• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

I actually miss The Spectrum...

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not a Flyers fan but my brother and I were talking about the Spectrum and I must say I liked watching games on tv when played there. It is stupid but I really liked the orange in between the glass. Just had a different feel to that place.
Never got to actually go there. Do you Flyers fans miss it or was it a dump? I ask because I am wondering if I will miss the Igloo? Thats place sucks tho!

ps...I need one of these! http://www.break.com/index/the-better-marriage-blanket.html

Last edited by a moderator:

anderwho2513

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to a Phantoms game there last year, just as a spur of the moment thing. One last trip to the Spectrum. I didn't know much about it since I was too young to remember my first few trips, but we got seats in the first row of the second deck, and I could almost lean over the railing and touch the glass. I can see why other teams hated playing there. Today, of the 20000 people there, only the lower level is any close to ice level. But at the Spectrum, there were literally 16000 seats within arms reach of the ice. Best arena I've ever been to.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I went to a Phantoms game there last year, just as a spur of the moment thing. One last trip to the Spectrum. I didn't know much about it since I was too young to remember my first few trips, but we got seats in the first row of the second deck, and I could almost lean over the railing and touch the glass. I can see why other teams hated playing there. Today, of the 20000 people there, only the lower level is any close to ice level. But at the Spectrum, there were literally 16000 seats within arms reach of the ice. Best arena I've ever been to.

Thats awesome. Wish I could have visited there at least once. I hate it when places like this are demolished. Just seems wrong.

Jimmy_the_Tongue

Walks Hard
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know who doesn't miss the Spectrum?....the Penguins....it was a house of horrors for them...

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know who doesn't miss the Spectrum?....the Penguins....it was a house of horrors for them...

Oh I know that for sure! Being a Pens fan, thats the one thing I dont miss about that place. I do have a lot of good memories of Lemieux doing well there once in a while. Always like the atmosphere though but not really while they played the Pens!

islander4cups

Franchise dman
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I am not a Flyers fan but my brother and I were talking about the Spectrum and I must say I liked watching games on tv when played there. It is stupid but I really liked the orange in between the glass. Just had a different feel to that place.
Never got to actually go there. Do you Flyers fans miss it or was it a dump? I ask because I am wondering if I will miss the Igloo? Thats place sucks tho!

ps...I need one of these! Watch The Better Marriage Blanket Video | Break.com

If you want to go see what the Spec was like, go to Nassau Coliseum on Long Island. It is a dump now, but the seats are all very close and great sightlines.

I'll be glad when the isles finally get something done with the local pols and get a new or refurbished arena. It is a dump. So was the Spec but both were good for their time.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw many a game there growing up. That place was unreal. No better place on earth to watch a game and I've been to the old Boston Gardens, Chicago Stadium, etc. That place was just crazy.

I can't imagine what it was like for the opposing teams to come into. They had to feel like they were coming to play in an insane asylum. And like Anderwho said, the crowd was RIGHT ON TOP of the ice. I was very sad to see it go.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I had some of the best times of my younger life in that rat hole. The first time I got high, jerked off and thrown out was all in the same night at a Black Sabbath/BOC concert. I've had countless fights and drunk nights there. I've seen some of the most physically brutal hockey games ever played there and I've seen some of the greatest names in music history play there.

Having said all that....I hated that building. No matter where you went, it smelled like piss everywhere! The toilets and urinals were always overflowing and 1 out of every 6 sinks worked. The security were all ex-cons who spent more time selling weed than patrolling the area for idiots and vandals.

Love the memories...hate the structure.

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fwiw, i was actually at the last ever event there...the PJ concert on Halloween night. drove up from Dc for it

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fwiw, i was actually at the last ever event there...the PJ concert on Halloween night. drove up from Dc for it

Good deal 2166.

Vise-versa...I once drove down from Philly to B-more to see Judas Priest. Because of some tech issues the show was suspended for about an hour. Dudes got all worked up and started ripping the seats out! (I had a blast! lol)

wings-pens2166

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good deal 2166.

Vise-versa...I once drove down from Philly to B-more to see Judas Priest. Because of some tech issues the show was suspended for about an hour. Dudes got all worked up and started ripping the seats out! (I had a blast! lol)

those always make for the best shows, eh Tox :)

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had some of the best times of my younger life in that rat hole. The first time I got high, jerked off and thrown out was all in the same night at a Black Sabbath/BOC concert. I've had countless fights and drunk nights there. I've seen some of the most physically brutal hockey games ever played there and I've seen some of the greatest names in music history play there.

Having said all that....I hated that building. No matter where you went, it smelled like piss everywhere! The toilets and urinals were always overflowing and 1 out of every 6 sinks worked. The security were all ex-cons who spent more time selling weed than patrolling the area for idiots and vandals.

haha Thanks for that! Got a great feel as to what the place was like and one helluva good laugh.

TOX1

Game fucking on!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back atcha Gooch. Thanks for inadvertently reminding me of some excellent times!

Larry N

Flyers fan for life
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yeah, it was a dump, but it was great dump in which to watch a hockey game. I went to countless games at the Spectrum. I've been to four games at the Wach, and the difference in the crowd has been stratling. I mean, the crowd still gets into the game at a certain level. But at the Spectrum, you would have a lady on your left questioning Wally Harris' lineage and on your right would be a guy yelling to Jay Wells that he slept with his sister. And this was in the lower level!

Good times.....

loki604

Don't Blame the Refs
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

That was hilarious.

scottflyers88

Lets Go Flyers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
went to plenty of flyers and phantoms games there. i was very young although i remember my first game. and from what i heard from guys like bill clement he said even in the upper decks you felt like you were right on the ice. and i think it was engblom who said there was a tunnel underneath where the visiting teams bus would go and he said the bus driver would turn off the bus and the bus would still be shaking from the crowd noise.