• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How far do the dominoes fall?

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With USC and Texas opening up after this year? How many coaching positions will be open because of this? Do both programs take current Head coaches of other programs opening positions for those schools and do those schools hire outside? Or promote from within?

I bet Texas could get just about anyone they want, excluding Belichick and Saban. USC I don't think has gotten their #1 guy in like 20 years.

I have a feeling there is going to be major shifts and realignments on the coaching end of things around college football next season.

Ironbreaker

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,116.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not convinced Texas will get rid of Mack. Those guys are kind of thick in the head.

Though unlikely if things get worse in USC I can see Kiffin getting axed before the season ends. They are already on the verge of riots.

OregonDucks

Oregon Is Faster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, not sure Kiffin gets let go mid season. don't see the benefit for USC, you're still fighting sanctions, the season will already be lost, keep him until the end of the year and maybe it costs a little less to fire him.

I have to think if this season unravels for Texas, Mack will HAVE to go.

BTHOtu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was listening to a Mac Brown interview on Sirius CH 91 last month and he sounded like he knew that this would be his last year and he didn't give a shit. Even though he said the exact opposite.

Doctor Krieger

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A couple guys I follow on twitter seem to think UT would be the only school that could pry Fitzgerald away from NW....not so sure.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Mack Brown retires, I'm not so sure UT needs to go get someone who is on everyone's top list. Mack wasn't exactly the hottest coach in America at the time he was hired. He had a very good reputation, had shown success and had a history of doing well in various situations. But most of all the guy has a good personality. Texas could find another diamond in the rough like Mack that will surprise everyone. Remember that it's hard to move a hugely successful coach directly from one school to another. It often times ends up being a disappointment. An ideal move is what Urban Meyer did: win big at Florida, "retire" for awhile, and then take a new job at a great football school like Ohio State. My money is on Mack righting the ship and lasting one more year to give the Horns plenty of time to make a smooth transition under a new AD coming in next year. Look for a new coach at UT in 2015 unless the roof falls in this year.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, not sure Kiffin gets let go mid season. don't see the benefit for USC, you're still fighting sanctions, the season will already be lost, keep him until the end of the year and maybe it costs a little less to fire him.

I have to think if this season unravels for Texas, Mack will HAVE to go.
-
It would make sense for USC to start the search prior to Texas. That might be the biggest influence Texas has on CFB this yr, if Makc is truly gone.

trojanfight

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as bad as it looks with kiffin im not so sure theres a better alternative even if he makes it through season. with the sanctions usc has still managed to have a #8 recruiting class and a #13 last 2 years...if they fire him and dip into the 20s or so its only going to make things worse.. they brought in more 5 stars this last class than any other school...yeah all that doesn't translate on the field but who knows.... I just would hate to see him go and recruiting takes a bigger hit without him.

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
as bad as it looks with kiffin im not so sure theres a better alternative even if he makes it through season. with the sanctions usc has still managed to have a #8 recruiting class and a #13 last 2 years...if they fire him and dip into the 20s or so its only going to make things worse.. they brought in more 5 stars this last class than any other school...yeah all that doesn't translate on the field but who knows.... I just would hate to see him go and recruiting takes a bigger hit without him.
-
Ironically, I think some of the sanctions are about Kiffin. At a time when the NCAA was breathing done USC's back they hired a guy with some questionable behavior.

Goldbug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

USC is an easy school to recruit to and they take maximum advantage of it. Jeez, look at the tradition! And the fan base is huge. Not to mention they always have some near-NFL quality high school players they can recruit who are within a couple of hours driving time to the campus. The only knocks on USC are its location (not the greatest part of town) and their facilities (which they will now be able to rectify since they are taking over the stadium). Kiffin should have at least one year when he's off probation to prove he's either the loser dick a lot of people think is he or he's another John McKay; a dick who wins National Championships.

Sox33OSU

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Chris Petersen to USC rumors are gonna be red hot by month's end, I bet.

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
USC is an easy school to recruit to and they take maximum advantage of it. Jeez, look at the tradition! And the fan base is huge. Not to mention they always have some near-NFL quality high school players they can recruit who are within a couple of hours driving time to the campus. The only knocks on USC are its location (not the greatest part of town) and their facilities (which they will now be able to rectify since they are taking over the stadium). Kiffin should have at least one year when he's off probation to prove he's either the loser dick a lot of people think is he or he's another John McKay; a dick who wins National Championships.

I agree, I say keep Kiffin :lol:

Here is some food for thought, with USC being easy to recruit to and more 5 stars than any other team, its apparent their is talent. Now its the coaches job to translate that talent to wins on the field, showing he is not doing his job and this was not unknown to those who watched his fiasco in the NFL and his one year at Tennessee. Point being, the man cannot coach. Even during the pounding that Bama took they managed some really decent teams every couple of years under Shula and that shows it can be done at schools easy to recruit to like the USC's and Bama's of the NCAA. Kiffin is a joke and needs to be let go immediately before he has time to further ruin anymore talent that he might not have screwed up already.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

People need to keep in mind that USC has 67 scholarship players compared to everyone else's 85!! Remove 18 scholarship players from any team and see what you have. This would kill MOST programs for a long time, yet USC entering our 4th year of sanctions, hasn't had a losing season.

Kiffin had the 2nd best record over his first 2 seasons in USC history with no bowl games to play for!!

Somehow, people expect that USC, basically playing with one hand tied behind our backs, to win NC's!! Ask 'Bama what sanctions that were much lighter than what USC got, did to their program!!

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kiffin must stay at SoCal

#KeepKiffin

Codaxx

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People need to keep in mind that USC has 67 scholarship players compared to everyone else's 85!! Remove 18 scholarship players from any team and see what you have. This would kill MOST programs for a long time, yet USC entering our 4th year of sanctions, hasn't had a losing season.

Kiffin had the 2nd best record over his first 2 seasons in USC history with no bowl games to play for!!

Somehow, people expect that USC, basically playing with one hand tied behind our backs, to win NC's!! Ask 'Bama what sanctions that were much lighter than what USC got, did to their program!!
-
I would fire Kiffin. He is a PR nightmare and is not getting it done on the field. You can say a lot about Mack, but he is a good ambassador for the program. Kiffin is a train wreck in every aspect. I think the PR stuff is actually a bigger reason to fire him.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, I say keep Kiffin :lol:

Here is some food for thought, with USC being easy to recruit to and more 5 stars than any other team, its apparent their is talent. Now its the coaches job to translate that talent to wins on the field, showing he is not doing his job and this was not unknown to those who watched his fiasco in the NFL and his one year at Tennessee. Point being, the man cannot coach. Even during the pounding that Bama took they managed some really decent teams every couple of years under Shula and that shows it can be done at schools easy to recruit to like the USC's and Bama's of the NCAA. Kiffin is a joke and needs to be let go immediately before he has time to further ruin anymore talent that he might not have screwed up already.

Yeah, let's look at his coaching record.

Raiders: The cryptkeeper had gone bat shit crazy by the time Kiffin was hired. They were horrible when he got their and they haven't done anything since either. Apparently, no one can coach the Raiders.

Tennessee: Since 2007, Tennessee has had 1 winning season and been to 1 bowl game. It was the year Kiffin was there.

USC: Under the worst sanctions since SMU (and much heavier than what 'Bama got), USC has gone 26-14 including a record of 10-2 in 2011.

Clearly, the man can't coach!!

Bandwagonbo2

2nd amendment supporter
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, let's look at his coaching record.

Raiders: The cryptkeeper had gone bat shit crazy by the time Kiffin was hired. They were horrible when he got their and they haven't done anything since either. Apparently, no one can coach the Raiders.

Tennessee: Since 2007, Tennessee has had 1 winning season and been to 1 bowl game. It was the year Kiffin was there.

USC: Under the worst sanctions since SMU (and much heavier than what 'Bama got), USC has gone 26-14 including a record of 10-2 in 2011.

Clearly, the man can't coach!!

You dont seem to realize the coffers were full when he got there, the sanctions are now starting to take their toll and this is when his coaching ability will come into full view. He is not who you think he is and its apparent you think he is a good coach. Keep him, its no skin off my nose and I would prefer he stay in Cali and not be unleashed to destroy another teams chances at winning.

Whats sad is you are thinking selfishly and only want to keep him to get the recruits, but dont see its not translating to wins, ruining the chances for those players to play on a winner, how many more 5 stars do you think will risk it if the team doesnt produce wins under Kiffin and his lackluster offense? My guess is the roster will get thin of 5 stars soon if he doesnt produce.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You dont seem to realize the coffers were full when he got there, the sanctions are now starting to take their toll and this is when his coaching ability will come into full view. He is not who you think he is and its apparent you think he is a good coach. Keep him, its no skin off my nose and I would prefer he stay in Cali and not be unleashed to destroy another teams chances at winning.

Whats sad is you are thinking selfishly and only want to keep him to get the recruits, but dont see its not translating to wins, ruining the chances for those players to play on a winner, how many more 5 stars do you think will risk it if the team doesnt produce wins under Kiffin and his lackluster offense? My guess is the roster will get thin of 5 stars soon if he doesnt produce.

His "coffers" haven't been full the entire time that he's been at USC!! As soon as the sanctions were announced, several key players left the team when they were allowed to transfer with no penalty. He salvaged most of that recruiting class and managed an 8-5 record in his first season.

In his 2nd season, he took what was left from his first season, signed a highly rated recruiting class and went 10-2 with a win over Oregon at Oregon!!

Last year, with the first of the schollie reductions and with only 15 scholarship players a team that lost several key players to injury went 7-6!! Definitely sucked, especially given the media driven expectations (that team never should have been a pre-season #1). Yeah, there were some embarrassing things that happened (tried to ban a reporter, underinflated footballs) and the season got away from them. It happens. Additionally, the issues last season weren't on the offensive side of the ball (Kiffin's expertise) they were on defense!!

So he has basically had one truly bad season in his 4 years as a college head coach and still won more games than he lost!!

This year, we have 67 scholarship players and are trying to replace a Heisman candidate qb and our starting running back (Silas Redd) has missed the first 2 games recovering from a knee injury!! The current starting RB is a converted linebacker and his backup is a true freshman who under normal circumstances would be redshirting this year.

I'm not saying that Kiffin is a great coach, I'm saying that when you look at the situations that he has stepped into as a head coach they are ones that no one else wanted. I'm not convinced that any coaches not named Saban, Belichick or Harbaugh could have done any better!! In short, I'm not sure he's had much opportunity to truly show what he can do as a coach!!

How'd 'Bama do under lighter sanctions? I seem to recall at least 1 or 2 losing seasons and a loss to an FCS school!!

Last edited by a moderator: