• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Ideal Playoff Scenario

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I kinda want the Chargers to score a TD just to see if Staley goes for 2

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. What a game. I went to bed when it was heading to OT. Was thinking how funny it would be for the Steelers to be eliminated by a tie..... And, it almost happened!

The bad news for the Bengals is they are playing a team with 9 lives.... The good news for the Bengals is that they are playing a team that should be physically spent after that game and now has to come to Cincinnati on a short week.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. What a game. I went to bed when it was heading to OT. Was thinking how funny it would be for the Steelers to be eliminated by a tie..... And, it almost happened!

The bad news for the Bengals is they are playing a team with 9 lives.... The good news for the Bengals is that they are playing a team that should be physically spent after that game and now has to come to Cincinnati on a short week.
I wanted Pitt in instead of the Chargers. The Chargers remind a lot of the Chiefs and I don't think we can mentally handle two of those games.

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
The Bengals get a psudeo-bye in week 18 of the regular season, arguably their most favorable potential wildcard matchup, scheduled at the earliest possible time..

It worked out as well as possible

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers screwed themselves...LAS was simply going to let the clock run out knowing a tie = playoffs...then LA out thought themselves and called a Time out....and LAS had no choice but to try and get the 1st down, and by default, get into FG range....

LAS also almost out thought themselves by going for 2 early on in the 4th. I don't know how many coaches continue to screw this up. Just take the PAT until you absolutely have to have 2. Had they kicked the PAT, the Chargers would have had to go for 2 at the end of regulation to tie, instead of just needing the PAT. Coaches fawn over themselves when a chance for 2 arises - but the reality is, you should take the PAT until late in the 4th when another scoring opportunity isn't likely.

I love the Raider matchup. I think they are nowhere near as good as their record, and much like the Steelers, kind of lucked/backed into the playoff. They should be dispatched in round 1 - especially in the Jungle. It's time to end this jinx/curse - and move on in the playoffs!

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Chargers screwed themselves...LAS was simply going to let the clock run out knowing a tie = playoffs...then LA out thought themselves and called a Time out....and LAS had no choice but to try and get the 1st down, and by default, get into FG range....

LAS also almost out thought themselves by going for 2 early on in the 4th. I don't know how many coaches continue to screw this up. Just take the PAT until you absolutely have to have 2. Had they kicked the PAT, the Chargers would have had to go for 2 at the end of regulation to tie, instead of just needing the PAT. Coaches fawn over themselves when a chance for 2 arises - but the reality is, you should take the PAT until late in the 4th when another scoring opportunity isn't likely.

I love the Raider matchup. I think they are nowhere near as good as their record, and much like the Steelers, kind of lucked/backed into the playoff. They should be dispatched in round 1 - especially in the Jungle. It's time to end this jinx/curse - and move on in the playoffs!
I don't think so. I think the Raiders were always going to try for the FG, I just think they were fine with trying it 10 yards further back making it almost impossible to not tie, but at least stood a chance. They just didn't want to leave any time for t he Chargers to try something. So when the timeout was called, they had to run another play, so lets run the ball again. Jacobs just got loose and killed the Chargers chances. It was a dumb call by Staley. I do believe the Raiders were going to try for the 60 yard FG though, to at least try it.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Raiders won their last 4 games. I am not really sure how that is backing into the playoffs. Granted, those 4 teams were not world beaters with the Chargers being the best team they played. But that is not backing into the playoffs. That is going full steam into the playoffs. They worry me a little bit, but I still feel like they were our best matchup in round one of t he playoffs. After round 1, you just have to beat really good teams, or you do not advance.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I did find this that supports your case, as I knew it would, but still when you are talking all the bad that has happened to this organization, all the let downs, embarrassments, etc. I can't get myself to the point you are at right now. Maybe if they actually win a playoff game I can feel more confident. We got beat by the Jets and the Browns embarrassed us.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Playoff teams records against other playoff teams during regular season:

Packers (5-1)
Buccaneers (4-1)
Cardinals (5-2)
Chiefs (6-3)
Bengals (4-2)
Titans (4-3)
49ers (4-4)
Raiders (3-3)
Cowboys (3-4)
Patriots (2-3)
Bills (2-4)
Rams (2-5)
Steelers (2-5)
Eagles (0-6)

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I'm generally not into rash decisions but if I was the Chargers front office I would probably move on to a new coach.

Herbert makes it one of the most attractive jobs in the league. That 4th and 1 call was abysmal

futballiscool

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kind of OT but I'm shocked the Dolphins fired Flores. He overachieved in spite of average QB play the past two seasons

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of OT but I'm shocked the Dolphins fired Flores. He overachieved in spite of average QB play the past two seasons
I wonder. Supposedly Watson really wanted to play for Flores. Could Houston bring Flores in now to try and work with Watson and try to diminish that situation? However, if the Chargers did move on from Staley, could you imagine Flores with that team? He is a defensive guru and with a young franchise QB like Herbert, he could make that program deadly. He would also be good in Las Vegas too.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we should beat the raiders, but I don't know how good the titans are.
we will be playing in their stadium, so they should have the advantage

I know damn well the raiders won't beat the titans, and I seriously doubt anyone is going to beat GB or TB except GB or TB

but who knows? if people can step up and do their job, we can squeak out a win like we did against KC

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
getting beat by the titans isn't a sure thing.

we will be considered underdogs, but it is a toss up.

then after that, it's the winner of kc/ne/buf, also, we are underdogs, but it's not a sure thing we lose

then we gotta keep up with either rodgers/brady and prove it or lose it.

Last edited:

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I rewatched the end of that game. I don't think the Raiders planned to kick the ball.... I don't think they try a 57 yard field goal for fear that it would be blocked or returned. When they picked up 10 yards and had a timeout left, it gave them an opportunity to kick a regular length field goal that would have no real shot at a return. I honestly think they were okay with running it into the line on 3rd and 4 and then letting the clock run out. LA blew it.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raiders won their last 4 games. I am not really sure how that is backing into the playoffs. Granted, those 4 teams were not world beaters with the Chargers being the best team they played. But that is not backing into the playoffs. That is going full steam into the playoffs. They worry me a little bit, but I still feel like they were our best matchup in round one of t he playoffs. After round 1, you just have to beat really good teams, or you do not advance.
If you watched the games - you might have a slightly different take.

They played poorly. Their saving grace was that the teams they faced peaked early in the season and were fading down the stretch: Colts, Rams, Seattle, Chargers....

Look - they won - and that counts. But they were far from impressive in any game, and got a ton of breaks. Heck, even last night, if the Chargers could catch a ball - it's not much of a game. They must have had at least 5-6 drops - at least. Stone cold.

Congrats to the Raiders, but it's not like they stormed into the playoffs.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. I think the Raiders were always going to try for the FG, I just think they were fine with trying it 10 yards further back making it almost impossible to not tie, but at least stood a chance. They just didn't want to leave any time for t he Chargers to try something. So when the timeout was called, they had to run another play, so lets run the ball again. Jacobs just got loose and killed the Chargers chances. It was a dumb call by Staley. I do believe the Raiders were going to try for the 60 yard FG though, to at least try it.
If you listen to Car's quotes last night - you'd likely feel like I did - I can't recall exactly what he said at the time, but the way he talked about being surprised at the timeout called and what they were thinking - I don't think they were going for the FG - I think they were happy to simply not turn the ball over and get the tie, and get into the playoffs. Once the Chargers called timeout - they had to get a 1st down because otherwise they would have to punt and leave about 30 seconds on the clock for them to get into FG range.