• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I Can't Handle The Officiating Any More

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two spots were atrocious and screwed Houston big time in that game. But I rarely ever watch an NFL game that I care about in public because 80% of fans have such a poor understanding of the rules that there's just too much invalid bitching and complaining due to their ignorance. Rules knowledge is better on message boards where you have fewer "casual" fans, but people in here still pound on refs while not fully understanding the rules.

Technology should be used more to improve officiating -- I agree with that. Someone upthread mentioned a chip in the ball to determine its exact location, and I've been saying that for years. That would completely remove one variable that makes it hard to get stuff right.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I would put in a rule that only former players and coaches can be referees. No more of the retired Corp executive shitheads. Half of them don even know the fuckin rules.

Also, the NFL has more than adequate resources to put the finest camera systems in every stadium to get whatever they want. They could set up their own frieken satellite system.

Hank Kingsley

Undefeated
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I would put in a rule that only former players and coaches can be referees. No more of the retired Corp executive shitheads. Half of them don even know the fuckin rules.

Also, the NFL has more than adequate resources to put the finest camera systems in every stadium to get whatever they want. They could set up their own frieken satellite system.

I think an age restriction would be good too. Walt Anderson is well past his best before date.

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not the officials that are the biggest problem. It's the rulebook/rulemakers. They have gone too far the way of taking common sense and judgement out of the rulebook. The best example is the catch rules. I've been watching football my entire life. I even went to college to play football. Now I really have no idea what's a catch anymore. Things I'm sure are a catch they call incomplete. Things I'm sure are incomplete they call catches. Obviously not every time, but often enough that I don't know for sure on any play. And then they replay it, and I'm 75% sure that the refs in charge of reviewing the play are just watching a coin flip or maybe ****. No way they watch the replay. If you have unlimited time to watch slow motion replays frame by frame, can watch them over and over, and can do so from multiple angles there is absolutely zero excuse to get it wrong even once. Much less multiple times per week.

Instead of eliminating common sense and judgement, they should be looking for refs with good common sense and judgement. Make the call that makes sense. Not the call that ticks all the boxes.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Seems a lot more players have no clue about the rules than fans and they are already paid to know them...

Edonidd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,360.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Problem with that is that humans have all different ideas of what 'sense' is.

Which is exactly why not everyone gets to do the job. You weed through the applications, find the right ones for the job. Then you train them to do it right.

chf

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is exactly why not everyone gets to do the job. You weed through the applications, find the right ones for the job. Then you train them to do it right.

No training needed though, you just hire guys that have 'sense', whatever that is that none of us can agree on...

See the problem?

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seems a lot more players have no clue about the rules than fans and they are already paid to know them...

I agree many players are clueless (cough, cough, Dez Bryant, cough cough).

There are 1500 rostered players every year and only 150 refs. Only need the smartest 10%.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bump for an even worse officiated game with Lions vs Vikings. Texans \ Raiders looked like an evenly called game compared to this one.

Apparently, the Refs must be instructed to keep National games close. The NFL must think people like close finishes with lopsided officiating more than a correctly called game that is not that close.

WRONG!!! I will not watch any more NFL games on National TV. I will only watch the Lions online streaming. Suck it Goodell.