• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hurts getting paid

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And like some he did not worry about guaranteed money and got paid quickly.

Crazy how that worked out.

Good for Jalen.
Yep.

Just on the "face" of the deal, 255 with nearly 180 guaranteed works out to about 70%. Figuring that the team will pay the majority of those guarantees in the early years of the contract, you are still leaving room for the back end of the deal to be re-negotiated or more flexibility to move on if things don't work out long-term. Meanwhile, the player is still getting a TON of money up front.

To add on with what you said - it's amazing what happens when you worry less about guaranteed, and focus on just getting as much up front as you can - and have an agent that is working for you who knows what they are actually doing.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep.

Just on the "face" of the deal, 255 with nearly 180 guaranteed works out to about 70%. Figuring that the team will pay the majority of those guarantees in the early years of the contract, you are still leaving room for the back end of the deal to be re-negotiated or more flexibility to move on if things don't work out long-term. Meanwhile, the player is still getting a TON of money up front.

To add on with what you said - it's amazing what happens when you worry less about guaranteed, and focus on just getting as much up front as you can - and have an agent that is working for you who knows what they are actually doing.
Or when the franchise the player plays for is 100% on board with the player and believes in them. You can’t hedge on the QB. Either he’s the guy of the future and you commit to him or you move on and look for the guy who is. Teams that hedge are the ones that get in trouble.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Or when the franchise the player plays for is 100% on board with the player and believes in them. You can’t hedge on the QB. Either he’s the guy of the future and you commit to him or you move on and look for the guy who is. Teams that hedge are the ones that get in trouble.
Fair point...And I do agree but with regards to Lamar...

I'm not sure sure I think the Ravens are hedging - I think they want Lamar, but they want him at a price that atones for the fact that he's a runner who plays QB...the legs don't last at the NFL level, and they want some assurance they have flexibility down the line if Lamar is no longer Lamar once his legs go...Personally, I don't think it's an unfair request considering the history of QB's of which Lamar is following.

IMO, Hurts has shown far more ability in the pocket than Jackson, and while Hurts can, and does, run - the passing game for him is not predicated upon his legs. His passing numbers have increased the past 2 years (somethin Jackson can't say since he regressed from his MVP season, and hasn't finished the past 2).

I mean, the report out there says Lamar was offered 133 - 200M guaranteed covering injury and if he was on the '26 roster...so, maybe not the full number that Lamar wants, but it's in the ballpark, IMO, considering the risk of his style of QB play and how much is reliant upon him staying healthy (he hasn't) and not hurting his legs (he has), and continuing to develop as a pocket pass (to date, no proof).

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair point...And I do agree but with regards to Lamar...

I'm not sure sure I think the Ravens are hedging - I think they want Lamar, but they want him at a price that atones for the fact that he's a runner who plays QB...the legs don't last at the NFL level, and they want some assurance they have flexibility down the line if Lamar is no longer Lamar once his legs go...Personally, I don't think it's an unfair request considering the history of QB's of which Lamar is following.

IMO, Hurts has shown far more ability in the pocket than Jackson, and while Hurts can, and does, run - the passing game for him is not predicated upon his legs. His passing numbers have increased the past 2 years (somethin Jackson can't say since he regressed from his MVP season, and hasn't finished the past 2).

I mean, the report out there says Lamar was offered 133 - 200M guaranteed covering injury and if he was on the '26 roster...so, maybe not the full number that Lamar wants, but it's in the ballpark, IMO, considering the risk of his style of QB play and how much is reliant upon him staying healthy (he hasn't) and not hurting his legs (he has), and continuing to develop as a pocket pass (to date, no proof).
As soon as you put your “but” in there you fell in line with my characterization. It was a hedge. This same contract should be offered to Lamar.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hurts has earned itt. No reason to believe is is done improving at this point as well, he has been consistent with it.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say hedging on Carson Wentz worked out a lot for them.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As soon as you put your “but” in there you fell in line with my characterization. It was a hedge. This same contract should be offered to Lamar.
No.

No buts. I said but, in regards to Lamar...meaning to turn the conversation to Lamar...

Hurts future ability > Lamar. Therefore, Lamar should not get the same contract. End of story.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was paid first. Then they hedged when he got hurt again.
We did also see two other teams commit to Wentz. Generally teams do commit to franchise QBs. Everyone once in awhile you'll see a Cousins situation in Washington or whatever is going on in Baltimore but thats definitely the exception to the rule. There was no doubt that Hurts was getting the bag from Philly.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say hedging on Carson Wentz worked out a lot for them.
It really wasn’t a hedge. He negotiated a fair market deal at the time based on the going rate. The Eagles structuring of the contract gave them an out. They committed to him and they paid him fair market value.

fightinfunbags

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,330.02
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No.

No buts. I said but, in regards to Lamar...meaning to turn the conversation to Lamar...

Hurts future ability > Lamar. Therefore, Lamar should not get the same contract. End of story.
What? How can you tell the future? These guys play a similar game in terms of using their legs, getting outside of the pocket and rushing the football. One team believes in their guy and another team wants to hedge.