• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Horrid Halos Head to Hollandless Texas

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rougned, Mitch, and Prince should be hitting 1-2-3 right now.

What is the earliest in a season a hitting coach has been fired?

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Am wondering if reason we are seeing Pegs in CF is to see if he can cover the position as Martin's backup ... helps TEX decide if DeShields is actually needed.

The test ought to be ... pretend it is 2016 and TEX carried DeShields entire 2015 season ... would he make the team out of camp?

The way I see it a R5 guy has to be smoking through camp and tearing things up soon as the regular season starts. If he's not a standout ... then he's taking play away from someone who ought to be on the roster. There is a reason HOU didn't protect him.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am wondering if reason we are seeing Pegs in CF is to see if he can cover the position as Martin's backup ... helps TEX decide if DeShields is actually needed.

The test ought to be ... pretend it is 2016 and TEX carried DeShields entire 2015 season ... would he make the team out of camp?

The way I see it a R5 guy has to be smoking through camp and tearing things up soon as the regular season starts. If he's not a standout ... then he's taking play away from someone who ought to be on the roster. There is a reason HOU didn't protect him.

Can you trade a R5 guy for another R5 guy? How about Deshields for Odubel?

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All those highlights of Santiago were the Rangers swinging at pitches out of the zone? :gaah:

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I were not already under the weather I would be after that ebola exposure

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All those highlights of Santiago were the Rangers swinging at pitches out of the zone? :gaah:

And here is Dave Magadan reviewing the game footage:

hqdefault.jpg

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a crazy first 10 games to this season. Admittedly haven't seen it as much as I'd like due to work and scheduling but man it just seems bizarre the way these games are playing out.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Can you trade a R5 guy for another R5 guy? How about Deshields for Odubel?

Am sure you can but why would PHL make that deal? Herrera has 5GS in CF ... a position that DeShields has yet to play. After watching Peguera play three OF positions ... he makes plays. Batting ... he reminds you of a Nellie Cruz just up from OKC. He is more likely a CF b/up than the R5 guy.

DeShields poor routes, poor glovework for an OFer (which should be better for a converted 2bman) ... errors on the base path ... and his opinion that now that I am a COF I am a slugger. There is very good reason why HOU didn't protect him.

DeShields does not project to be a key piece in 2016 ... means TEX is wasting time on him in 2015.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am sure you can but why would PHL make that deal? Herrera has 5GS in CF ... a position that DeShields has yet to play. After watching Peguera play three OF positions ... he makes plays. Batting ... he reminds you of a Nellie Cruz just up from OKC. He is more likely a CF b/up than the R5 guy.

DeShields poor routes, poor glovework for an OFer (which should be better for a converted 2bman) ... errors on the base path ... and his opinion that now that I am a COF I am a slugger. There is very good reason why HOU didn't protect him.

DeShields does not project to be a key piece in 2016 ... means TEX is wasting time on him in 2015.

He is taking up a roster spot that could be used by someone who we may really need in the future and could gain valuable playing time at the major league level. Cut him loose.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have not gotten all over Andrus like some but today was really disappointing. As far as I am concerned he should have 2 errors. He just seemed to play like he could care less if he got to the ball or not. And Deshields should have had an error for allowing Pujols to score after Beltre fanned on a grounder which was a little tougher but it reminded me of the MY ole' play.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We sure have a lot of guys hitting under .200.

It's still too early to judge batting averages. But based on approach and discipline, as well as last year, I have no faith in the teachings of Magadan.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I have not gotten all over Andrus like some but today was really disappointing. As far as I am concerned he should have 2 errors. He just seemed to play like he could care less if he got to the ball or not. And Deshields should have had an error for allowing Pujols to score after Beltre fanned on a grounder which was a little tougher but it reminded me of the MY ole' play.

TEX lack of a strong MIF UIF has resulted in Rougned Odor elevating his game to show the decision to put him in the starting 2b role to be a good one. Conversely, Elvis sloughs off when he sees the fact that their isn't a UIF capable of day in and day out play at SS behind him.

Elvis HR last night was his 'Kinsler like' upper cut which we can count on being replicated once a season. And then when Emily Jones tries to pimp Prince Fielder about Elvis having 1 more HR than he has ... Prince should have responded that Elvis has more errors in the field than he does too.

He may get Fri night off in SEA if TEX is smart ... which would be two days given the off day tomorrow.

Elvis is playing for a new manager and is trying to see how much rope there is ... or he's injured.

If I am TEX I think his knee is really affecting his play in the field ... and I put him on the 15Day DL today and take Hanser Alberto to SEA.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is taking up a roster spot that could be used by someone who we may really need in the future and could gain valuable playing time at the major league level. Cut him loose.

Well maybe. Fact is, we're gonna be horrid this season, no matter who plays where and for that matter, how well. We're just not set up to have anything close to a .500 season.

However, there should be no rush to bag DeShields IMO. Honestly, I didn't want him here to begin with. But now that he is, let's see what we have. Probably nothing, which is exactly what he cost. But for today, we've played all of 10 games and he is definitely not standing in the way of evaluating anyone or standing in the way of us promoting someone else.

We've got a ENTIRE SEASON to play, "Who Wants/Can Play" with time to spare. Unless DeShields does something off-the-field/locker-room, just go with the flow for a few weeks. No rush.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Well maybe. Fact is, we're gonna be horrid this season, no matter who plays where and for that matter, how well. We're just not set up to have anything close to a .500 season.

However, there should be no rush to bag DeShields IMO. Honestly, I didn't want him here to begin with. But now that he is, let's see what we have. Probably nothing, which is exactly what he cost. But for today, we've played all of 10 games and he is definitely not standing in the way of evaluating anyone or standing in the way of us promoting someone else.

We've got a ENTIRE SEASON to play, "Who Wants/Can Play" with time to spare. Unless DeShields does something off-the-field/locker-room, just go with the flow for a few weeks. No rush.

Well actually he is standing in someone's place. Because he's on the roster TEX had to pick Rosales as the best 4 position UIF instead of carrying an extra power 3b option and conventional MIF UIF.

Any player who isn't part of the 2016 plan ought to not be here. Fans aren't going to pay for crap like that we watched today.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Rule 5 players need to take the field by storm to show why they need to be on the roster.

Darren O'Day was a Rule 5 draftee picked up when NYM waived him after they took him from LAA in the Rule 5. O'Day pitched 55 innings with a 1.94ERA for TEX that year.

DeShields is not of that mold. From his play so far I think Elvis is his mentor.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well actually he is standing in someone's place. Because he's on the roster TEX had to pick Rosales as the best 4 position UIF instead of carrying an extra power 3b option and conventional MIF UIF.

Any player who isn't part of the 2016 plan ought to not be here. Fans aren't going to pay for crap like that we watched today.

Honestly think you're over-estimating the negatives of this situation. Who exactly is it you're advocating us having here now after 6.7% of the season has been played which DeShields is depriving?

I suspect management is thinking fairly close to what you are. After all we're all watching the same things. But when you've only played 11 games 2015, no one is even close to 100% about who's in/out for 2016. And it's too early to give up on much of anything, IMO anyway.

The FO is willing to experiment for now, at an absolutely low cost option. It's just not anything to be worried about for another few weeks anyway.