• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How would you build a dominant D?

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 506.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you guys (Sick as well) miss the entire 2013 season? Seems like the Hawks built a dominant defense just this past year.

Thank you.
Actually, our D has been a major focus since Pete came aboard.
7-9 1st year and we were pretty weak.
7-9 2nd year, but the D shaved almost 100 points off of Points Allowed from the year before. That was they year we won the division with a losing record, enjoyed the BeastQuake vs the Saints and played tough in Chicago.
11-5 3rd year. Got RW and the LOB came into vogue. More pass rush needed. Young LB's were carrying their weight. Lost Clem and thereby lost at Atlanta in the divisional round as there was no QB pressure. D coordinator went "prevent" in last 31 seconds of the game allowing Atlanta to move into FG range to win the game.
More pass rush needed.
13-3 4th year of a 4 year plan. The added pass rush of Bennett and Avril were the difference in building this defense, which is spectacular.
To be honest, I think your D is #2 right behind us.
That hurts to say that, just so you know.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
controlling the line of scrimmage and getting to the qb. stop the run and it'll make the corners look better than they are.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For me it is:
3-4:
A big strong nose tackle who needs to be double teamed On pass rush can collapse the pocket some to make less room for the QB to step up.

2 DEs who can hold their ground in case of a rush and get push to collapse the pocket 6-8 sacks per season type guys who can shed and tackle runners

An inside linebacker who can tackle runners with ease and force enough to create fumbles. Run Blitzes a lot and then goes after QB
An inside linebacker who can cover TEs. Controls the middle part of the field like an extra SS

2 OLBers who can rush the passer and hold contain while doing so. I like these guys to be 6-4 and 250 lbs. Fast and Agile.

Corners I 5'10-6'0 and run better 3 cone drills than straight line speed. I want them to be agile enough to cut and do man to man coverage. Also strong enough to jam on the line so they dont play back so much.

FS and SS I want to be the same type of player. Smart, fast, and ball hawks. I would rather 2 FS than a SS and FS. Make the QB afraid to throw the ball over the middle or it gets picked.

in order of importance for 3-4:
OLB, FS/SS, ILB2, DE, CB, NT, ILB1

For a 4-3:
I want 2 DT who weigh around 295 and strong to get push up the middle. I would want them to be the main sack guys

DEs 275 hold contain and try to force things up the middle.

WOLB fast can rush passer and cover TEs

MLBer I want this guy to be a hard hitting son of a bitch who is agile enough to get around blockers to take care of runs up the gut

SLB can cover TEs if needed, but will run in and take up blockers for the MLBer to get in and make the tackle

Secondary the same

In a 4-3 order of importance to me is:
DT, MLB, FS/SS, SLB, CB, DE, WLB

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
getting to the QB makes the corners look better.

From what I see with run blitzing and then following that up with a blitz on qb it works great. Arizona and the Rams love to do that and it kills the niners so much. Makes a team one dimensional cause they cant run at all so you know its pass. Easier to control a game when you know whats coming.

That is one of the biggest issues I have with the 9ers offense. They see a run blitz after run blitz and the way to beat that run blitz is by screens and no screens at all. No TE screens even. I don't understand the logic of not throwing them.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Do you mean dominant defense now or in the near future?

As I see it:

Bowman, Willis, Aldon, and Reid are all pieces that we already have in place for a dominant D.

Carradine is obviously a question mark but if he's healthy he's a mid 1st round+ talent so if he develops he could be a vital piece.

Lemonier is a guy that's still a question mark but I thought he showed some promise and could develop as a good complement to Aldon at OLB.

Okoye is a big time dark horse but if Tomsula can get him to play at a high level a combination of him and Carradine in the future with Aldon and Lemonier on the outside could be a very terrifying thing for opposing QBs.

The biggest area we need to improve is at CB were we need a true #1 kind of guy. Brock and Cully are solid #2 and #3 types of CB but not guys I would really trust to keep the big boys of WRs in check. This is where I believe the draft is going to come in to play and we'll have to draft the CB position in hopes it can be dominant.

At NT Dorsey could work well enough imo but who knows if he's here long term so it's still a position that I wouldn't consider in place.

So to sum up I would say the glaring pieces we're missing are CB and possibly NT and if Baalke hits on the guys in last year's and this year's draft we could potentially have a pretty terrifying and dominant defense.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sick are you asking for a "fantasy" defense or a defense that can be put together through next years FA and this and next years draft?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

nothing really in free agency. we need a NT and a replacement for justin smith (hopefully tank can fill that role). nothing really sticks out in the draft outside of corner.

ngata at NT next to justin smith would be nasty tho, especially with aldon and someone like dumervil coming off the edges. me and u could play corner in that d.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Sick are you asking for a "fantasy" defense or a defense that can be put together through next years FA and this and next years draft?

The latter.

I'm starting to think the ship has sailed on building the kind of defense I was describing, and maybe it's time to start thinking long-term again. :drink:

But if anyone disagrees feel free to tell me who would accomplish that.