• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I know I am gonna regret this

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All of this can be called “drafting to the board.” That’s what Jerry was attempting to tell us.

But, of course, it’s never exactly that simple.

On the Cowboys’ board, Florida defensive lineman Sharrif Floyd was No. 5. He was still there at No. 18 when the Cowboys traded out. What the heck?

The info inside Valley Ranch says the two new defensive honchos, Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli, didn’t think Floyd was a scheme fit. They nixed him.

Obviously, the incoming coaches didn’t relay that info to the scouting department, or Floyd would not have been that high on the board. It’s the job of the general manager to coordinate this stuff between the coaches and the scouts.

Read more here: On draft day, Jerry Jones stayed true to the board | Dallas-Fort Worth Sports News - Sports N...

Nosferatu

Faith, Hope & Love
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.66
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
good luck with that

Already stated ... I think he is an NFL bust..
No worried no saying that to erk you ... I said that well before I ever knew who you were.

Nah, i'm not upset, it's your opinion and you may be right but man I pray yer wrong!

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All of this can be called “drafting to the board.” That’s what Jerry was attempting to tell us.

But, of course, it’s never exactly that simple.

On the Cowboys’ board, Florida defensive lineman Sharrif Floyd was No. 5. He was still there at No. 18 when the Cowboys traded out. What the heck?

The info inside Valley Ranch says the two new defensive honchos, Monte Kiffin and Rod Marinelli, didn’t think Floyd was a scheme fit. They nixed him.

Obviously, the incoming coaches didn’t relay that info to the scouting department, or Floyd would not have been that high on the board. It’s the job of the general manager to coordinate this stuff between the coaches and the scouts.

Read more here: On draft day, Jerry Jones stayed true to the board | Dallas-Fort Worth Sports News - Sports N...

I do believe the coaches in the war room nixed Floyd, what we don't know is when. If the nixed him as little as an hour before the draft somebody didn't do their job in removing his name. Fact is as soon as they nixed him he should have been pulled. Looking at the board on blogging the boys there were 5 names still available at 10 Floyd, picked by the Vikes at 23; Xavier Rhodes CB, picked by the Vikes at 23; Cordarelle Patterson WR, picked by the Vikes (yes the Vikes again) at 29; Tyler Eifert TE, picked by Cincy at 21; and Bjoern Werner DE, picked by Indy at 24. I think the Vikes may have forgot to build their own board so they used ours.

Not saying those guys are no good but I don't see them as needs worth a 1st other than Floyd and Werner. As I understand it they had Werner rated around the 27th pick in the draft. Frederick was our 22nd highest rated player.

tw1st3d

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do believe the coaches in the war room nixed Floyd, what we don't know is when. If the nixed him as little as an hour before the draft somebody didn't do their job in removing his name. Fact is as soon as they nixed him he should have been pulled. Looking at the board on blogging the boys there were 5 names still available at 10 Floyd, picked by the Vikes at 23; Xavier Rhodes CB, picked by the Vikes at 23; Cordarelle Patterson WR, picked by the Vikes (yes the Vikes again) at 29; Tyler Eifert TE, picked by Cincy at 21; and Bjoern Werner DE, picked by Indy at 24. I think the Vikes may have forgot to build their own board so they used ours.

Not saying those guys are no good but I don't see them as needs worth a 1st other than Floyd and Werner. As I understand it they had Werner rated around the 27th pick in the draft. Frederick was our 22nd highest rated player.

in short ... was a very weak draft class. prolly weakest I've ever seen.. if not ... on par with the weakest.

Of all the guys you just names... I think Patterson and Werner.... are the only two that wont be considered bust..... and I think both of them have to be coached up ALOT

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in short ... was a very weak draft class. prolly weakest I've ever seen.. if not ... on par with the weakest.

Of all the guys you just names... I think Patterson and Werner.... are the only two that wont be considered bust..... and I think both of them have to be coached up ALOT

:agree:

Nasty_Magician

Team Player
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't mind not taking him and I like Fredricks so far, but I think Fredricks could have still been there with our second pick and we could've gotten somebody else with our first round pick. We'll see how Escobar does, I think he has some potential, but I wasn't crazy about him in the 2nd round.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is true, but can you guarantee Frederick would have been there?

Of course not, but my post was more a cheap shot at what I thought was a horrible 2nd round pick if you read it closely.

If you want me to give you my OPINION, yes, I definitely THINK Frederick would have been there in the 2nd, but we will never know. If you want my opinion on Floyd, it seemed that our scouts had him as one of the top couple of defensive players (I even read ranked first, but who knows for sure), so from a value point of view alone I would have taken him, but I am fine with not taking him also. What I really would have liked was Pugh and then Frederick. My problem from the beginning was that we appeared to play that day like amateurs. You spend months planning for the day and then you appear to throw months of work out in 30 seconds? It's not just reacting to what happens before you, it looked more like panic and confusion from the outside. Most of us wanted an OL in the first. We all wanted a Center at some point. So I am very happy with Frederick, VERY happy. But, that doesn't change the fact that we looked like we started preparing for the draft that morning. The most troublesome quote I read (may have been BS) was the one that went into detail about what we would accept for a trade of pick #18. Jerry and Stephen weren't there for that and everyone else was. Well, no wonder Jerry and Stephen were high fiving after the trade and everyone else looked kind of embarrassed and upset.

In retrospect, my thoughts are the same as they were that day. Kind of liked most of the draft and I'll wait to see how all of the other guys pan out, but why Escobar in the 2nd? Redo that draft anyway you want and slot someone else in the 2nd round and it looks so much better to me. The last few drafts have been so good IMO that I am certainly willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Maybe Leary will be Larry Allen and the others will all be healthy and step up and we didn't need more OL, but I sure would like to have a couple more right now instead of trying to convince guys to come out of retirement to start for us.

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not, but my post was more a cheap shot at what I thought was a horrible 2nd round pick if you read it closely.

If you want me to give you my OPINION, yes, I definitely THINK Frederick would have been there in the 2nd, but we will never know. If you want my opinion on Floyd, it seemed that our scouts had him as one of the top couple of defensive players (I even read ranked first, but who knows for sure), so from a value point of view alone I would have taken him, but I am fine with not taking him also. What I really would have liked was Pugh and then Frederick. My problem from the beginning was that we appeared to play that day like amateurs. You spend months planning for the day and then you appear to throw months of work out in 30 seconds? It's not just reacting to what happens before you, it looked more like panic and confusion from the outside. Most of us wanted an OL in the first. We all wanted a Center at some point. So I am very happy with Frederick, VERY happy. But, that doesn't change the fact that we looked like we started preparing for the draft that morning. The most troublesome quote I read (may have been BS) was the one that went into detail about what we would accept for a trade of pick #18. Jerry and Stephen weren't there for that and everyone else was. Well, no wonder Jerry and Stephen were high fiving after the trade and everyone else looked kind of embarrassed and upset.

In retrospect, my thoughts are the same as they were that day. Kind of liked most of the draft and I'll wait to see how all of the other guys pan out, but why Escobar in the 2nd? Redo that draft anyway you want and slot someone else in the 2nd round and it looks so much better to me. The last few drafts have been so good IMO that I am certainly willing to give the benefit of the doubt. Maybe Leary will be Larry Allen and the others will all be healthy and step up and we didn't need more OL, but I sure would like to have a couple more right now instead of trying to convince guys to come out of retirement to start for us.

I couldn't agree more with you on taking a TE in the 2nd. You may or may not remember but when it was suggested we take Tyler Eifert in the 1st I was adamant we would NOT take a TE or WR before the 4th. I broke ky own rule of not talking guarantees when it comes to sports. Personally I didn't like either pick, but after reading up on Williams I think he has a great shot of winning the #2 Wr spot soon.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't agree more with you on taking a TE in the 2nd. You may or may not remember but when it was suggested we take Tyler Eifert in the 1st I was adamant we would NOT take a TE or WR before the 4th. I broke ky own rule of not talking guarantees when it comes to sports. Personally I didn't like either pick, but after reading up on Williams I think he has a great shot of winning the #2 Wr spot soon.
I was joking (because of Cowboys history) that the Cowboys were gonna draft a LB & a TE 1st day. I knew they could screw it up but was more joking because I didn't think they would be drafting a TE 1st day. After they did, I wanted to kick my own Ass! LOL That will teach me to ever joke about a Jerry draft!!! I wanted Guard, Center, & DT. One out of three atleast.

Earl Stevens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but if we took Floyd in the 1st and Frederick was there in the 2nd for us, there was no way to continue our trend of blowing 2nd rounders on TEs that we never seemed to need in the first place.

Jarntt!!!!

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Earl, what's up?

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jarntt

Welcome aboard

On Floyd 1 year wonders always scare me
Fredrick looks to be a solid pick but I was not real high on him on draft day but we have heeded a center for YEARS and no Gurode was not a center he was a G playing center and Costa PHLEEEEEESSSSEEEEE lets just not go there

I still think we should have taken a guard in the 2nd but if Escobar can put on a little weight and get much stronger he should be the eventual replacement for Witten and if he is even as good as Novacek was while taken high that would be a really good player

JMHO

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Colors
I think setting the bar at Novacek is a little unrealistic, but if the team really believes that to be the case, then I would say it was a good move even if little old me wouldn't have looked at TE for another couple of days...

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard today they moved Free to right guard and inserted Pernal at RT for a look in the Cincy dress rehearsal.

I'm going to try and remain calm and trust in Callahan but this move makes me wonder. I know the Cincy front will get after the QB....OH Boy!

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey Colors
I think setting the bar at Novacek is a little unrealistic, but if the team really believes that to be the case, then I would say it was a good move even if little old me wouldn't have looked at TE for another couple of days...

That was not meant as a slight to Jay but a hopeful look at what Escobar is allegedly capable of. Heard it from Brad Sham saying Cowboys scouts think that his potential ability to catch the ball is on par with Novacek. But he needs to get stronger a lot stronger. That's on Mike Woicek to get him strong.

I just want the kid to be successful

And I hope your rested after your VACATION :rollseyes: Its pretty calm here now after a little bit of a rocky start.

Good to have your opinion back on the boards

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well Escobar is on the team now. Nothing I can do about that. So I would settle for A Doug Cosbie type TE from him. Solid at both Blocking & Catching. Don't think we will see another Witten on this team for a long time. Just don't think he will be that difference maker everyone is hoping for. I am curbing my appetite on this expectation. I just hope for him being reliable in the future.

cowboycolors

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well Escobar is on the team now. Nothing I can do about that. So I would settle for A Doug Cosbie type TE from him. Solid at both Blocking & Catching. Don't think we will see another Witten on this team for a long time. Just don't think he will be that difference maker everyone is hoping for. I am curbing my appetite on this expectation. I just hope for him being reliable in the future.

Doug Cosbie would be a disappointment based on his draft position

But I get your drift on expectations

Schmoopy1000

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doug Cosbie would be a disappointment based on his draft position

But I get your drift on expectations
I'm afraid for me the disappointment based on draft position is going to always be there for me, no matter what. So too late for that to change. (unless he becomes Jimmy Graham kinda productivity)

Manster7588

Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Heard today they moved Free to right guard and inserted Pernal at RT for a look in the Cincy dress rehearsal.

This could make for some must watch TV. Wait never mind. Must match TV for all fans other than Dallas fans.

Since normally game 3 is the dress rehearsal and the starters of this game usually start the season, could it be that Pernal has in fact won the RT job? I can't see them experimenting and risking Tony's season when they know Cincy will be getting after the QB.