• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I expect the Mariners will look into Verlander

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although most of the board believes the Mariners should sell, that is not going to happen. The Mariners are buyers, for better or worse.

That being said, I think Verlander should be an option, and it makes sense.

There have been reports the Mariners are willing to pick up salary.

Which means:

1. The Mariners need a #3 or so pitcher
2. The Mariners are willing to take on salary
3. The Mariners do not have prospects to spare

Trading for Verlander would be a salary dump for the Tigers. Yes, his contract makes me shiver. I think I actually experienced nausea seeing that he would be paid $28m in 2018 and 2019. But, if the Mariners want a decent pitcher without sacrificing prospects, Verlander makes sense, and is someone worth considering.

Would I make the trade? Fuck no. But... I could understand the logic behind making a move for him. He would be a good addition to the rotation and would take a pack of gum to get.

The point is, I don't believe there is a better pitcher that we could acquire while giving up nothing but money.

If the Mariners are in "win now" mode, that means they believe they can win this season and next. JD seems the type that wants to add now, but not sacrifice in the long-term. Verlander would cost nothing to get, and his contract will be off the books in a few years.

To a certain extent, it would make sense. He would be a quality SP that would cost us nothing to land. Although Verlander is a local legend, if a team is willing to take on his contract, any GM would be stupid to refuse that offer.

Money shouldn't mean much considering that I doubt the Mariners will be in the market for any big name FAs and they don't have any young players that need a contract extension soon. They have money to spend, but not prospect to spend. Which means Verlander makes sense.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They do like their past-their-prime pitchers.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the M's make a move to buy I'd rather see something like this than see them give up someone like Lewis, Heredia or Gamel.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If the M's make a move to buy I'd rather see something like this than see them give up someone like Lewis, Heredia or Gamel.

I agree. That's why I think it makes sense.

The Mariners are lacking in long-term assets, but apparently have money to spend.