• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

If AP Can't Do It, No One Can

Barring Injury, Will AP break Smith's Rushing Records

• Yes, Both

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Yes, Yards

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Yes, TDs

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • No

Votes: 48 87.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The year off may benefit him long term. It game him a year to rest his body and recover from any lingering injuries. Reminds me of in hockey, future HOF goalie Martin Brodeur said the lockout in 2005 probably prolonged his career 4-5 years because it allowed him to rest his body and fully recover.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Emmitt Smith claims that if AP can't break the career rushing records, then no one will, or at least not for a long time. AP needs 1336 yards rushing per season for the next 5 years to break Smith's record before he turns 36. The task is made even more daunting by the fact that he will need to gain 2000 yards more than any player has ever run for after the age of 31 (which he turns next month) in NFL History, just to get close.

As for the career TDs, that's a bit more doable. He's 67 behind Smith - but John Riggins showed that you could score TDs at an advanced age (62 after he turned 31).

So, will AP defy age, or will he fall short?
31 is the age when most RB's begin to decline.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if he popped off 1700 each of the next 2 seasons (something he's only done 2 other times), he'd still need to average nearly 1100 over the following next 3 to get there.

Not saying it's impossible, but I'd put it at about 30% he gets there.
I'll say his chances are slim and none.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a shame Barry Sanders retired when he did, I struggle with Emmitt Smith being the rushing king.

Sanders believed that the Lions didn't wanna win (1998), which still rings pretty much true unto 2016. Also, there's a couple of good story's out there about Sanders (College and NFL) not caring about breaking records, just helping the team with wins. I guess it was the last straw when the front office started getting rid of the Pro Bowl O Linemen rather than work out a deal to keep them that got Sanders to throw in the towel. The only thing I liked about Matt Millen during his tenure was asking Sanders to come back in 2001 when he became the President and GM.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Will he take care of his kids that he doesn't see is the bigger concern. Peterson is trash and no hero.
Lets keep this discussion on his chances to break the record and not on how good a father you think he is.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sanders believed that the Lions didn't wanna win (1998), which still rings pretty much true unto 2016. Also, there's a couple of good story's out there about Sanders (College and NFL) not caring about breaking records, just helping the team with wins. I guess it was the last straw when the front office started getting rid of the Pro Bowl O Linemen rather than work out a deal to keep them that got Sanders to throw in the towel. The only thing I liked about Matt Millen during his tenure was asking Sanders to come back in 2001 when he became the President and GM.
If Barry Sanders had gone to Green Bay he'd have played more years and become the all time rushing champion. It is a pity his talents were wasted in Detroit. Green Bay made a mistake by picking Tony Mandarich ahead of Sanders.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Barry Sanders had gone to Green Bay he'd have played more years and become the all time rushing champion. It is a pity his talents were wasted in Detroit. Green Bay made a mistake by picking Tony Mandarich ahead of Sanders.
Detroit wouldn't let him go due to his Contract, even trading him would've been taking it up the rear. There were some untrue rumors of Sanders wanting to go to Miami so Dan Marino would have a running game to get a Super Bowl ring.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit wouldn't let him go due to his Contract, even trading him would've been taking it up the rear. There were some untrue rumors of Sanders wanting to go to Miami so Dan Marino would have a running game to get a Super Bowl ring.
As I recall Green Bay had the #2 pick in the first round of the 1989 draft and selected Tony Mandarich ahead of Detroit.

LionsWhyMe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,325.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I recall Green Bay had the #2 pick in the first round of the 1989 draft and selected Tony Mandarich ahead of Detroit.
The Packers had Dorsey Levens who put in a pretty good year of 1,400+ yards the year before. RB wasn't in high demands.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Packers had Dorsey Levens who put in a pretty good year of 1,400+ yards the year before. RB wasn't in high demands.
Maybe so but Mandarich was a bust.

TheStarOne

Militem Octoginta
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think AP has two things going for him. He has a mediocre QB..And he has Norv Turner as Ocoordinator. Norv was the architect of the 90's COWBOYS......and EMMITT was 50+% of the COWBOY'S offense. I think if Bridgewater improves, I don't think AP will break it. EMMITT was in a unique situation.......you know,, all those Hall of Famers

Brutal

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

For Sanders to do what he did on those Lion teams is more impressive to me than what Smith accomplished behind that great 0 line and in that offense. And, Sanders has a far superior average per carry, which is the stat that tells it all.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were both right.

The league is arbitrary and capricious in its discipline. However, this was a case of the blind squirrel finding an acorn. Peterson got approximately what he deserved
Except that Peterson did not choose to cost himself a year. The league chose that later for him.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not here to pass judgement, but I'd say the sentiment was 50-50 nationwide, as far as whether he was wrong or not. I disagree with how he scolded his children, but I also can't equate it to any experiences in my lifetime. I wasn't raised like him, so.... :noidea:

BUT - you also can't fault the league here. Sponsors were threatening to pull $$$. AP put the league behind the proverbial 8-ball. He was arrogant and aloof in the days and weeks after it came to light. Maybe if he'd been more contrite, who knows if he might have gotten different treatment.
I don't disagree, but all I claimed was the league cost Peterson a year. That's a fact because it was up to the league.

The league being too chicken shit to move on from bad sponsors to more appropriate league sponsors is another matter with a whole bunch of variables.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The year off may benefit him long term. It game him a year to rest his body and recover from any lingering injuries. Reminds me of in hockey, future HOF goalie Martin Brodeur said the lockout in 2005 probably prolonged his career 4-5 years because it allowed him to rest his body and fully recover.
I hope so! Peterson has been a joy to watch on the football field and as a football player that is the entirety of which I base him on as a football fan.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AP's not most RB's.

True, but he would have shatter NFL records to even come close. He turns 31 during the offseason - and his performance for the remainder of his career will have to outstrip any other running back by a wide margin:

Rushing Yards - 18355
Yards Needed - 6681
NFL Record - 4607 (John Henry Johnson, 1960-1966)
Difference - 2074

Rushing TDs - 164
TDs Needed - 68
Record - 62 (John Riggins, 1981-1985)
Difference - 6

If he stays healthy - he may be able to get up to Sanders - but I'm not sure he is gonna reach Payton, let alone Smith.