• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ideal Playoff Scenario

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We beat the Browns, and the Raiders beat the Chargers.

We then get to play the Raiders in Round 1 at home. To me, we are built to beat a team like the Raiders at home in cold. They do get to play KC and DEN on the road, so it isn't like they don't see that stuff ever. But I think the odds are stacked in our favor with a team we already beat up on earlier this year when we were not even playing great, and we get the very big home field advantage from what they are used to playing in.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We beat the Browns, and the Raiders beat the Chargers.

We then get to play the Raiders in Round 1 at home. To me, we are built to beat a team like the Raiders at home in cold. They do get to play KC and DEN on the road, so it isn't like they don't see that stuff ever. But I think the odds are stacked in our favor with a team we already beat up on earlier this year when we were not even playing great, and we get the very big home field advantage from what they are used to playing in.
My only concern with the Raiders is that they give me 2013 San Diego nightmares. That was a flawed team that we beat in their stadium in December. Rivers barely passed the ball that day and we got shredded. Out of all of Marvin's playoff losses, that was the one that was least expected.

This Raiders team is odd.... Clearly not very good some weeks. But they've won on the road in Dallas in a big spot and they appear to be playing pretty good football as they try to clinch playoffs.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curse started with the Raiders...and dies with the Raiders...I like it.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My only concern with the Raiders is that they give me 2013 San Diego nightmares. That was a flawed team that we beat in their stadium in December. Rivers barely passed the ball that day and we got shredded. Out of all of Marvin's playoff losses, that was the one that was least expected.

This Raiders team is odd.... Clearly not very good some weeks. But they've won on the road in Dallas in a big spot and they appear to be playing pretty good football as they try to clinch playoffs.
That Charger playoff game turned on 2 freak plays, the Gio fumble right before halftime, and the Dalton slide/fumble, a play in which they have actually changed the rule so that wouldn't be a fumble today.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Charger playoff game turned on 2 freak plays, the Gio fumble right before halftime, and the Dalton slide/fumble, a play in which they have actually changed the rule so that wouldn't be a fumble today.
That second half was a prime example of that era... Dalton and Green both tightened right up the minute something went wrong in a big game. Dalton was terrible that day and still had a chance to turn things around late, only to have AJ flat-out drop a bomb inside the 10. What a day.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That second half was a prime example of that era... Dalton and Green both tightened right up the minute something went wrong in a big game. Dalton was terrible that day and still had a chance to turn things around late, only to have AJ flat-out drop a bomb inside the 10. What a day.
That was really the only playoff game of the 5 that I was completely confident they would win.
The two seasons when they played Houston were weird, and I remember having no idea how either game would go. And I knew they were dead in the Colts game. And I didn't even watch the Steelers game because we all knew how it would play out.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was really the only playoff game of the 5 that I was completely confident they would win.
The two seasons when they played Houston were weird, and I remember having no idea how either game would go. And I knew they were dead in the Colts game. And I didn't even watch the Steelers game because we all knew how it would play out.
I feel the same way. Of all of the Dalton era playoff games, the San Diego game was the only one I felt was an upset.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I feel the same way. Of all of the Dalton era playoff games, the San Diego game was the only one I felt was an upset.
Agreed.

Some of the games they were lucky to make the playoffs...another one had a backup QB. And, their first was a year too early.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree about the conclusion of this thread. SD was the upset in my mind also. We had a good team that year and had already beat SD. However, the Steelers game was still the most infuriating of all of them. Damn Hill.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
with both qbs sitting this one out, it has the feel of an exhibition game.

if we win, we likely play the colts
if we lose, we likely play NE

either way, we will most likely play at home, so it doesn't matter.

rest up Joe

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many variables that aren't in the Bengals control. I don't blame Zac for resting as many starters as possible. If KC would have blown it yesterday, an argument could be made that the Bengals really needed to go for it this afternoon. They could have slid into the 2 seed which would give them 2 home playoff games (assuming they could actually, you know, win a playoff game). But now that KC has taken care of business, today's outcomes are all a little interdependent for seeding. A few points....

- A Colts loss would change everything. The Steelers could still slide into the playoffs under this scenario. Or, if they lose, both Vegas and LA will be in, no matter what happens tonight. BTW - That would be pretty funny for them squaring off in primetime after learning that they have both already made it in.

- If Vegas wins, I think they are a 5 seed. If they lose they are out. Meanwhile, if LA wins, they'e probably a 7 and get to play at KC - Which I think would be a potential upset.

- Bengals might play Indy. They might play NE. They might play Vegas. I think any of those games will be the lowest priority for the NFL first week schedule, so we'll be slotted in the position that matters the least to the ratings.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Too many variables that aren't in the Bengals control. I don't blame Zac for resting as many starters as possible. If KC would have blown it yesterday, an argument could be made that the Bengals really needed to go for it this afternoon. They could have slid into the 2 seed which would give them 2 home playoff games (assuming they could actually, you know, win a playoff game). But now that KC has taken care of business, today's outcomes are all a little interdependent for seeding. A few points....

- A Colts loss would change everything. The Steelers could still slide into the playoffs under this scenario. Or, if they lose, both Vegas and LA will be in, no matter what happens tonight. BTW - That would be pretty funny for them squaring off in primetime after learning that they have both already made it in.

- If Vegas wins, I think they are a 5 seed. If they lose they are out. Meanwhile, if LA wins, they'e probably a 7 and get to play at KC - Which I think would be a potential upset.

- Bengals might play Indy. They might play NE. They might play Vegas. I think any of those games will be the lowest priority for the NFL first week schedule, so we'll be slotted in the position that matters the least to the ratings.
Prime time night games will be Mahomes, Brady, and the cowboys.

Bengals will be playing at either of the 4:00 slots on Saturday or Sunday, or Sunday at 1. If it ends up beings vs the raiders, then I would think Sunday at 4, to give allow the raiders to play on “their body time”

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Speaking of playoff scheduling I can't believe they're doing MNF playoff games. It has potential for Divisional rounds where the lower seed has an additional 2 days of rest over the higher seed.. just setting up a complete competive disadvantage to teams who had better records during the regular season. Earning a bye is one thing. But this is something else.

Also that late Melvin Gordon fumble let Taylor off the hook. Today's game should have been for the 2 seed.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think a win makes Vegas the likely 6 seed not 5 seed. They have the H2H over the Colts to jump them in seeding but if the Pats win they have the better record and seed.
Also the Pats still have an outside chance to win their division (Jets have to beat the Bills for it to happen) so they're playing to win, at least in the 1st half.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the scenario that we should want.
let the colts knock out the chiefs, and then play the titans,
we get raiders and winner of bills/pats at home
AC955F1D-F1D4-40F8-9BEB-F524AE3F2E4F.jpeg

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It's super early but Colts are in trouble in Jacksonville. Didn't even entertain a scenario where they could potentially lose that game

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's super early but Colts are in trouble in Jacksonville. Didn't even entertain a scenario where they could potentially lose that game
Apparently they have lost their last 5 or 6 games at Jacksonville, which is mind blowing

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Apparently they have lost their last 5 or 6 games at Jacksonville, which is mind blowing

Normally I think it's in the best interest of 2 win teams to lose in week 17 but I Lawrence needs this one. He's the most hyped QB prospect of the last 10 years and he hasn't done anything all season.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think New York is going to have to intervene in Jax or in Baltimore.... A Jags win paired with a Ravens win renders tonight's game meaningless as both teams will be wildcards. Also in play is a Steelers appearance in the playoffs if they win and the Jags pull it out.

This is the weakest Pittsburgh team I remember since the days of Tommy Maddox..... They've had a few teams that missed the playoffs that were head and shoulders better than this version. But, here we are.