because you get your diaper changed regularly by mommy I think Jordan is the GOAT?

giphy.gif

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you think because you get your diaper changed regularly by mommy I think Jordan is the GOAT?

giphy.gif

You have a reading comprehension problem. I thought woman were good at reading. You don't cook, you don't clean, you live in the past except for the important things. You're a disappoint SD.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
buncha potato salad lovers in this thread... sad.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imagine the records if Jordan didn't get bored with dominating all of basketball...

Bart

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes i'm a dissapoint.

Clearly some of us have trouble writing coherent sentences too.

Don’t be tough on yourself, no one expects that much from a chick. Just keep the house clean and the meals warm, you’ll be fine.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MJ was the most coddled star the NBA has ever seen, a few hard fouls don't make up for all the preferential treatment he got from the refs. Jordan benefited from the no hand check rule before it was a rule. Please stop listening to Nike.

I don’t have to listen to anyone. I watched Jordan’s entire career and I’ve watched Lebron’s career.
I was a Pistons fan, so I got to watch Jordan a ton.

In Jordan’s Era — teams played defense and there was no such thing as a ‘flagrant foul’. Every team hammered players trying to get to the basket and no team did it more than the Pistons, hence the nickname Bad Boys.

Today’s NBA you can’t breathe on a player without getting whistled for a foul and players look like soccer players the way they flop all over the place, even when they aren’t even tocuhed. Lebron is the #1 offender when it comes to this.

I like Lebron (I have a framed autographed jersey from his rookie season in my basement) — he is the most physically gifted player the NBA has seen, but not the most talented. He lacks the killer instinct the all time great had and disappears way too often when the game is on the line.

They did a survey of the current GM’s a year or two ago — asked them the question:
Last possession and you need to score to win, who would you pick to have the ball in his hands? Jordan, Lebron, Bird, Kobe

Bird and Kobe each had 2 votes. Lebron had 0 votes (these are the GM’s watching him on a nightly basis)
Jordan was the vote for the rest of them.

lebron23james

Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t have to listen to anyone. I watched Jordan’s entire career and I’ve watched Lebron’s career.
I was a Pistons fan, so I got to watch Jordan a ton.

In Jordan’s Era — teams played defense and there was no such thing as a ‘flagrant foul’. Every team hammered players trying to get to the basket and no team did it more than the Pistons, hence the nickname Bad Boys.

Today’s NBA you can’t breathe on a player without getting whistled for a foul and players look like soccer players the way they flop all over the place, even when they aren’t even tocuhed. Lebron is the #1 offender when it comes to this.

I like Lebron (I have a framed autographed jersey from his rookie season in my basement) — he is the most physically gifted player the NBA has seen, but not the most talented. He lacks the killer instinct the all time great had and disappears way too often when the game is on the line.

They did a survey of the current GM’s a year or two ago — asked them the question:
Last possession and you need to score to win, who would you pick to have the ball in his hands? Jordan, Lebron, Bird, Kobe

Bird and Kobe each had 2 votes. Lebron had 0 votes (these are the GM’s watching him on a nightly basis)
Jordan was the vote for the rest of them.

In my day we walked to school in the snow uphill 2 miles

Players now a days are stronger, faster and better...Same way car today are built stronger, faster and better than in the 80's...

Jordans amazing highlights of "soaring through the air" look like a poor mans blake griffin in todays nba