• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HUNH or Old School Football?

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And so? If the offense substitutes, the defense gets to as well. So what if the offense is adjusting, the defense can too. They also get to substitute anytime the offense does.

Of course they do.

They just don't get 15 to 20 seconds to make a decision.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they do.

That is the advantage of being the offense. You can dictate pace. HUNH simply forces opposing coaches to efficient in substitution or play a multiple defense. Essentially they want to play 11 on 11. Opposing defenses want to use 20-30 players and make it a referendum on recruiting

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course they do.

The defense is never going to have as much time as the offense. Defense is a reactionary position. Hunh offenses aren't that tough to deal with if your defense is organized and prepared. They just have to be a little quicker about what they do.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the advantage of being the offense. You can dictate pace. HUNH simply forces opposing coaches to efficient in substitution or play a multiple defense. Essentially they want to play 11 on 11. Opposing defenses want to use 20-30 players and make it a referendum on recruiting

This is what I find interesting with some of the anti-hunh folks. Some of them say they want "my best 11 vs. your best 11". Well, that's exactly what the hunh forces, their best 11 vs. the defenses best 11.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer old school games. But the HUNH does not bother me. The best way to counteract that is you secondary. That is the reason some teams(FSU being one) are HEAVY on secondary recruits. THe better the secondary the better your chances against HUNH Spread offenses.

HuskerOC

Huskers 24/7 365
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I find interesting with some of the anti-hunh folks. Some of them say they want "my best 11 vs. your best 11". Well, that's exactly what the hunh forces, their best 11 vs. the defenses best 11.

The ONLY thing it forces is the best 6 specialty players on the offense against the match ups that the Offensive Coordinator likes in the down and distance situation against the defensive players that are on the field.

The best 11 vs. the best 11 left college football a long long time ago.

The reality is that people want more scoring and more offense. They don't want fair. They want to be entertained whether it be good football or not. Guys running around the field scoring touchdowns is more entertaining than QBs getting sacked and defenses winning 30% of the snaps.

17-14 games with great defensive football has been lost.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I prefer old school games. But the HUNH does not bother me. The best way to counteract that is you secondary. That is the reason some teams(FSU being one) are HEAVY on secondary recruits. THe better the secondary the better your chances against HUNH Spread offenses.

Best way is to dominate the LOS. There isnt an offense I know that can beat that

JDM

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The ONLY thing it forces is the best 6 specialty players on the offense against the match ups that the Offensive Coordinator likes in the down and distance situation against the defensive players that are on the field.

The reality is that people want more scoring and more offense. They don't want fair. They want to be entertained whether it be good football or not. Guys running around the field scoring touchdowns is more entertaining than QBs getting sacked and defenses winning 30% of the snaps.

Play better defense. Don't ask the rules to do it for you. It's pathetic and it's desperate.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not true at all. The OC sends his best 11 out there on first down and so does the defense. When that play is run, the offense either substitutes or lines up for the next play. If the offense substitutes, the defense gets time to do so as well. If the offense doesn't, then the defense either keeps the same 11 on the field (just like the offense) or they can substitute, but they have to be quick.

I've watched USC successfully substitute players on defense vs. the hunh, even when the offense didn't. The defensive coaches just had to communicate and make sure that the player they are sending in is ready to go and that the guy coming out sprints off the field.

If you really want "fair" there are plenty of other rules that could be changed before getting rid of the hunh or adding any "10 second rules".

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best way is to dominate the LOS. There isnt an offense I know that can beat that

With a great secondary it takes a lot of pressure of your DL so that they can attack and not have make so many reads. This is why Bama, FSU, UF, LSU are all looking at having a loaded secondary. To give relief in run support and against the pass. A good CB on a TE is a win for the D compared to a big LB in coverage.

I heard Jimbo Fisher in an interview answer a question on why he looks for so many secondary guys. His response was that when you coach your defense back to front(secondary to DL) there are more possibilities to make big plays against a spread offense. You can dictate what the offense can do more when the coverage is so tight.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

It's exactly how teams like LSU, Auburn, Stanford and USC have beaten Oregon.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's exactly how teams like LSU, Auburn, Stanford and USC have beaten Oregon.

The more it changes the more it is the same, especially in college. If you stop the run, you stop the offense. Auburn beat Oregon and had a terrible secondary, but a beast of a DT.

Olyduck

Fast Hard Finish
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,704.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The starters are the starters for a reason. the best 11 in general will be those starters. so after the first play if the offense runs back up to the line to run another play the defense should in theory still have their best 11 out there and not need a sub. then the next play and the next and the next. still the same 11 starters for the offense still the best 11.

MarkOU

License to Thrill
Hoopla Cash
$ 287.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
OU football hasn't changed since I watched them.

Only their method has changed.

The score points, lots of them. That's the kind of football I like.

outofyourmind agree's.

Lance Armstrong

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing better than a physical D stopping the HUNH. Stanford doesn't need rule changes to stop Oregon, like others pointed out they own the LOS. Saban is scared to death of Texas A&M and Auburn, but needs to be the great coach he is and stop them without crying to the NCAA. The problem with the HUNH is if you can't recruit great skill position athletes, you're doomed. (big ten)

Edisto_Tiger

Member Sporting a Natty
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like the one that my team is running and winning with. I don't care which one, as long as we are winning.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not a big fan of 17-14 games. If you have a game with that score these days more likey than not it's two teams with bad offenses not two teams with good defenses. Not a fan of 54-48 either.
I watched my old HS(small catholic school) run a version of the spread /hurry up years ago and they competed with bigger teams (schools with many more students). Which is the reason alot of teams have switched to that. You can find way more 5'9-5'11 guys who are athletic and fast than you can find 6'2-6'4" guys who run 4.4. So teams who traditionally sent players to the NFL can get kids who are NFL size and speed . The schools who couldn't feild an offense and defense with a majority of NFL type bodies were always at a disadvantage with But with the spread /hurry up teams like Boise and Oregon evened the playing field by loading up on 5'8 RBs and 5'11 WRs who were lightning fast and putting them out in space where speed won over size. Smaller Olines didn't doom these schemes because they didn't have to do traditional pass protecting because the QB was always on the move so D line couldnt just bull rush them. I have been saying for years that teams had to revamp their defensive philosophy and have to be more flexible . You have to have safety type defenders play linebacker (Troy Palumalu types), more athletic faster D ends even if they aren't the traditional 6'3" size when you're playing the spread teams .