• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Hate To Say This, But My Knicks Should Trade Melo

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His GM is the coach who got MJ, Kobe and Shaq to the promised land and he apparently wants to get rid of him.

That should tell you all you need to know.
i woudlnt trust Phil Jacksons opinion as a GM....hes been dog shit....not saying hes right (or wrong) about Melo- just that i have no clue why Dolan thought it would be a good idea to bring in a guy who obviously doesnt have the right skill set for the job. Phil has been awful as a GM. I wouldnt want him any where near my front office and i would not trust him at all to make a trade involving Melo.

Id fire Phil tomorrow and bring in a GM who actually wants the job and wants to work in the modern NBA and have him get as much as he could for Melo before the deadline- if i were a knicks fan id be afraid that Phil would make some kind of short-sighted trade for Melo to try and win now- just like the Noah signing, bringing in Rose etc....

Fisher, the tri-angle....

does anyone actually think Phil Jackson will be around/be the architect of the next Knicks team to win a playoff series? There is just no way freaking way.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
had melo gone to the right team, he would have won 1 or 2 rings already, la la called the shots , now melo ruined any chance!
it all comes back to ownership and the coach. Melo is not a savior by any means- but if he was on a good team he would still be an all star level player. The Knicks are a joke.

Dolan spent a lot of money bringing in Phil- and Phil spent a lot of money on shit like Rose and Noah. The one good thing Phil did was be patient and draft a very young upside guy like Porzingis--- he gets great results- and then decides- fuck waiting--- lets get Joakin Noah on a 4 year contract! when 2 years ago in the playoffs vs. the Cavs Joakin was already broke down and couldnt make a layup.

This is the problem with the "short term fix" that Phil tried--- he just tried to put a bunch of high-priced names together. He didnt GM at all.....Ill guarantee you his analytical approach is laughably terrible. They havent developed anyone on their own outside of Porzingis.

If they tried to build around Melo 3-4 years ago and built it from the ground up we might be watching an entertaining Knicks team with a Melo playing a big role. Now its just painful watching Melo slog through more and more shit- half-assing it himself because he knows he has no chance.

WiggyRuss

Hoopla Cash
$ 14,727.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melo bears responsibility without a doubt- but its awful hard to keep your chin up when the teams big trade acquisition is skipping games becuase he is a child (Rose), or your big free agent acquisition who willl be 32 next month, who makes almost 18 million dollars a year for the next 3 years AFTER this one, is already washed up and far from his prime.

who on the Knicks besides Porzingis and Melo is a guy you would even want on your team? Courtney Lee?

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i woudlnt trust Phil Jacksons opinion as a GM....hes been dog shit....not saying hes right (or wrong) about Melo- just that i have no clue why Dolan thought it would be a good idea to bring in a guy who obviously doesnt have the right skill set for the job. Phil has been awful as a GM. I wouldnt want him any where near my front office and i would not trust him at all to make a trade involving Melo.

Agree. So glad he and Jeanie broke up and I don't have to worry about him coming back to the Lakers. I love what he did as far as the titles, but it's time for him to retire.

Id fire Phil tomorrow and bring in a GM who actually wants the job and wants to work in the modern NBA and have him get as much as he could for Melo before the deadline- if i were a knicks fan id be afraid that Phil would make some kind of short-sighted trade for Melo to try and win now- just like the Noah signing, bringing in Rose etc....

Yep. As I posted earlier, the NBA is not a part time/work from home type of job. Pretty much every time you see a GM interviewed, they look tired. That's because it's an all consuming 24/7 type job. Phil tries to treat it like he answered one of those "This single mom now makes $5,000 a week. See how she did it" ads.

does anyone actually think Phil Jackson will be around/be the architect of the next Knicks team to win a playoff series?

Phil is the only one I can think of that thinks that. Not even sure Dolan thinks that anymore.

larryjohn

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phil is the only one I can think of that thinks that. Not even sure Dolan thinks that anymore.

On the other hand, he is still better than Isiah. He did draft Porzingis. ("a travesty of the highest order") And he hasn't traded picks.

To rival Isiah, he'd have to trade a couple of first round picks for a player like Nerlens Noel -- then sign him to a long-term max deal.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On the other hand, he is still better than Isiah. He did draft Porzingis. ("a travesty of the highest order") And he hasn't traded picks.

To rival Isiah, he'd have to trade a couple of first round picks for a player like Nerlens Noel -- then sign him to a long-term max deal.

:lol: True. Man, how bad did Isaiah have to be to be worse than Phil? Talk about getting two disasters as GM's.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Fisher, the tri-angle....

does anyone actually think Phil Jackson will be around/be the architect of the next Knicks team to win a playoff series? There is just no way freaking way.

I think you nailed it right on the head. Phil's moves as GM have been terrible. I wish people would realize that his claim to fame is coaching superstar divas and getting the most out of them to win a championship. He is not a guy to build a team.

A big worry is that if Phil decided to leave (trust me, with his ego he won't allow himself to be fired), Dolan will bring his BFF Isiah Thomas back in some capacity.

Battlelyon

2021 Super Bowl Champions Rams
Hoopla Cash
$ 118.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“They’re high,” Rose said to NBA.com. “I mean, with these teams right now, they’re saying us and Golden State are the super teams, and they’re trying not to build that many super teams, and Adam Silver came out with the statement and this and that. ….”

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. So glad he and Jeanie broke up and I don't have to worry about him coming back to the Lakers. I love what he did as far as the titles, but it's time for him to retire.

Yep. As I posted earlier, the NBA is not a part time/work from home type of job. Pretty much every time you see a GM interviewed, they look tired. That's because it's an all consuming 24/7 type job. Phil tries to treat it like he answered one of those "This single mom now makes $5,000 a week. See how she did it" ads.

I was thinking about why Phil Jackson has been such a horrible gm and my personal thought is that as people get older, they slow down and do not adapt to changes as well. It seems to me that Phil Jackson is stuck in the era when the triangle offense worked. The problem, however is that the players have dumbed down since then and they run simple plays and a diet for pick and roll mixed with mid range jumpers and three point shots. Phil never adjusted.

There is one more thing that Stephen A Smith who now gets his radio show broadcast here in Los Angeles at 10 am each day, suggested. As a general manager, neither Phil Jackson, Jeannie Buss nor Jim Buss have earned the respect as executives that can build championships. Players trusted Jerry Buss, but they know Jeannie or Jim Buss and at least some of the elite players were willing to meet with Jim and Jeannie in some cases. Most of them wouldn't even return Phil's calls.

One difference for the Lakers though. If the Lakers get their 30 wins this year, they are going to be an attractive team and Jeannie with her Brother will start to get some attention. Those first round draft picks the Lakers have been collecting are going to get better, but the Knicks aren't any better than they were two years ago. On a personal note, when Phil said in his book that he wanted the Lakers to trade Kobe Bryant for Jason Kidd after the first championship - that was the year I came to the conclusion that Phil would never be a good gm. Jason Kidd was a good player in his own rights, but Kobe was a rising star that Phil did not have the vision to see and would have dumped him.

I am so glad that he is the Knicks problem and not the Lakers

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“They’re high,” Rose said to NBA.com. “I mean, with these teams right now, they’re saying us and Golden State are the super teams, and they’re trying not to build that many super teams, and Adam Silver came out with the statement and this and that. ….”

LOL. Who was calling the Knicks a super team? Maybe in a senior league they would be.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
knicks really should. What would be a good fit?
OKC? Westbrook and melo together
Houston? Him and Harden
Cavs? Love for Melo trade
Boston?

I have no clue what would be a good fit for him. Maybe the Utah Jazz. Melo wouldn't accept that trade.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol: True. Man, how bad did Isaiah have to be to be worse than Phil? Talk about getting two disasters as GM's.
Still - in spite of the fact that Phil would have traded Kobe Bryant for Jason Kidd and missed out on the greatest entertainer in the NBA in the last twenty years, one would have thought that Jackson had a better basketball mind than that. Other players have made the transition, so it is natural to think he could as well, but the Knicks have truly been screwed again

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still - in spite of the fact that Phil would have traded Kobe Bryant for Jason Kidd and missed out on the greatest entertainer in the NBA in the last twenty years, one would have thought that Jackson had a better basketball mind than that. Other players have made the transition, so it is natural to think he could as well, but the Knicks have truly been screwed again

His basketball mind is not the problem, although that is not what made him a great coach. What made him great was his ability to manage difficult players and get them to work within the confines of a team offense.

His problem as a GM is that he has made it a 40 hour a week job when his peers all work 3 times as much and his insistence in running an outdated scheme.

True Lakers Fan

Los Angeles Lakers Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,454.21
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
His basketball mind is not the problem, although that is not what made him a great coach. What made him great was his ability to manage difficult players and get them to work within the confines of a team offense.

His problem as a GM is that he has made it a 40 hour a week job when his peers all work 3 times as much and his insistence in running an outdated scheme.
Personally I thought that in the last few years, he lost several steps as a head coach and was out coached. The triangle was good offense at one time, but it is long overdue to be shelved. The Knicks can't even make the playoffs in a weak conference with a head coach being paid 12 million a year. You and I could do better

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Personally I thought that in the last few years, he lost several steps as a head coach and was out coached. The triangle was good offense at one time, but it is long overdue to be shelved. The Knicks can't even make the playoffs in a weak conference with a head coach being paid 12 million a year. You and I could do better

Wow. Would not be my first choice of coaching gigs, but I would settle for $4 million a year. I think it would require at least that much to put up with all crap you would be subjected to.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Come on, what made him a great coach was having great talent. Maybe the Zen Master played a part to start, but his media games were well past due. Coach a team with the best player in the league and another in the top 5 was a solid system.

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Phil needs another year or two before we judge things. Look around the league and there are few GMs who can and know how to rebuild.....unless the stars want to come to their teams (Miami, Cleveland and maybe now GS) the teams remain in purgatory. The knicks were so poorly run they traded away good assets for bad ones. Now Phil needs to accumulate assets and make better decisions. So far he is a C at best.

Melo is not a multi tooled player and he never played in a team that prioritized defense. he developed as offense solves everything. I wonder how melo would have done if he had a strong defensive culture like the spurs.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Phil hasn't been very good but he is not at the Isaiah level of atrocity. That is an elite level of terrible. Very few people reach that level of horrible.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think Phil needs another year or two before we judge things. Look around the league and there are few GMs who can and know how to rebuild.....unless the stars want to come to their teams (Miami, Cleveland and maybe now GS) the teams remain in purgatory. The knicks were so poorly run they traded away good assets for bad ones. Now Phil needs to accumulate assets and make better decisions. So far he is a C at best.

Melo is not a multi tooled player and he never played in a team that prioritized defense. he developed as offense solves everything. I wonder how melo would have done if he had a strong defensive culture like the spurs.

He drafted Porzingis, which was definitely a good call. But then he paid Melo way too much and then doubled down on that by overpaying what's left of the guys who used to be Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah.

Plus, he's still trying to cram the triangle down the throats of a coach and players who clearly don't want to run it and don't know how to if they did want to run it.

Principles of the triangle are fine. But it's too outdated to be your entire offensive system and he's the only one who doesn't see it.