• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How to Fix Bengals and Browns

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zietler is the top FA guard on the market, he is going to get 10+ million a year, and it is not worth spending that much on a guard. You can't keep everyone and draft 11 guys while signing a free agent or two. They only signed Jones to 3 years, he played one, his signing bonus was not huge. Kirkpatrick will get 6-8 million a year, and in my opinion he is not worth that.

We have to keep Whitworth. Resign Lefell for another year or two. Green, Lefell, Boyd, Samuel, Core, Erickson with Eifert, Kroft, Uzomah is just fine for our WR core.

I am sure you can find a second tier guard on the FA market to replace Zietler that is between 4 to 6 million if you have to. Next year, we are gonna have to spend mega bucks on Eifert, better save some contracts now in a few areas while we have the young talent.

Plus, they are trying to make Shaw a free safety, and transition him from corner. Our safety depth is really: Iloka, Williams, Shaw, Smith.

I agree that I'm not paying Zeitler top guard type of money..... He's not one of the top guards. But, I also agree that our line is going to suck if we continue to miss on draft picks.

Why are you cutting Eifert a big check? If he misses more than 3 games this year, I think you need to let him move on. I love what he brings to the field when he is around, but he is not dependable at all. I'm betting that the Patriots are starting to question why they are still paying Gronk.... He's one of the most talented guys to play the position in the modern age, but he's not really worth it as he's never healthy.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that I'm not paying Zeitler top guard type of money..... He's not one of the top guards. But, I also agree that our line is going to suck if we continue to miss on draft picks.

Why are you cutting Eifert a big check? If he misses more than 3 games this year, I think you need to let him move on. I love what he brings to the field when he is around, but he is not dependable at all. I'm betting that the Patriots are starting to question why they are still paying Gronk.... He's one of the most talented guys to play the position in the modern age, but he's not really worth it as he's never healthy.

You imagine the backlash that Mike would get if he left Eifert walk? You imagine the backlash the Patriots front office would get if they left Gronk walk even with their track record? Way too popular and talented to just let them go.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You imagine the backlash that Mike would get if he left Eifert walk? You imagine the backlash the Patriots front office would get if they left Gronk walk even with their track record? Way too popular and talented to just let them go.

I bet the Patriots let Gronk go sometime soon. They let go of popular players all the time. Peter King even addressed it earlier this year:

Could the Patriots Part Ways With Rob Gronkowski? | The MMQB with Peter King

As for Eifert..... Cincinnati fans are typically hard on players that are injured. I remember how under-appreciated Eric Davis was in the late 80s because he had trouble staying healthy. We would have been fine getting rid of Griffey a few years earlier than we did even though he was a local legend. Ask a typical Cincinnati fan to show any amount of sympathy for Ki Jana Carter or Chris Perry. My sense is that fans would be fine letting Eifert walk if the guy continues to get hurt. Can't count on him.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I bet the Patriots let Gronk go sometime soon. They let go of popular players all the time. Peter King even addressed it earlier this year:

Could the Patriots Part Ways With Rob Gronkowski? | The MMQB with Peter King

As for Eifert..... Cincinnati fans are typically hard on players that are injured. I remember how under-appreciated Eric Davis was in the late 80s because he had trouble staying healthy. We would have been fine getting rid of Griffey a few years earlier than we did even though he was a local legend. Ask a typical Cincinnati fan to show any amount of sympathy for Ki Jana Carter or Chris Perry. My sense is that fans would be fine letting Eifert walk if the guy continues to get hurt. Can't count on him.

Thing is, you gotta have someone to replace the fucker. The Patriots can toy with letting Gronk go because they have Marty B as well. A good TE.

If this year is any proof, the Bengals have nothing behind Eifert on the TE depth chart. Which is funny because I swear they've used several picks on TEs the last few years.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing is, you gotta have someone to replace the fucker. The Patriots can toy with letting Gronk go because they have Marty B as well. A good TE.

If this year is any proof, the Bengals have nothing behind Eifert on the TE depth chart. Which is funny because I swear they've used several picks on TEs the last few years.

So, you're not buying Tyler Kroft? His 900 total yards in a college career didn't impress you?

This is precisely the reason they need to move on from Eifert. As long as he's on the roster, they won't address a glaring need..... The fact is that we need another tight end. Particularly given the fact that our all-pro tight end is a china doll.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Letting Zeitler walk brings the O line back to square 1. They'll be left with 1 very good Ol (Boling), and one good, but living on borrowed time Ol in Whitworth (when they sign him over Zeitler) There is no one on the roster with any experience to fill his spot. So then you're left with 3 question marks on the line.
Zeitler made $8 million last year (because of the 5th year option), he's not worth 2 more?
Whit made $8 million as well. He's not getting that again next year, from anyone.
10 for Zeitler and 6 for Whit gives you the same amount on those 2 for next year.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone is suggesting that the Bengals SHOULD let Zeitler walk. Merely that it's inevitable that they will.

Obviously letting a damn good player at a position of weakness walk out the door isn't a good idea. However, the likelihood is they won't be willing to pay what it takes to keep him. This is still Mike Brown's show. He didn't pay Eric Steinbach. He won't pay Zeitler.

I'm expecting a Hobson article any day now about how the Bengals are somehow so strapped for cap space that they won't be able to keep tha stadium lights on.

Their answer will be to plug Fisher at RG and call it a day. Oh, and draft another CB in the 1st round that won't do shit for 3 years.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, you're not buying Tyler Kroft? His 900 total yards in a college career didn't impress you?

This is precisely the reason they need to move on from Eifert. As long as he's on the roster, they won't address a glaring need..... The fact is that we need another tight end. Particularly given the fact that our all-pro tight end is a china doll.

I fully agree that TE needs to be addressed. I'm just not sure letting Eifert leave is the best call. I know he's made of tampons and can't be relied on, but he's awfully talented. The best player they've had at that position in god knows how long. I guess I'm just reluctant to let the guy leave because I still remember the days of Reggie Kelly and Daniel Coats at TE. Wasn't a fun time.

I forgot about Kroft lol. It was him and Uzomah in the same draft. Jeepers. The Bengals sure are whizzes at this drafting thing.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zietler is the top FA guard on the market, he is going to get 10+ million a year, and it is not worth spending that much on a guard. You can't keep everyone and draft 11 guys while signing a free agent or two. They only signed Jones to 3 years, he played one, his signing bonus was not huge. Kirkpatrick will get 6-8 million a year, and in my opinion he is not worth that.

We have to keep Whitworth. Resign Lefell for another year or two. Green, Lefell, Boyd, Samuel, Core, Erickson with Eifert, Kroft, Uzomah is just fine for our WR core.

I am sure you can find a second tier guard on the FA market to replace Zietler that is between 4 to 6 million if you have to. Next year, we are gonna have to spend mega bucks on Eifert, better save some contracts now in a few areas while we have the young talent.

Plus, they are trying to make Shaw a free safety, and transition him from corner. Our safety depth is really: Iloka, Williams, Shaw, Smith.
They are not making Shaw a FS, just stop. Just stop. We also have Russel who was a 3rd round pick that we grabbed last year. Yes, please let us get a lower tier OG to play between our horrible C and our bad RT and then expect anyone to be able to run or Dalton to have any time. That is a brilliant plan. Taking a CB early is a dumb move. Just plain and simple. Jones isn't leaving. They don't care about him getting in trouble. When have they ever cared about that? Jones is a Marv guy and he will be here next year. I do like how you want to make our CB worse and not add a pass rusher. Like do you want our defense to be horrible? I'd absolutely pay Dre 6-7 mil a year, he is our best CB. I'd also pay Zietler what he wants. We have cap space.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fully agree that TE needs to be addressed. I'm just not sure letting Eifert leave is the best call. I know he's made of tampons and can't be relied on, but he's awfully talented. The best player they've had at that position in god knows how long. I guess I'm just reluctant to let the guy leave because I still remember the days of Reggie Kelly and Daniel Coats at TE. Wasn't a fun time.

I forgot about Kroft lol. It was him and Uzomah in the same draft. Jeepers. The Bengals sure are whizzes at this drafting thing.
There are a lot of very good TE in this draft. Give me Legget or Ingrim or Njoku or there is a small school kid whose name I can't remember right now, but he looks great.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'd say Zietler is a top 5 LG. He just didn't look like it this year because he had the leagues worst C and the leagues worst RT on either side of him. You try to look good when the guys on both sides of you are getting beat every play.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw a mock that had us going:

1. Solomon Thomas DE
2. Raekwan McMillon LB
3. Evan Ingrim TE
4. Joe Mixon RB

I'd be pretty damn happy with this.

BKBroiler9000

Glass Eater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just saw a mock that had us going:

1. Solomon Thomas DE
2. Raekwan McMillon LB
3. Evan Ingrim TE
4. Joe Mixon RB

I'd be pretty damn happy with this.

Sounds good to me. Thomas might be my favorite DE. He was unblockable in that bowl game. Also, the Bengals would be the team to draft Mixon lol. The media would have a field day with that one.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds good to me. Thomas might be my favorite DE. He was unblockable in that bowl game. Also, the Bengals would be the team to draft Mixon lol. The media would have a field day with that one.
I'd be fine with it. Kid might be the 2nd most talented back in the country.

alf8478

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone is suggesting that the Bengals SHOULD let Zeitler walk. Merely that it's inevitable that they will.

Obviously letting a damn good player at a position of weakness walk out the door isn't a good idea. However, the likelihood is they won't be willing to pay what it takes to keep him. This is still Mike Brown's show. He didn't pay Eric Steinbach. He won't pay Zeitler.

I'm expecting a Hobson article any day now about how the Bengals are somehow so strapped for cap space that they won't be able to keep tha stadium lights on.

Their answer will be to plug Fisher at RG and call it a day. Oh, and draft another CB in the 1st round that won't do shit for 3 years.

They will say all of the extra comp picks will take up all of their cap space

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By all accounts the Bengals offered Zeilter the deal they wanted to give him..... They offered it to him this past offseason. He didn't sign - His agent sees DeCastro money and wants something in that ballpark.

I don't see how this scenario is changing..... The Bengals weren't willing to meet the demands last offseason - They aren't changing their mind now.

With the Bengals it's always all about getting the deal done a year early. That's when they are most successful. It didn't happen and it won't happen.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW -- Zeitler isn't worth DeCastro money.

Yes, we have the cap space.... But he's not a top guard.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By all accounts the Bengals offered Zeilter the deal they wanted to give him..... They offered it to him this past offseason. He didn't sign - His agent sees DeCastro money and wants something in that ballpark.

I don't see how this scenario is changing..... The Bengals weren't willing to meet the demands last offseason - They aren't changing their mind now.

With the Bengals it's always all about getting the deal done a year early. That's when they are most successful. It didn't happen and it won't happen.
last offseason they had one of the best OL in the league and were coming off a playoff game they should have won with McCarron starting. This year they are picking top 10 and their C and RT are abysmal. I'd say a ton has changed.

Tubbs1518

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,077.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW -- Zeitler isn't worth DeCastro money.

Yes, we have the cap space.... But he's not a top guard.
Just for some thoughts, PFF ranked him 23rd among all OL, not OG but all OL this year and 3 spots behind DeCastro.