• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Updated depth chart

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why did Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne switch CB spots?

The Dallas Morning News

Dallas Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne (far right) runs a drill with fellow cornerbacks Orlando Scandrick and Brandon Carr during practice Wednesday, September 24, 2014 at their Valley Ranch facility in Irving, Texas. (G.J. McCarthy/The Dallas Morning News)

By Jon Machota, Staff Writer Contact Jon Machotaon Twitter>:(jonmachota

IRVING -- No NFC team finished with fewer interceptions than the Cowboys last season. And of the eight picks they recorded, only five came from defensive backs. None were caught by Brandon Carr or Morris Claiborne.

But there were some positive signs during Wednesday's organized team activities at Valley Ranch. Carr intercepted a Tony Romo deep ball intended for Brice Butler. Claiborne got his hands on a couple of passes, including one well-placed ball Romo intended for Terrance Williams that Claiborne knocked to the ground.

Through three weeks of OTAs, Carr has been lining up at right cornerback and Claiborne has been at left corner. Defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said the switch is not permanent, but it's an interesting move considering Carr has played on the left side the last four seasons.

"I like the right side," Carr said. "I used to play right corner prior to coming here. I just felt like switching."

The left corner generally defends the other team's top receiver. Most quarterbacks are right-handed, so they are facing the left side when they drop back.

"I felt like he's at a point right now in his career that he can benefit playing on that left side and he can make some plays over there," Carr said of Claiborne.

"However, it happens, I feel like I'm prepared to go play inside, outside, left corner, right corner," Claiborne said. "It doesn't matter."

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting switch. Can't see a downside to trying it. I'm guessing this is a precursor to Scandrick coming back. Moving Carr probably a good idea, but it's not like Offenses won't just go to the weak spot if he proves to be it again.

I feel like I've said this and been burnt before, but I still think there is a player in Mo. I pray for a completely healthy year so we can see once and for all what we have in him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Scandrick and Mo as the starting corners this year with Carr coming in for the nickel. Regardless, a healthy Scandrick and better safety play makes the other two much better. Throw in a pass rush and who knows...maybe we end the year thinking the group is no longer a weakness

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Mo still a little confident...maybe overconfident with the Pro Bowl talk:L
I have said his injuries have been a huge poart of what has held him back (down to 150lbs???). But at some point you need to either produce in spite of them or find a way to stay healthy. This is the year for both Mo and Carr to prove they are worth keeping around.

Morris Claiborne is tired of talking about his recovery; 'I have some high goals this year'
This Story is About...
Twitter
  • Email
FILE - In this Oct. 25, 2015, file photo, Dallas Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne runs against the New York Giants during an NFL game in East Rutherford, N.J. A person with knowledge of the deal says Dallas is bringing back Claiborne on a one-year deal after the Cowboys declined the more expensive option on the former top 10 pick's rookie contract. (AP Photo/Brad Penner, File)

By Jon Machota, Staff Writer Contact Jon Machotaon Twitter>:(jonmachota

IRVING -- Cowboys cornerback Morris Claiborne is tired of the same questions he gets every time he meets with reporters.

Instead of being asked about bouncing back from the latest injury, the Cowboys' 2012 first-round pick wants to field questions about big accomplishments.

But Claiborne, who signed a one-year deal in March to remain in Dallas, understands he must stay healthy and produce for things to change.

"I'm ready to change it," Claiborne said. "When you all come talk to me, I want you to say, 'Oh, that was a nice [interception]' or you made this play. 'How does it feel to be going to the Pro Bowl? How does it feel to be going to a Super Bowl?' Those are the questions I want.

"I'm ready to take on that task. I know the coaches expect a lot from me. I expect a lot from myself, nothing less. I have some high goals this year and I'm trying to reach them. I'm going to do whatever it takes to get there."

Claiborne says if not for the numerous injuries, he believes he'd already have performed at an elite level.

He has looked good during organized team activities, working with the first-team defense at left outside corner. The former LSU standout got his hands on a couple of passes Wednesday, cleanly knocking one Tony Romo toss away from Terrance Williams.

Claiborne said he's stronger than ever. He's up to around 190 pounds, quite the difference from the 150 pounds he weighed two years ago while recovering from multiple knee surgeries.

"All my clothes got too big, my neck was all skinny," he said. "I looked like this microphone."

At that time, Claiborne was struggling to bench 225 pounds. Now, he can put up 225 pounds 11 times.

"He looks good," Cowboys cornerback Brandon Carr said. "He looks confident. He looks smooth out there. He has an extra edge to him this year. He's really honing in on that left side right now. I'm excited for him."

Manster7588

I Support Law Enforcement.
Hoopla Cash
$ 920.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it helps the D make that switch, the thing that stood out to me was Romo throwing ints to these two. If Carr and MO can defend against Romo this offense is screwed.

ArlingtonCowboys100

Goodell is a polesmoker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a feeling that this defense is going to be doing well by mid season. Gregory should be improved. The guys coming back from injury. The secondary possibly being adequate. Tapper and Collins bring talent youth and some nastiness as they both like to destroy qbs. Thornton is the run stopper this team has needed for years. If the team stays healthy they will run away with this division.

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it helps the D make that switch, the thing that stood out to me was Romo throwing ints to these two. If Carr and MO can defend against Romo this offense is screwed.

D always has an edge early in the offseason. Lets see that happen at the end of camp.

Both Carr and Mo have sucked for us for several years now and that shit needs to change.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
D always has an edge early in the offseason. Lets see that happen at the end of camp.

Both Carr and Mo have sucked for us for several years now and that shit needs to change.
No doubt. As things look today we need both to play well because you really have 3 starting corners in the NFL today. But, if just one of the two steps up and Jones becomes a true center fielder that we need (especially now that we have been playing more single high than cover two) we will be fine with health. Maybe competition for their jobs this year brings out the best in them. One thing about corner and that is if you don't have safety help and you don't have a pass rush you need to be Darell Revis to not look shitty from time to time. So hopefully the rest of the team can make their jobs a little easier. I for one (as foolish as it sounds) still think Mo can be a good player. I was all for cutting Carr and signing one of the other FA CBs, but he is here now and we need him to play better than last year. He doesn't have to be great. If he plays like he did his first year here it will be huge for us. It would be nice to have his size to play against some of the bigger WRs. Interesting that in KC he was the #2 guy and played on the right side and was very good. Seems that is what he will likely be asked to do this year, so:hope:.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys
  • In Todd Archer’s 53-man roster projection, the Cowboys keep three running backs with Lance Dunbar heading to the PUP list and sixth-round pick Darius Jackson being the odd-man out.
  • Archer has the Cowboys keeping four tight ends, not including sixth-rounder Rico Gathers.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cowboys
  • In Todd Archer’s 53-man roster projection, the Cowboys keep three running backs with Lance Dunbar heading to the PUP list and sixth-round pick Darius Jackson being the odd-man out.
  • Archer has the Cowboys keeping four tight ends, not including sixth-rounder Rico Gathers.
Still think Gathers will come down with an invisible injury that will sideline him for the year (redshirt).

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Still think Gathers will come down with an invisible injury that will sideline him for the year (redshirt).
As we sit here today, seems a perfectly safe practice squad stash, right? What team is going to put him on the 53 man roster?

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As we sit here today, seems a perfectly safe practice squad stash, right? What team is going to put him on the 53 man roster?
Teams with no real 3rd TE. Since we went the route we did, it sure makes more sense to protect our small investment than to let him walk. Especially if after we've seen him up close we are convinced he is the next great Dallas TE. If opinion/expectations drop during camp/preseason because he's not seen as that guy, then try to stash him on PS.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Teams with no real 3rd TE. Since we went the route we did, it sure makes more sense to protect our small investment than to let him walk. Especially if after we've seen him up close we are convinced he is the next great Dallas TE. If opinion/expectations drop during camp/preseason because he's not seen as that guy, then try to stash him on PS.
Drop??? You are setting your sites way too high IMO. While of course possible, the odds of him making the opening 53 are probably pretty slim. Could it happen??? Of course, but the above seems to assume he is "in" at this point and I'd be shocked if the team was expecting that as of now. Of course if he sets the world on fire he'll make it and we'll all be happy, but let's not put the cart before the horse. To me if he even makes the practice squad after never playing football that would be a great sign for his future and prove the pick was a wise one.

DALLAScornhusker

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drop??? You are setting your sites way too high IMO. While of course possible, the odds of him making the opening 53 are probably pretty slim. Could it happen??? Of course, but the above seems to assume he is "in" at this point and I'd be shocked if the team was expecting that as of now. Of course if he sets the world on fire he'll make it and we'll all be happy, but let's not put the cart before the horse. To me if he even makes the practice squad after never playing football that would be a great sign for his future and prove the pick was a wise one.

Whoa, whoa whoa, its not my expectation. I haven't a clue if this kid can transition to college football, let alone at a professional level.

I am saying someone saw something in this former basketball player to draft him in the 6th round! Each year we draft a new TE with the intent to find the next star TE. Each year the search continues, and most likely will not stop until we find the one. It doesn't appear to me that it has tempered their expectation after each swing and miss. Now, they've circled Gathers' name - straight off the hardwood. Right now, all we can do is hope. Hope that he can overcome not playing since forever ago and become what someone saw in him. But the FO doesn't see it that way. They don't pay scouts, coaches and draft players based off hope, least they better not. The in-house expectations probably vary from person to person. But like I said, someone wanted this guy and expects good things from him on a team that already carries 4 TEs, all of whom could make the 53.

To me and you, its more wishful thinking. Feels like a waste of a 6th round draft pick because he is certainly up against time to figure it all out and beat someone out for a job. Yes, he could do it and he certainly has physical traits to carry him a ways. I absolutely think he'd make the PS, to me that isn't even a question. The question I have is about someone stealing him away before he gets there. A team with a weak roster that can handle adding a 4th TE just to have a look at where he is in his development. If that is the case, we swung and missed again.

jarntt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my bad. was just going off this statement:

"If opinion/expectations drop during camp/preseason because he's not seen as that guy, then try to stash him on PS."