• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Hot 'Stros to cool their heels in Arlington 6/6 to 6/9

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is your best post ever. You have nailed the Astros organization perfectly. It's an organization that believes heavily in sabermetrics, but they use it poorly and only focus on data points that support their argument and ignore any that do not. Texas is not due for regression...they turned into a more consistent team and their pythag will eventually catch up.

I would say that with MM out of the lineup two nights in a row @Nightcrawler is on his best game. :)

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We just need to not have Mitch or Prince on the roster and all is well. Platoon Gallo and Beltre at 3B, Elvis at SS, Odor at 2nd, and Profar at 1st. Hopefully we can afford to keep Desmond and our OF looks like Brinson/Desmond/Mazara/Rua. Starting rotation is Hamels/Yu/Holland/Martin/???...and that is a lineup for the next 3 seasons in my dream world.

Desmond won't be back, they are hopefully done giving 30+ OFers long terms deals, which is what Desmond will want, its not the money its the years that he'll be blocking a up and comer for years to come which is the problem we have with Choo and Fielder now, which then it becomes an issue of feeling like you have to play the money instead of the more talented player

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love our J2 signings...that's where we do our best work. Our international guys know how to pick em and it's quite obvious. If they ever do an international draft I will be a little mad, because Texas is so damn good at signing these guys and using them as chips down the road if need be.

Agreed we excel at finding these guys and not necessarily breaking the bank to do so, far better than we are at the amateur draft anyway and we haven't been terrible at that even, not since the Hicks days anyway

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed we excel at finding these guys and not necessarily breaking the bank to do so, far better than we are at the amateur draft anyway and we haven't been terrible at that even, not since the Hicks days anyway

I thought we picked up some really nice pieces in last year's draft.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Desmond won't be back, they are hopefully done giving 30+ OFers long terms deals, which is what Desmond will want, its not the money its the years that he'll be blocking a up and comer for years to come which is the problem we have with Choo and Fielder now, which then it becomes an issue of feeling like you have to play the money instead of the more talented player
It's been said a lot, but you put it well. We will offer the QO and he will decline. I probably wouldn't be mad if he accepted though. 1 year at 16 million isn't a bad deal for the way he's been playing. I just hope he leaves the AL West. Unless Houston signs him and he immediately sucks. That would be funny.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love our J2 signings...that's where we do our best work. Our international guys know how to pick em and it's quite obvious. If they ever do an international draft I will be a little mad, because Texas is so damn good at signing these guys and using them as chips down the road if need be.

I understand..... I'm so grateful to be a fan of 2 teams who excel at finding talent regardless of draft position and arguably find their best talent at the international level. I can't imagine being a fan of a team with an incompetent front office, it must be frustrating.

True Rangers Fan

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off topic, but Yordano Ventura may actually be more disliked than Bautista. Royals fans aren't even defending him.

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Off topic, but Yordano Ventura may actually be more disliked than Bautista. Royals fans aren't even defending him.

That fight / brawl was pussy shit compared to Jays vs Rangers

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand..... I'm so grateful to be a fan of 2 teams who excel at finding talent regardless of draft position and arguably find their best talent at the international level. I can't imagine being a fan of a team with an incompetent front office, it must be frustrating.
Dammit I do admire the Spurs front office despite how much I hate them...feel the same about the patriots...fuck I feel dirty

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's been said a lot, but you put it well. We will offer the QO and he will decline. I probably wouldn't be mad if he accepted though. 1 year at 16 million isn't a bad deal for the way he's been playing. I just hope he leaves the AL West. Unless Houston signs him and he immediately sucks. That would be funny.

For sure, I'd TOTALLY take him back on a 1 year deal b/c that's how long I think before Brinson/Cordell are truly ready to take over, but I could handle a year of either of them in the 8-9 hole versus giving Desmond a 3+ year deal

PhantomWarrior

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We both sport the Dallas Cowboys below our avatar. Just saying....

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aside from taking a running back with the fourth overall pick. :L

I don't think it was their best move, but I don't think it falls in the realm of incompetent

The only thing that bothered me about that was the rationale by the so called "experts", "A good running game will help Romo" ummmm, you could stick just about anyone behind that line and have a good running game... see Darren McFadden

If the rationale was McFadden can't stay healthy then that made more sense, but all the reasons they gave for selecting Elliott were things that McFadden did the year before

The Cowboys, with that line, could have an effective running game by constantly signing the Alfred Morris' of the world, year in and year out

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to have Desmond back short term but you are right in it not being a good fit long term unless Choo was dealt.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ventura has had issues multiple times with other teams. When things do not go his way he turns into a Padilla.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love to have Desmond back short term but you are right in it not being a good fit long term unless Choo was dealt.

I'd make that exchange, if Desmond didn't sign anything more than about 3 years, I'm done with 5+ year contracts for 30+ players

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ventura has had issues multiple times with other teams. When things do not go his way he turns into a Padilla.

Except Padilla was actually intimidating, not in a fighting sense per say, but in a "I'll find where you live and put your family in barrels of acid" scary

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Except Padilla was actually intimidating, not in a fighting sense per say, but in a "I'll find where you live and put your family in barrels of acid" scary
HA! That cracked me up. I know exactly what you meant by that.