• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

How can you play 47:59:59.5 of good basketball and lose in the final 00:00:00.5?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Horrible scheme and horrible execution on one play. The only way to lose in that situation is to leave one player completely wide open.

We really don't know if it was Tatum or Brown since we don't know the exact defense called. No question we don't blame further than assign responsibility for the player and team to learn, then move on. Each is a great player, but playoff games can't be given away.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's clear that Tatum yelled to Brown, but then Tatum went on to cover nobody. Again maybe it was Brown who was supposed to cover that side of the court and botched the communication. As a spectator it seemed like the play would have been best covered if tatum just stuck with O.G., but again the play call means everything.

Brown took responsibility after the game, but stand up guys don't pass the blame so that alone isn't the complete story... All in all, and I rarely agree with Stephen A. Smith, but I think Brad Stevens is holding the bag for not calling for a man coverage. Was he trying to prevent a screen? The Fall on the ball call was good, otherwise the ball would have been passed much sooner... And credit where it due: The pass was better than perfect and the shot went up without any wasted motion.

I suspected the time taking too long and am correct per my TIVO analysis which showed it took .6 seconds to get the shot off and it took two tenths to go from .5 to .4. I also looked at the time on the clock when Theis scored and the time could have been set to .6 instead of .5. All in all a wash.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They dropped the ball................

To throw an inbound pass completely across the court and have someone be able to release it in under .5 seconds is pretty phenom. The truth is that the guy with his finger on the timer was just a bit slow. Think about it in real time. The clock starts when the ball is touched and yet the player can touch the ball, bring his arms above his head, then release the ball all in under less than half a second.

If you put any timer that can accurately do 100ths of a second and time that play, I'm willing to bet that the play took more than one full second in real time.

Follow the money, the league does not want sweeps in the second round. $100 says that the Bucks beat the Heat tonight. Minute and ahalf to go in the 3rd and the ................Bucks 85 Heat 73

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To throw an inbound pass completely across the court and have someone be able to release it in under .5 seconds is pretty phenom. The truth is that the guy with his finger on the timer was just a bit slow. Think about it in real time. The clock starts when the ball is touched and yet the player can touch the ball, bring his arms above his head, then release the ball all in under less than half a second.

If you put any timer that can accurately do 100ths of a second and time that play, I'm willing to bet that the play took more than one full second in real time.

Follow the money, the league does not want sweeps in the second round. $100 says that the Bucks beat the Heat tonight. Minute and ahalf to go in the 3rd and the ................Bucks 85 Heat 73
I addressed that in my second post. It took just about .6 to execute the catch and shoot. The pass was perfect so the catch went into the shot. But the previous play should have left .6 on the clock. If we expect the operator to be precise on one play, the same applies to the previous.... The result is a wash and no advantage.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Didn't see the game so I can't agree or disagree.
One of the reasons I did not see is I cannot get it.
The other is, NBA is more show than sport.
Everybody travels, everybody flops, everybody steps on the 3 point line.
Call the game right and I might pay to watch.....

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't see the game so I can't agree or disagree.
One of the reasons I did not see is I cannot get it.
The other is, NBA is more show than sport.
Everybody travels, everybody flops, everybody steps on the 3 point line.
Call the game right and I might pay to watch.....
Now add in everything including a fart is considered a flagrant foul... Neither of the two flagrant fouls I saw were worthy of that, but as the commentators said, "that's the way they call them". If those calls are just being consistent, then they are consistently poor calls.

Add in the agenda driven commentary. Wannamaker went up for a layup and caught Lowry in the balls with his knee. Commentators are say lifting one knee during a layup is an "unnatural act" and deserves a flagrant. It was reviewed and determined not to be flagrant, but it makes me wonder if any of these guys have ever tried making a layup.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA has become a pussy league. I can't stand to watch Harden or Lebron play. It's a constant bitch fest if they miss a shot and a foul isn't called. Harden takes the ball around a pick and there's a defender standing in place, doesn't movehis hands let alone his feet and Harden runs into him and goes down like he hita brick wall, which he did and he screaming like hell on the floor because he totally screwed the pooch and looked like a 5th grader. He lost the ball and was screaming at an official while the other team made a layup.

LeBron expects a call on every play that he touches the ball. The last Laker game against the celtics he was 14-18 at the foul line. He scored like 38 points. Seriously, the guy is on the line every game for at least 20 foul shots.

To me, that's pandering to what the league considers it's 'superstars' and it's getting harder and harder to watch any game other than the Celtics for me. I was never a great basketball player but I was a 'good' coach and I coached girls and boys for 40 years and officiated for 33. I stopped officiating when I could np longer run with the kids. I wouldn't call anything if I wasn't within 12 feet of the play and took a ton of heat for it. Finally I just had to quit because age, fat and no feeling below the knees wasn't fair to kids who were playing at light speed.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NBA has become a pussy league. I can't stand to watch Harden or Lebron play. It's a constant bitch fest if they miss a shot and a foul isn't called. Harden takes the ball around a pick and there's a defender standing in place, doesn't movehis hands let alone his feet and Harden runs into him and goes down like he hita brick wall, which he did and he screaming like hell on the floor because he totally screwed the pooch and looked like a 5th grader. He lost the ball and was screaming at an official while the other team made a layup.

LeBron expects a call on every play that he touches the ball. The last Laker game against the celtics he was 14-18 at the foul line. He scored like 38 points. Seriously, the guy is on the line every game for at least 20 foul shots.

To me, that's pandering to what the league considers it's 'superstars' and it's getting harder and harder to watch any game other than the Celtics for me. I was never a great basketball player but I was a 'good' coach and I coached girls and boys for 40 years and officiated for 33. I stopped officiating when I could np longer run with the kids. I wouldn't call anything if I wasn't within 12 feet of the play and took a ton of heat for it. Finally I just had to quit because age, fat and no feeling below the knees wasn't fair to kids who were playing at light speed.
I agree and would expand on that and also include southie's comments too. Flopping and other antics like Lowry pulling an arm into his face to get a call are celebrated as "cagey" moves but how isn't that just garden variety cheating? I know Smart does stuff like this too, but mostly because the moves are celebrated.

It's great that Giannis can step 8 feet with each stride, but then they give him 3 and 4 steps before he's called for a travel. Wannamaker sneezes and he's called for steps. Other rules apply for Giannis too, like there's no charge if he's winking when he dips his shoulder into a defender and moves them off their spot... Then there's the Lebronnian rules exceptions. My favorite was watching him push a defender out of the way, change directions toward another defender and get the benefit of a phantom foul.

I think we can agree these types of leniencies are given across the league, though not as egregious as for Lebron and Giannis. But the game would be better as a whole if they just enforce the established rules. I have no issue with these guys being considered the best players in the game, but they need to be proving it on every play.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somtimes someone just hits the shot?

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somtimes someone just hits the shot?
I don't think anyone said anything to take away from the play. The pass was perfect and the shot was made. Though we discussed it did take .6 seconds, that certainly falls into a margin of error and probably was right when looking at the clock variance from the previous play.

It's true someone hits the shot, but would you agree a free through is a bit easier than a 15 foot contested shot? The shot O.G. made would have been more difficult with a defender in his face and likely never happens since a defender would have prevented the pass in the first place.

Conclusion: Raptors did 100% what they were supposed to and the Celtics were out of position by their own doings.

PickleRick

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think anyone said anything to take away from the play. The pass was perfect and the shot was made. Though we discussed it did take .6 seconds, that certainly falls into a margin of error and probably was right when looking at the clock variance from the previous play.

It's true someone hits the shot, but would you agree a free through is a bit easier than a 15 foot contested shot? The shot O.G. made would have been more difficult with a defender in his face and likely never happens since a defender would have prevented the pass in the first place.

Conclusion: Raptors did 100% what they were supposed to and the Celtics were out of position by their own doings.
You cant defend the whole court. You cant be everywhere at once. They literally planned on the fact that a 7 foot 6 guy could stop an overhead pass. He couldnt, the guy made the shot, game over.

nefansince75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You cant defend the whole court. You cant be everywhere at once. They literally planned on the fact that a 7 foot 6 guy could stop an overhead pass. He couldnt, the guy made the shot, game over.
You don't need to defend the whole court, but you do need to defend all the players on it. Did you watch the play? O.G. was allowed to be on his own. It's not as simple as guy made a shot when guy should not have been allowed to take the shot.

I completely agree the Raptors executed against what they were given and executed perfectly. There were two teams and one won and the other lost. I don't think the C's thought Fall alone would be enough to prevent a shot. Add in that the pandemic rules gave more spacing which partially negated the advantage of Fall, and Fall did a good job of both being a large object as well as a distracting one.

Last edited: