• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I think Marshall's got to go

C

cubzzzfanincali

Richig, while I understand the points you are making, I don't think I come to the same conclusion. Some of this stuff - who is fired up versus who is batshit crazy versus who is frustrated - is always a bit hard for an outsider fan to really know how to characterize it. I don't think the behavior of Marshall is akin to, say, Zambrano. Marshall hasn't punched anyone or directly insulted the fanbase. He hasn't left the team midgame. But he hasn't been perfect either. You are right, he played poorly in that game, but so did the whole team. Sure, he is paid to behave better, you are right, no doubt. But he could have behaved worse. To me, it didn't rise to the level of offense that I would draw the extreme conclusion you have.

I think Marshall has played better than, say, Jay Cutler, and a lot of other guys on this team, most of the year. So I guess he isn't in my doghouse yet. Not to say he couldn't be, he seems to always have that potential, as this weirdo shit with the Lion troll makes abundantly clear. I think there is a difference between a risk and a commission of an act that would be risible enough for us to toss him. I just don't think that has happened yet. Let's hope it doesn't.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richig, while I understand the points you are making, I don't think I come to the same conclusion. Some of this stuff - who is fired up versus who is batshit crazy versus who is frustrated - is always a bit hard for an outsider fan to really know how to characterize it. I don't think the behavior of Marshall is akin to, say, Zambrano. Marshall hasn't punched anyone or directly insulted the fanbase. He hasn't left the team midgame. But he hasn't been perfect either. You are right, he played poorly in that game, but so did the whole team. Sure, he is paid to behave better, you are right, no doubt. But he could have behaved worse. To me, it didn't rise to the level of offense that I would draw the extreme conclusion you have.

I think Marshall has played better than, say, Jay Cutler, and a lot of other guys on this team, most of the year. So I guess he isn't in my doghouse yet. Not to say he couldn't be, he seems to always have that potential, as this weirdo shit with the Lion troll makes abundantly clear. I think there is a difference between a risk and a commission of an act that would be risible enough for us to toss him. I just don't think that has happened yet. Let's hope it doesn't.

Perhaps, I'm reading far too much into the Lions fan thing, and this is just par for the course nowadays in the radical social media world we live in.

I was just very troubled by that incident, considering the high horse he's been riding for the past couple of years. That's all. I really haven't liked the comments he's made in interviews recently either. I just don't where the guy gets off with this high and mighty shit. He was arrested 8 times in the span of what? A year and half? Then he gets diagnosed with BPD, and now he's Jesus walking on water to rid the world of their sins. Something about his whole facade has never sat right with me.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whoa.

Never did I say or even INSINUATE that BM is at fault for this season. He is small part of a "systemic" failure, as it was well put in another thread.

However, his actions are a pretty accurate representation of what's wrong with this team from an intangible standpoint. There's no accountability, no leadership, loose cannons like BM fire off on a weekly basis, while our most tenured vet in Briggs sits watching the clock in meetings not paying attention, while another high priced vet failing to meet expectations tears his ACL celebrating a garbage time sack against a backup QB down by 30 points in the 4th quarter. Etc… etc… if you don't see a trend here, you're either blind or you choose not to.

BM is probably the best football player on this team, along with Forte. However, Terrell Owens was once the best football player on every team he played for as well, and I wouldn't want THAT loose cannon in my locker room either.

I can't even fathom that people can't see the bigger picture here, and simply think that this fight challenge thing is just some funny little side show.

IMO, that's just as troubling as him calling out his entire team in the locker room after the Miami game, and then him being the RING LEADER of the "I quit" club vs NE. His performance and effort in that game was DISGUSTING. And I almost question the character of anyone who looks the other way at that. Did you watch the 30 for 30 on him? This is the exact kind of crap he pulled in Denver.

It's his PATTERN OF BEHAVIOR, that really scares me. I truly do feel that if BM does not take a breather, relax, get some help… whatever he has to do... that something tragic will occur. Whether that be with him, or someone around him… or just someone in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I have a hard time believing no one else sees it, but do you ever hear his interviews in full? He sounds certifiably insane. Not like "haha, what a nutty guy" insane… no, like; "This guy is dangerous being allowed to roam free in society" insane.

In his interview on Friday, he started rambling about god knows what… so the Bears literally blasted rap music as loud as possible in the locker room in attempt to stop the interview because they knew something bad was coming. It was the single strangest interview I have ever heard, because half of it was inaudible, and the other half is the ramblings of an insane man contradicting himself with every other sentence he spits out. This man is not mentally stable, and it does not take a freaking doctor to figure it out.

His thing with the Detroit fan is so ridiculous to me on so many levels, and the fact that people calling into radio stations defend him is utterly pathetic. The self-proclaimed "face of mental-illness" is out challenging fans on twitter to fist fights for money. Stupid internet trolls and angry fans make absurd twitter page comments MILLIONS of time per day. But not one other athlete has ever so much as sweat over it… why? Because they're at least SOMEWHAT mentally stable and rational human beings.

He challenges him to a fight for money, cash. Then, this dope… this moron… this walking cancer gets a backlash from his comments, and he has the freaking nerve to go "oh, haha you guys thought I was serious… no… uh… it's for charity". That's game, set and match right there. The guy hiding behind charity and his mental illness awareness crap to save his own behind.

It's not funny, it's not cute and it's not entertaining. This guy is a ticking time bomb, waiting to go off at all times. He did a great job saving his image, and maybe he really even did mellow out for a bit. But it's pretty darn apparent that BM still has a LONG way to go. I for one, don't want to have him here when/if the cannon does shoot off in a BIG way.

Not to mention, forget the potential devastation off of the field. In the locker room, this isn't a guy you want around. It's nothing but negative energy. Emotional instability wears on those around it after a while.

All of this just shows that like so many great WR's before him, that as long as Brandon is catching touchdowns, winning football games and that his situation around him is picture perfect… all is well. But the second the shit hits the fan, he's a god damned mess.

2vwv8le.gif

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the biggest fault Marshall had was not calling Jay out when he was getting killed trying to catch everything in a 5 foot radius to where he is on the field. He took the blame on routes and never got anyone to question if it was just a bad throw. That was more Jays buddy than team player. That changed during the green bay game. You can just see marshall looking dazed like, can you at least get the ball close to me? That just gave Jay a big security blanket and instead of trying to get more accurate, he started depending on guys to always fight for every pass. Now instead of people seeing how much he tried to protect Jay in the past, he is just seen as a problem child again, losing his cool.

If Showtime does something to reprimand him for his tweet with the twit, it might be a straw that breaks that perverbial camels back.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's look at this as a whole:
1. Marshall invites many players to Florida for offseason workouts= Great! I'll call that Leadership.
2. Bears get expectations blown out of proportion... Hype machine get's out of control. (I bought into some of it)
3. BM get's injured in first game- Probably more injured then he or anyone else let on. Lose game. Fans go insane... blame is thrown around town. (fumbled a ball in game too)
4. BM doesn't do anything all day- but catches 3 TD's- Bears win- All is happy again.
THE SHIFT: ESPN releases the BM 30 for 30- Brandon calls his own press conf. in which Bears brass beg him not to... BM calls out ESPN for not being truthful goes on rant about domestic abuse. PC lasts for 45 min.
5. The next 3 games he goes: 1 catch for 6 yards, 2/19, 3/44... 2 losses and only 6 catches- probably the worse stretch of his career. (get's called out for running wrong route in GB game by Trest)
6. Plays well and seems to be back healthy against Falcons...oh and Bears win. Evening their record to 3-3... the sky hasn't fallen yet- still hope for the year.
7. The Slide: Miami, NE, GB... 3 bad games by the whole team... He get's pissed- and screams in LR at the start of slide- media takes notice, quits against NE, re-injures ankle against GB. Team is laughing stock of NFL. Offense isn't productive/D gives up 106 points in two games. Bad all around.
8. Threatens to fight a lions fan on twitter- offers money- doesn't back down with reporters and says he wants to blow it up bigger, put it on Pay-per-view... is told by Emery to "read his contract" and tells his boss that "It's ok, I'm a boxer"- later claims it's for charity, then later claims he wasn't serious...
9. Bears win against bad Minnesota team. He plays well... all is ok for now.

Yes... I think Marshall is a little unstable now. The Losing, his injuries, the dreaded media machine, his mouth, him doing the Showtime show when injured. It's all too much. If the Bears were 6-4 he wouldn't be acting like this, but they aren't and he is. I'm nervous for the future of Brandon Marshall. Hope he can contain himself for the rest of the season. I was in his corner- we still need him going forward. I accepted and bought into the "green shoes" and reformed badboy, and Cutler friendship, and was pleasantly surprised when he got here...but now it looks like the other shoe is dropping.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's look at this as a whole:
1. Marshall invites many players to Florida for offseason workouts= Great! I'll call that Leadership.
2. Bears get expectations blown out of proportion... Hype machine get's out of control. (I bought into some of it)
3. BM get's injured in first game- Probably more injured then he or anyone else let on. Lose game. Fans go insane... blame is thrown around town. (fumbled a ball in game too)
4. BM doesn't do anything all day- but catches 3 TD's- Bears win- All is happy again.
THE SHIFT: ESPN releases the BM 30 for 30- Brandon calls his own press conf. in which Bears brass beg him not to... BM calls out ESPN for not being truthful goes on rant about domestic abuse. PC lasts for 45 min.
5. The next 3 games he goes: 1 catch for 6 yards, 2/19, 3/44... 2 losses and only 6 catches- probably the worse stretch of his career. (get's called out for running wrong route in GB game by Trest)
6. Plays well and seems to be back healthy against Falcons...oh and Bears win. Evening their record to 3-3... the sky hasn't fallen yet- still hope for the year.
7. The Slide: Miami, NE, GB... 3 bad games by the whole team... He get's pissed- and screams in LR at the start of slide- media takes notice, quits against NE, re-injures ankle against GB. Team is laughing stock of NFL. Offense isn't productive/D gives up 106 points in two games. Bad all around.
8. Threatens to fight a lions fan on twitter- offers money- doesn't back down with reporters and says he wants to blow it up bigger, put it on Pay-per-view... is told by Emery to "read his contract" and tells his boss that "It's ok, I'm a boxer"- later claims it's for charity, then later claims he wasn't serious...
9. Bears win against bad Minnesota team. He plays well... all is ok for now.

Yes... I think Marshall is a little unstable now. The Losing, his injuries, the dreaded media machine, his mouth, him doing the Showtime show when injured. It's all too much. If the Bears were 6-4 he wouldn't be acting like this, but they aren't and he is. I'm nervous for the future of Brandon Marshall. Hope he can contain himself for the rest of the season. I was in his corner- we still need him going forward. I accepted and bought into the "green shoes" and reformed badboy, and Cutler friendship, and was pleasantly surprised when he got here...but now it looks like the other shoe is dropping.

Yes, it's the fact that when he actually faced adversity for the first time here, he reacted in the same fashion that he did in Miami and Denver. This is what is scary, and this is what personally makes it mind boggling to me that Bears fans are so quick to dismiss his behavior as him "just being fiery/emotional". Especially when BPD, the disorder he was diagnosed with is directly correlated his emotions being so out of control and destructive.

I admire him for attempting to step up into a leadership role, by taking Jeffery and Wilson out to work with him. However, that's beginning to look more and more like a misnomer than a full representation of BM.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay, now you're just being a dick.

Have a good one. :suds:

I'm not trying to be a dick man. It just seems outlandish to focus so much on Brandon as if you have personally witnessed him in and out of the locker room. You dont know him personally, and the vitriol with which you speak about him indicates that you know him on some personal level.

I dont get the out right hatred for the guy.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not trying to be a dick man. It just seems outlandish to focus so much on Brandon as if you have personally witnessed him in and out of the locker room. You dont know him personally, and the vitriol with which you speak about him indicates that you know him on some personal level.

I dont get the out right hatred for the guy.

I don't like phony people. I don't like people who put on facades in public, and then are totally different people when not in the public eye. I don't like the idea that someone may use a mental illness that many people suffer from to hide behind (If he is in fact doing that). I don't like him challenging a random guy to a prized boxing match for cash… and then when he receives backlash, he hides behind "charity". I don't like morons who were once troubled, and then when they're "recovered", they get on their high horses and tell others how to live their lives like Brandon has done so many times. Which is especially hilarious, seeing as he comes off like a guy who has a single digit IQ.

I don't hate the man, because like you said. I do not know him, and he's never had an impact on my life. I just have zero respect for him, and I think he is in all likelihood, kind of a piece of shit. Not to mention, a loose cannon that is capable of exploding any locker room that he steps foot in. Whether it's temporarily, or for an entire season. He's already done it in two places, and it now looks like he's a big part of the problem here.

With all the social media, excessive coverage, etc… you don't really have to know someone personally to at least get an idea of what kind of a person they are. Sure, I've never sat down and talked to the guy. But I've listened to him sit down with other people in uncut interviews, radio shows, etc… and talk long enough that it's by no means an absurd idea that one could draw some conclusions about him. The guy comes off as not only unstable, but also like I said… dumb. Not a great combination. Hopefully, he finds a way to remain happy as long as he's here. All I can really say.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bringing awareness to mental disorders is not "being on a high horse". He has never stated he's cured and has always stated that it's an ongoing process.

Do I think he's perfect? Far from it. Do I think he's a "phony"? To a degree, aren't we all? Do YOU behave the same at work, as you do at home? I don't. Does that make me a phony, or smart? I think it's the latter.

Yer daily diatribes towards him are bordering on insufferable and are starting to paint YOU as mentally unstable IMO.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You think he's gotta go. That is clear. You've made it abundantly clear that you think he's POS. You know nothing of the guy personally. That has been established.

Speaking of that "high horse" you mentioned.:whistle:

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't like phony people. I don't like people who put on facades in public, and then are totally different people when not in the public eye.

So, you hate everyone in the public eye then.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pete, you hit the nail on the head. Everybody acts differently in different environments... That is a fact. As a behaviorist, I find the argument, "I don't like people who act differently in public" inane.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for BMs volatile personality, what else are we to expect from someone who has been diagnosed with BPD?

C

cubzzzfanincali

I am pretty sure Kim Kardashian always acts like that in every forum she finds herself in.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Nah. Not at all. I don't believe everyone is phony. I believe there is absolutely a certain way people behave when they're in front of the cameras because they're expected too. But there is a line where it goes to another level.

There's a difference between smiling and going through the motions. As opposed to Brandon trying to preach as if he's the second coming of Jesus Christ. While challenging pedestrians to prize fights on the internet.

Sorry, you bought into his bull shit, and it's hard to believe you were dooped so good. Isn't it?

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for BMs volatile personality, what else are we to expect from someone who has been diagnosed with BPD?

I sympathize with his BPD situation if that's truly an everyday struggle for him, and if it wasn't exaggerated to help his image recover and save his career. However, it's more how he portrayed himself as though he was "cured" (yes, I heard him say that), and that now he's going to be the "face of mental illness". While going around the country preaching about how parents should raise their kids, handle their marriages, etc… Meanwhile, come the first speed bump in the road. He pulls the same old BS he did in DEN and MIA.

It's not how he's behaved. It's his "holier than thou" and "high and mighty" act that is rather despicable to me.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I only care if he can play football. He aint my buddy, he aint my mentor. He can ball and is the best WR to ever grace our team. I don't care if he kills puppy's in his spare time.