• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HUNH or Old School Football?

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The starters are the starters for a reason. the best 11 in general will be those starters. so after the first play if the offense runs back up to the line to run another play the defense should in theory still have their best 11 out there and not need a sub. then the next play and the next and the next. still the same 11 starters for the offense still the best 11.

That statement is wrong in so many ways and you even got two thumbs up (surprise by who). There are only 11 players allowed on the field at a time for each team. There are plenty of times a different 11 is the best 11 to have on the field. But this statement of best 11 on best 11 is ridiculous because it is always 11 on 11! It is so much easier for the offense to run any play with it's base offense players. To think that is the case with defense is ridiculous!

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing better than a physical D stopping the HUNH. Stanford doesn't need rule changes to stop Oregon, like others pointed out they own the LOS. Saban is scared to death of Texas A&M and Auburn, but needs to be the great coach he is and stop them without crying to the NCAA. The problem with the HUNH is if you can't recruit great skill position athletes, you're doomed. (big ten)

You really believe this? They beat Auburn 49-0 and 42-14 two previous years and was leading by 7 and just got a first down on Auburn's 5 yard line with 3 minutes to go and a holding call (wow!) moved them back and they got no points. Alabama was leading 28-21 (wow-ton of points) at that point. Any points and they win. Now all of a sudden they can't beat HUNH? Texas A&M had their best QB in history and it took an interception to seal the deal the year before when Alabama had 3 turnovers. Bama was leading by 21 this year when some wacky plays got A&M back in it. HOwever, A&M never had the ball to tie the game! HUNH!

The assumptions that Alabama can not play HUNH is ridiculous! OU beat them and made great plays to do so. Converted more damn 3rd down plays barely then they had all year and we know the QB never threw like that. It happens but to come to the conclusion of some of the shit I'm reading is :scratch:

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It clearly scares them. This is proven indisputably by the fact that Saban is sucking off anyone with a hint of influence to try to get a rule implemented to stop it.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bo Pelini interview excerpt:

Q: What’s your take on the proposal to slow down the up-tempo offenses?

A: They need to sit down and decide what they want college football to be. It’s more of a philosophical thing. Let’s face it, that 10-second rule isn’t going to change college football. That isn’t fixing the issues that people are complaining about.

What would I like? I’m old school. I don’t think football was meant to go and snap the ball as fast as you can, so people can’t get lined up and you don’t have to block anybody. Let’s line up and see who can execute the best. Let’s face it: I don’t think it’s going that way.
I don’t think it’s a health issue. It’s philosophy. Do we want this to be seven on seven track meets? Or do we want it to be football? This isn’t football. Maybe one series a half, you have to huddle. That would be a novel idea.
Q: But you’re trying to play fast on offense, too, right?

A: If I have to deal with it, I’m going to make sure someone else has to deal with it.

BamaTee1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It clearly scares them. This is proven indisputably by the fact that Saban is sucking off anyone with a hint of influence to try to get a rule implemented to stop it.

I think anyone who doesn't even show who their team is has no credibility! JDM, you're like a 14 yo when it comes to discussing a topic! "clearly scared...sucking off anyone." Grow up!

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

A: They need to sit down and decide what they want college football to be. It’s more of a philosophical thing. Let’s face it, that 10-second rule isn’t going to change college football. That isn’t fixing the issues that people are complaining about.

What would I like? I’m old school. I don’t think football was meant to go and snap the ball as fast as you can, so people can’t get lined up and you don’t have to block anybody. Let’s line up and see who can execute the best. Let’s face it: I don’t think it’s going that way.
I don’t think it’s a health issue. It’s philosophy. Do we want this to be seven on seven track meets? Or do we want it to be football? This isn’t football. Maybe one series a half, you have to huddle. That would be a novel idea.

A: If I have to deal with it, I’m going to make sure someone else has to deal with it.

That is nonsense. Pelini and almost every DC disguises blitzes to confuse an OL, so defenders can run in untouched. Just intellectually dishonest.

Tomhusker

The Original Husker+ Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 271.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is nonsense. Pelini and almost every DC disguises blitzes to confuse an OL, so defenders can run in untouched. Just intellectually dishonest.

Like I would expect a Whoren fan to agree with Pelini.

nb4 lame daddy references.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Jesus Christ. That's twice today I've agreed with a Texas fan.

occupant

Resident Inhabitant and nerve striker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,345.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rules apply to BOTH teams.

BOTH teams are able to gameplan against the opponent, using their roster according to the rules.

If your team is perceptibly falling by the wayside in relation to the pace and tendencies of the game and rules goverened by it...TOUGH SHIT.

Athletes are different than 40 years ago. Of course the game is going to change. Hell, you think it might be different another 30 years from now?

Hurry ups and spreads et al have been around for a good while now...so why the current rush to flip the script?

Player safety? No.
The "sanctity" of the game? No.

You don't HAVE to show your hand as a defense before the ball is put in play. You can obfuscate your coverages and schemes any number of ways. When the offense rotates personnel, the defense is given opportunity to rotate as well.

Let's just bury this poor thing so it doesn't have to suffer any longer.

The Crimson King

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rules apply to BOTH teams.

BOTH teams are able to gameplan against the opponent, using their roster according to the rules.

If your team is perceptibly falling by the wayside in relation to the pace and tendencies of the game and rules goverened by it...TOUGH SHIT.

Athletes are different than 40 years ago. Of course the game is going to change. Hell, you think it might be different another 30 years from now?

Hurry ups and spreads et al have been around for a good while now...so why the current rush to flip the script?

Player safety? No.
The "sanctity" of the game? No.

You don't HAVE to show your hand as a defense before the ball is put in play. You can obfuscate your coverages and schemes any number of ways. When the offense rotates personnel, the defense is given opportunity to rotate as well.

Let's just bury this poor thing so it doesn't have to suffer any longer.

I just read that John Heisman was running the hunh at Auburn back in the 1890s. Wonder if that's true

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think anyone who doesn't even show who their team is has no credibility! JDM, you're like a 14 yo when it comes to discussing a topic! "clearly scared...sucking off anyone." Grow up!

I don't have a team. College football is a joke and will be until they have a legitimate playoff.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That statement is wrong in so many ways and you even got two thumbs up (surprise by who). There are only 11 players allowed on the field at a time for each team. There are plenty of times a different 11 is the best 11 to have on the field. But this statement of best 11 on best 11 is ridiculous because it is always 11 on 11! It is so much easier for the offense to run any play with it's base offense players. To think that is the case with defense is ridiculous!

th

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with Pelini on this. I'm not particularly a fan of the hunh, but I want to see my team make defensive adjustments to deal with it, not cry to the NCAA to make rulebook adjustments.

Also, even though I'm no fan of it, I'm glad to see that Sark said he'll be implementing some of it. I figure let the hunh teams that our defense has to deal with, try to deal with the athletes we have on offense in an hunh.

Really makes me wish Marqise Lee would have stuck around 1 more year!!:lol:

outofyourmind

Oklahoma Sooners
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bud Wilkinson was running a Hurry Up Offense in the 1950's.
He won a lot of games and people didn't like it.
Other coaches didn't complain and moan about it, they got better at playing football.

It's nothing new, except for the whiney bitches we have now.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really don't understand why Saban is scared shitless of the HUNH? This isn't the 1st time new offenses have been introduced and shredded defenses; then in 3-4 years, defenses adapted and overcame. The Wishbone was shredding defenses when DKR and Emory Bellard introduced it to CFB; defenses adapted. Same thing about the Run N Shoot. Saban needs to stop pissing sitting down and him and Smart just need to come up with a scheme to stop Aggy and AU. Hell, follow LSU's blueprint; they shut down Aggy and AU pretty well.