• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

IF Peyton doesn't win a Super Bowl With Denver will he be a "bust"

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now all these "weapons" was that because of Elway or the fact that Manning got say in who he wanted?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now all these "weapons" was that because of Elway or the fact that Manning got say in who he wanted?

All these "weapons" were pretty much in Denver before Manning came into the picture. D. Thomas and J. Thomas were both drafted before Manning. Sanders and Welker obviously were brought in but the offense did just fine with another guy drafted before Manning in Decker. Now if we are actually looking at the team D. Thomas and Decker were actually drafted before Elway came into the picture. J. Thomas was a part of Elway's first draft. I think Elway does know what kind of weapons work best for the offense the Broncos want to run and has done a great job of going and getting those type of players. It is why Sanders is having a career year with the Broncos in he just fits our offense better.

Now having said that Manning is what has made these guys become household names. D. Thomas has talked about how Manning truly has made him into the player he is today by just demanding perfection and actually even teaching him how to run better routes. I mean when your quarterback is a glorified OC, WR coach, OL Coach, RB coach, and just all around coach it definitely improves the team. He works with every unit of the offense making sure they are all completely on the same page doing the same thing. So that is a long-winded way of saying both Manning and Elway have had a lot to do with this offense being as good as it is and having the weapons that they do.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's pretty much been covered but I'll add my two cents. Getting to and winning a Superbowl is one of the most difficult things to do in professional sports. Having Peyton Manning as the quarterback of the Broncos has put Denver in contention each of his last two (maybe three now) years here. Although the Broncos lost in blowout fashion to the Seahawks in last year's Superbowl, there are 30 other teams that would have killed to have a shot at even being there. As much as fans of Manning and/or the Broncos want to see him win another Superbowl, he has already fulfilled what the organization was looking for, IMO.

The debate about the greatest of all time in quarterbacking history will always rage on and will evolve like the game does. This NFL fan believes that Manning is the greatest of all time. He certainly won't retire with the most championship rings but I truly believe that winning the Superbowl is 100% a team accomplishment. No other quarterback has transcended the game of football like Manning. Making an even stronger argument for him is the poise, class and dignity that he carries himself with off of the field. I realize that there are many that will disagree with me on that but I have felt that way long before Peyton was a member of the Denver Broncos.

To be performing at the level that he is currently, at his age and after four neck surgeries is nothing short of remarkable. The man has a competitive spirit that is unparalleled. Many people thought he was done after the 2011 season but he has somehow gotten better. Unbelievable!! He looks like he may play another 2-3 years at this rate.

I agree with cd that Elway and the Broncos organization may look at the end result as less than achieving the goal if the Broncos don't win a Superbowl with Manning at the helm but this fan cherishes every single Sunday that he laces 'em up. After all, the NFL is entertainment for the fans and he renders my team competitive every single week. That's all I could ask for. Go Broncos!

MH64

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
" Peyton Manning only loses because his defense sucks OR because he wasnt surrounded by enough talent OR because the breaks didnt go his way OR because his coaching staff sucked OR because the sun was in his eyes OR because his hands were too sweaty due to the centers ass being abnormally moist OR because he had to play against Tom Brady... oops forget that last one!!!" - Manning fans.

Now on a serious note the answer is no. It takes a lot to win a SB and Manning is only a part of it. However this team he is on now is by far the best team he has had in his career.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
" Peyton Manning only loses because his defense sucks OR because he wasnt surrounded by enough talent OR because the breaks didnt go his way OR because his coaching staff sucked OR because the sun was in his eyes OR because his hands were too sweaty due to the centers ass being abnormally moist OR because he had to play against Tom Brady... oops forget that last one!!!" - Manning fans.

Now on a serious note the answer is no. It takes a lot to win a SB and Manning is only a part of it. However this team he is on now is by far the best team he has had in his career.

Don't know whether to laugh or just shake my head at your first part. Yes Manning and Brady both have their fans that will always try to build up one while tearing down the other. My opinion is they are both 1st Ballot HOF players so arguing one over the other is just ridiculous at this point. They both have their plusses and minuses that can support the argument. For me I would take Manning but if somebody else took Brady I wouldn't be surprised one bit. They have given us as fans one of the greatest sports rivalries in history. It could be a long time before we see something like this again in the NFL.

rmilia1

Hoopla Cash
$ 86,060.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't know whether to laugh or just shake my head at your first part. Yes Manning and Brady both have their fans that will always try to build up one while tearing down the other. My opinion is they are both 1st Ballot HOF players so arguing one over the other is just ridiculous at this point. They both have their plusses and minuses that can support the argument. For me I would take Manning but if somebody else took Brady I wouldn't be surprised one bit. They have given us as fans one of the greatest sports rivalries in history. It could be a long time before we see something like this again in the NFL.

Fucking A right it is. LOL. :suds:

redseat

Hoopla Cash
$ 943.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i will say this much... Manning does a heck of a lot of better commercials than Brady! lol

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. Based on how well he's played and the fact that Denver at least reached the Super Bowl, I wouldn't call it a bust. Slightly disappointing, but not a bust.

I have family in Brighton..Bust is too strong and slightly disappointing not strong enough...if they make it back and he plays well in a loss...not much shine taken off...if he plays poorly in another loss...quite a bit of shine will be taken of his legacy in DEN.

If they never get back...just depends on how he plays.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elway didn't sign PMFM in order to get blown out in a SB. Failure to win it all is failure, in my opinion. Label that as you like, if it comes to that.
The late Vince Lombardi once said there is only one winner and everyone else are losers.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As a Denver fan and the QBs we had to go through to get from Elway to Peyton, I'd be a bit disappointed if we don't win a Super Bowl with Peyton, but by no means would I consider him a bust. I'm just grateful that we don't have to watch Brian Griese, Gus Frerotte, Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler, Kyle Orton or Tim Tebow try to resemble an NFL QB.

The fact that I'm a Braves and UGA fan to go along with a Denver fan has me immune to extreme disappointment, so in no way could I call arguably the best QB of all time a bust. And please note, I said arguably to avoid that debate.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree with your list but I actually thought Jake Plummer was a decent quarterback for us. Shanahan made a stupid mistake of drafting Cutler as Plummer had just taken us to the AFC Championship game and played great all year. IF we could have just shored up a few of our issues like DT (Ngata was taken the pick right after Cutler and most Bronco fans thought we were going to draft him) I think Plummer would have done just fine.

Chewbaccer

Illustrious Potentate
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would agree with your list but I actually thought Jake Plummer was a decent quarterback for us. Shanahan made a stupid mistake of drafting Cutler as Plummer had just taken us to the AFC Championship game and played great all year. IF we could have just shored up a few of our issues like DT (Ngata was taken the pick right after Cutler and most Bronco fans thought we were going to draft him) I think Plummer would have done just fine.

Plummer was definitely the best of the bunch, I do agree with you there, and the Broncos were 7-4 and probably playoff bound when they benched Plummer for Cutler who ultimately collapsed for the first of at least 3 times.

It's funny, I loved Cutler when he was with Denver, but looking back, getting rid of him might be the only good thing Josh McDaniels did for Denver.

Balljim55

Abnormally Average
Hoopla Cash
$ 35,250.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #3
When Peyton retires he will be considered one of the best - if not the best - to ever play the game.
No QB out works him
No QB has a better understanding of the game or the weekly opponent.
No QB recognizes what's happening on the field any better.
No modern day QB calls all his own plays.
Add some pretty outstanding stats and you got a pretty fair QB.
No way he is a bust.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plummer was definitely the best of the bunch, I do agree with you there, and the Broncos were 7-4 and probably playoff bound when they benched Plummer for Cutler who ultimately collapsed for the first of at least 3 times.

It's funny, I loved Cutler when he was with Denver, but looking back, getting rid of him might be the only good thing Josh McDaniels did for Denver.

Yeah hindsight it looks like one of his best moves and even though Marshall is having a great career in Chicago he needed to go too. Denver just had too many bad memories for him.

Now Plummer obviously wasn't Manning but like I said I did like what he brought to the table. He reminds me a lot of Alex Smith. He won't ever be in the elite category but he just finds ways to win. It won't always be pretty but at the end of the day all that matters is you got the win.

sonnyblack65

Hoopla Cash
$ 40,000.79
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guy has made well over 200 million in football alone, plus who knows how much in endorsements, throw in 20 Papa Johns and guy will never be a bust. Throw in his MVPs, and the TD record which I doubt will be broken for many many years. How many QB's can start for 250 games? Between injuries and not starting right away, not too many. Guy is a winner

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the disappointing but not a bust theory. They have dominated the regular season getting home field the last two years and have a decent shot to do it again this year. Gotta say I am really impressed how they improved from last year and they were already pretty good last year.

PatsFan2003

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no doubt that he will be known as a bust throughout most of New England.
Yesterday was a big Brady vs Manning day on the local sports radio stations. Silly huh?

Still its hard to imagine a lot of people won't be very disapointed if Denver doesn't win it all this year.

One of the best of all time regardless.

Last edited by a moderator:

wingsauce7

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.38
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only bust that will be labeled Manning will be the one sitting in Canton.

Pretty clever huh?