• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I had no idea the WS was going on

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's the thing, you can take a random athlete from Africa (or other country) and make him into a pro football player, soccer player, basketball player (tons of examples in each sport).

You can't do that with Baseball. It's a unique skill that doesn't require athleticism, but does require coordination and hand-eye coordination.

So do the other sports, and they actually require athleticism.

I'd love to see Prince Fielder on a soccer field. :laugh3:

Arete Tzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goddammit. I really don't want to get sucked into this useless debate, but if the argument is that because of the running, soccer is harder, that's a pretty easy thing to argue against.

ANY HEALTHY PERSON can train to run far. It's simply an energy system.

Hand-eye coordination cannot be trained nearly to the extent of "run a long time."

How about the foot to eye coordination that some of the soccer players display?

Have you ever seen the crazy shit players like Ibrahimovic pull off? You should consider that we spend way less time consciously working with out feet as well, for the most part the feet are on auto pilot. I think getting your feet to act as you want them to, while flipping though the air, and actually scoring or successfully pass with it is pretty damn impressive.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saying, I've played both soccer & baseball (both only at the middle school level) and soccer is much more difficult to play.

My soccer team didn't have enough players to sub people in/out, and Jesus Christ is it hard to run for 90 minutes straight.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is hilarious.

People have been trying to kill baseball since the 1919 Black Sox scandal and it's still here. It's not going anywhere, over 70 million people went to the ballpark this year, there is a demand there. Obviously it's not going to beat the NFL in ratings but it's not really a fair fight is it?

Shorten the baseball season to 16 games, play once a week and have single game elimination playoff games and then...maybe.

Until then just worry about your sport and the fact that every year fewer and fewer parents are letting their kids play football out of fear that they may end up brain dead, in prison, or sticking both barrels of a shotgun in their mouth someday due to the concussion problem. Sooner or later that's going to catch up with the NFL.

What goes around comes around.

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget the Nike commercial with David Beckham and Reggie Bush where Bush ran an out route and Beckham hit him perfectly with a soccer ball. Soccer players are poetic with their placement of the futbol. Soccer isn't just about running.

sallynemo

whole lotta shaking
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't forget the Nike commercial with David Beckham and Reggie Bush where Bush ran an out route and Beckham hit him perfectly with a soccer ball. Soccer players are poetic with their placement of the futbol. Soccer isn't just about running.

Wonder how many "takes" they had to shoot to get that shot?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This thread is hilarious.

People have been trying to kill baseball since the 1919 Black Sox scandal and it's still here. It's not going anywhere, over 70 million people went to the ballpark this year, there is a demand there. Obviously it's not going to beat the NFL in ratings but it's not really a fair fight is it?

Shorten the baseball season to 16 games, play once a week and have single game elimination playoff games and then...maybe.

Until then just worry about your sport and the fact that every year fewer and fewer parents are letting their kids play football out of fear that they may end up brain dead, in prison, or sticking both barrels of a shotgun in their mouth someday due to the concussion problem. Sooner or later that's going to catch up with the NFL.

What goes around comes around.

Baseball is trending down, while football is trending up. What was once America's past time is no longer that. Sorry bub.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder how many "takes" they had to shoot to get that shot?

A lot less than you think. These passes are routine in every soccer match, under much tougher circumstances, too.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know what I fucking meant you doofus. Physical coordination in general. To be a good soccer player you need have straight-light speed, great agility, great stop-go and quick-twitch ability, you need to be able to dribble a ball with great footspeed through multiple defenders. Crossing the ball 50 yards to your teammate through traffic and have it land on his chest/feet is extremely difficult. Having the leg strength and talent to shoot the ball that hard, fast, and accurate to connect on deep passes, through passes, and score goals. You need the reflexes and quick-twitch to stop on a dime and react to every pass/shot. Even the movement and spin these guys put on the ball and how they control its angles its nothing short of amazing.

No, I never know with you you dildo. You are one whacked out dude when you get your feathers up. There is no hand-eye coordination in any sport like that of a hitter hitting a ball moving at over 90 mph. Nothing close to it in soccer.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Such a ridiculous, biased analogy. Hitting a soccer ball with your forehead that just traveled 60 yards at high speeds is not easy. But that's not even what I'm talking about, really. That's a TINY part of what soccers players are asked to do. And I've seen NUMEROUS people who've never even touched a Baseball go into a batting cage and hit multiple balls. GTFO.

Bull fucking shit! I couldn't even get the bat off my shoulder with the machine set to 80mph. I'm bettin' you couldn't either.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is absurd!

Not absurd at all. Professional soccer player would run circles around Trout and he wouldn't even know what the hell was going on. I'd be surprised even if he can trap a single long ball off of a mid-fielder.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Soccer is literally 45 minutes+ of non-stop running. It is much more physically exhausting and for those players to be able to do what they do with their bodies and legs is nothing short of amazing in that time-span.

That's true. Soccer takes amazing stamina to play soccer. But put them on a baseball diamond / batter's box and they're useless.

Randy Moss & TO would've sucked in the NBA, and heavy weight boxers would get their asses handed to them by average fighters in an MMA competition. Every sport has its own set of skills. There's a reason the best baseball players have used steroids; people aren't just born with MLB level strength & burst.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not absurd at all. Professional soccer player would run circles around Trout and he wouldn't even know what the hell was going on. I'd be surprised even if he can trap a single long ball off of a mid-fielder.

Trout would look like a fool, no doubt, playing against professional players but nothing compared to what Messi would look like facing Verlander or Kershaw. He'd probably run away and hide or flop at the first piece of chin music that came his way. But to say that Trout wouldn't even touch the ball is crazy.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true. Soccer takes amazing stamina to play soccer. But put them on a baseball diamond / batter's box and they're useless.

Randy Moss & TO would've sucked in the NBA, and heavy weight boxers would get their asses handed to them by average fighters in an MMA competition. Every sport has its own set of skills. There's a reason the best baseball players have used steroids; people aren't just born with MLB level strength & burst.

That's not the argument. Yes, they'd be useless in the diamond. Baseball players would be useless on the pitch. The original argument is that soccer requires more raw and physical talent than Baseball.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Long story short, different games require different skill sets.

How much your individual physical traits affect your sports preferences
could be an interesting subject for investigation.