• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I had no idea the WS was going on

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Baseball takes no stamina, but it takes a ton of short-area burst (bat speed, fielding) and strength (pitching). It's a totally different set of skills than soccer. It's impossible to compare IMO.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball takes no stamina, but it takes a ton of short-area burst (bat speed, fielding) and strength (pitching). It's a totally different set of skills than soccer. It's impossible to compare IMO.

Soccer is literally 45 minutes+ of non-stop running. It is much more physically exhausting and for those players to be able to do what they do with their bodies and legs is nothing short of amazing in that time-span.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How physical or not a sport is does not make it better or worst, and a sport does not even have to be physical. A sport is just a competitive event that people enjoy to watch. Some are a lot more physical than others, but that doesn't make them any more or any less a sport. It just makes them more or less exciting to their audience.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IF this discussion was to continue we'd have to first define raw physical talent.......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 81

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flopping in soccer has gotten out of hand, but it's more strategic than being wimpy. There many strong collisions in soccer, especially on set-pieces and CKs, and they don't wear protection aside from the ones on their ankles.

Oh, and soccer takes much more raw physical talent than Baseball.

I'm not talking about European soccer, I'm talking about U.S. kids and their "There are no losers today" brand of soccer. As for soccer taking more raw talent than Bsaeball; I disagree. The hardest thing to do in professional sports is to hit a baseball delivered at over 90 mph from 60 feet away. As Yogi Berra said "Hitting a round ball with a round bat squarely is what makes the game so hard."

Last edited by a moderator:

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not talking about European soccer, I'm talking about U.S. kids and their "There are no losers today" brand of soccer. As for soccer taking more raw talent than Bsaeball; I disagree. The hardest thing to do in professional sports is to hit a baseball delivered at over 90 mph from 60 feet away. As Yogi Berra said "Hitting a round ball with a round bat squarely is what makes the game so hard."

Look at this guy. Quoting a damn cartoon bear to try and make a point about sports.

:loco2:

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm just going to say that's the most laughable bullshit I've ever seen and leave it at that. I really don't feel like expanding.

Just know that's bullshit.

Kind of ridiculous. Baseball is largely a skill sport, physical ability is much lower priority there than it is in soccer or basketball or football or most other sports.

Soccer is hugely dependent on physical ability. Even the guys who play the game like chess need to be able to run 7 miles a match.

Brahmsian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Look at this guy. Quoting a damn cartoon bear to try and make a point about sports.

:loco2:
The cartoon character was named after Yogi Berra but the post mentioned only the former Yankee catcher. NOT the cartoon character.

Pay attention to details, okay?

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
The cartoon character was named after Yogi Berra but the post mentioned only the former Yankee catcher. NOT the cartoon character.

Believe is was a joke. At least I hope so

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Kind of ridiculous. Baseball is largely a skill sport, physical ability is much lower priority there than it is in soccer or basketball or football or most other sports.

Soccer is hugely dependent on physical ability. Even the guys who play the game like chess need to be able to run 7 miles a match.

You recognize hand-eye coordination is a physical ability, yes?

The fundamental skills of soccer are to run around and kick a ball.

The fundamental skills of baseball are to throw, catch and hit a ball.

Grab a random selection of 7 year olds and see which game they have an easier time with. The one that involves running and hitting the ball with their foot, or the one that involves hitting a smaller ball with another object, than catching it.

I don't expect a random selection of 7 year olds to be good at soccer, but I bet they do a better job of kicking a ball around than they do of hitting and catching a ball moving through the air.

And that's all from me on this. In previous experience discussing this with soccer players/fans I find they get quite upset when they're told that kicking a ball sitting on the ground is easier than hitting one thrown towards you.

But based on the "soccer is harder because of the running" argument, that makes marathons the most physically challenging sport in the world

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Goddammit. I really don't want to get sucked into this useless debate, but if the argument is that because of the running, soccer is harder, that's a pretty easy thing to argue against.

ANY HEALTHY PERSON can train to run far. It's simply an energy system.

Hand-eye coordination cannot be trained nearly to the extent of "run a long time."

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shit, Sherlock. Yogi Bear is such a dated reference, you really think someone would know who he was but not who Yogi Berra was? On a sports website?

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You recognize hand-eye coordination is a physical ability, yes?

The fundamental skills of soccer are to run around and kick a ball.

The fundamental skills of baseball are to throw, catch and hit a ball.

Grab a random selection of 7 year olds and see which game they have an easier time with. The one that involves running and hitting the ball with their foot, or the one that involves hitting a smaller ball with another object, than catching it.

I don't expect a random selection of 7 year olds to be good at soccer, but I bet they do a better job of kicking a ball around than they do of hitting and catching a ball moving through the air.

And that's all from me on this. In previous experience discussing this with soccer players/fans I find they get quite upset when they're told that kicking a ball sitting on the ground is easier than hitting one thrown towards you.

But based on the "soccer is harder because of the running" argument, that makes marathons the most physically challenging sport in the world

Soccer players' ability to dribble, trap, pass, and shoot the ball the way they do takes an enormous amount of hand-eye coordination, and have to do it under severe stamina pressure, too. Baseball players spend the majority of their time, you know, chewing gum and spitting out seeds.

Physically speaking, Soccer is much more physically imposing.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

There's nothing to get upset about. But I guarantee I've watched a lot more soccer than you, and its not a matter of kicking a ball sitting on the ground. Hitting a baseball is a skill, like hitting a pool shot or squaring up a golf ball. Fielding is more athletically-based, but even then you're talking about short sprints and catching a ball. Baseball is maybe comparable to goalkeeping in soccer - reaction, instinct, hand-eye, all that stuff. Even if you look at simply how they kick the ball, the extreme skill necessary to kick a ball well enough - with enough speed and movement - to get it past a goalkeeper, that's comparable to hitting. Pure skill and technique.

If you discount the aspects of soccer involving battling for the ball, outrunning guys, getting up for headers, defense in general, all that stuff.....well then that's where you're at.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Goddammit. I really don't want to get sucked into this useless debate, but if the argument is that because of the running, soccer is harder, that's a pretty easy thing to argue against.

ANY HEALTHY PERSON can train to run far. It's simply an energy system.

Hand-eye coordination cannot be trained nearly to the extent of "run a long time."

Literally EVERYTHING you do in Soccer takes a huge amount of hand-eye coordination. Stop acting like it's just kicking the ball around.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Soccer players' ability to dribble, trap, pass, and shoot the ball the way they do takes an enormous amount of hand-eye coordination, and have to do it under severe stamina pressure, too. Baseball players spend the majority of their time, you know, chewing gum and spitting out seeds.

Baseball takes quicker reflexes and better hand eye coordination. Soccer takes better stamina and agility. Physically Soccer is more demanding due to the amount of stamina it takes along with the contact. It's still wrong to judge a sport based on how physical it is compared to another sport.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baseball takes quicker reflexes and better hand eye coordination. Soccer takes better stamina and agility. Physically Soccer is more demanding due to the amount of stamina it takes along with the contact. It's still wrong to judge a sport based on how physical it is compared to another sport.

In what way? You need EXTREMELY quick reflexes to defend a good dribbler of the ball. And really, everything in soccer - from defending, to fielding/trapping, or shooting, to dribbling, to goalkeeping - takes a huge amount of hand-eye coordination. Add this to the fact that they are asked to run/spring for TWO 45 minute intervals, and it's not a contest, IMO.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Clyde. You're wrong. Straight up wrong.

There are lots of people that can get hit in the forehead with a balloon. There are not lots of people who can hit a 99mph fastball from 60 feet away.

Soccer players spend most of their time standing around on the pitch watching one of the other thousand guys kick the ball. Every once in awhile they have to run.

I need to stop reading this thread. Soccer fans are nuts.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In what way? You need EXTREMELY quick reflexes to defend a good dribbler of the ball. And really, everything in soccer - from defending, to fielding/trapping, or shooting, to dribbling, to goalkeeping - takes a huge amount of hand-eye coordination. Add this to the fact that they are asked to run/spring for TWO 45 minute intervals, and it's not a contest, IMO.

The only player in a soccer that requires quick reflexes is the Goalie, but I'm giving the edge to the infielder that has to stop a line drive or the batter trying to hit a 90+ mph fastball. Those type of plays are entirely based on reflexes and hand eye coordination. Soccer is much more about physical stamina and mental concentration. Soccer also takes a lot more agility as it requires a lot of direction changes where as baseball is pretty much played in 1 direction..... unintended joke.