• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Horrid Halos Head to Hollandless Texas

Godstree

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure don't know what to say other than we suck. I don't watch games because of my location but I keep up with most games via scorecard on the phone app. and we just suck. I hope we can turn it around but we really don't have much in the way of pitching and our hitting hasn't really been there either.

/rant over/

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has been very disappointing. If he struggles much longer it might be time to consider him for the bullpen.

I would not want to be too quick on that. Maybe have him go back to AA and see how it goes there. Maybe he can get it going again.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure don't know what to say other than we suck. I don't watch games because of my location but I keep up with most games via scorecard on the phone app. and we just suck. I hope we can turn it around but we really don't have much in the way of pitching and our hitting hasn't really been there either.

/rant over/

True enough. This season is all about next season. That's unfortunate, but I think this is where we're at.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would not want to be too quick on that. Maybe have him go back to AA and see how it goes there. Maybe he can get it going again.

I'm with ya. Starters are hard to find, and he was showing so much promise until last season. But it appears, something has gone on with him, and not for the best.

But I kind of like the idea of dropping back to AA, and let him get his head back together. It that's the problem.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True enough. This season is all about next season. That's unfortunate, but I think this is where we're at.

I can't remember where I read it, but in the past few days I read something that served as a reminder that JD constructed this rotation to have a front 4 of Darvish, Harrison, Holland, and Perez. Those 4 never pitched together in 2014 and won't in 2015 either (and 2016 is a huge "maybe" under the absolute best case scenario).

So yeah, 2016 is the year all these plans hopefully - finally - align and come together.

(edit: plans meaning a rotation that includes pieces that were intended to be pieces, not specifically the four I mentioned).

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember where I read it, but in the past few days I read something that served as a reminder that JD constructed this rotation to have a front 4 of Darvish, Harrison, Holland, and Perez. Those 4 never pitched together in 2014 and won't in 2015 either (and 2016 is a huge "maybe" under the absolute best case scenario).

So yeah, 2016 is the year all these plans hopefully - finally - align and come together.

Lots of injury unknowns still, I'm not so sure the team competes again until 2017. I hate trying to predict a couple years out, because there are too many things that factor into each year that could affect the outcomes both positively or could be opportunities again. If Gallo comes up and is successful, he becomes just one power bat in a lineup with no real power. Beltre will be himself, Prince seems to be a singles, doubles guy and then MM is the only other bat I see that could provide 25+ hr's. While the pitching is an issue now and injuries have piled up, the offense is just as suspect with the thoughts of Joey, Mazara and Alfaro still to be determined for the future and their ETA's.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lots of injury unknowns still, I'm not so sure the team competes again until 2017. I hate trying to predict a couple years out, because there are too many things that factor into each year that could affect the outcomes both positively or could be opportunities again. If Gallo comes up and is successful, he becomes just one power bat in a lineup with no real power. Beltre will be himself, Prince seems to be a singles, doubles guy and then MM is the only other bat I see that could provide 25+ hr's. While the pitching is an issue now and injuries have piled up, the offense is just as suspect with the thoughts of Joey, Mazara and Alfaro still to be determined for the future and their ETA's.

I see it so often here from so many. Beltre will be himself (meaning, excellent bat I'm assuming). And I hope you, and everyone else is correct. But at some point - he'll be 37 early next season - he's not going to be as productive as what we've grown accustomed too.

But then again, maybe he'll be the next Julio Franco. That guy hit 18 HRs when he was in his 20th year of MLB service.

Perhaps it's just me, but I think Prince is going to come around with his power. I'm trying to keep reminded myself he missed most of last season, and the fact he's hitting the ball hard early in the year may bode well for him, power wise, as the season progresses. Don't think he'll ever be considered a true power man again. But certainly 25 should be doable.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Glad both Texas and the fans get a night off haha.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have been pointing to 2017 for about a year and a half now. I just don't see us competing for a WS until we replenish our pitching with health and a couple of prospects and we replenish our offense with prospects and maybe one more good hitting free agent. That can only occur if those prospects get enough time in the big leagues before 2017 to get acclimated to the big leagues. I think we can be a good team in 2016, but I don't see us making any noise in the postseason before 2017. Then again, I had been pointing to 2011 a few years back and the team surprised me and went a year earlier.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I see it so often here from so many. Beltre will be himself (meaning, excellent bat I'm assuming). And I hope you, and everyone else is correct. But at some point - he'll be 37 early next season - he's not going to be as productive as what we've grown accustomed too.

Father Time is undefeated, as they say.

Perhaps it's just me, but I think Prince is going to come around with his power. I'm trying to keep reminded myself he missed most of last season, and the fact he's hitting the ball hard early in the year may bode well for him, power wise, as the season progresses. Don't think he'll ever be considered a true power man again. But certainly 25 should be doable.

Would you accept a trade of power for average? For example, Prince hits 18 HR but has a .325 average?

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That sounds like a plan. I wouldn't mind them sending him down to AA now. Once he get several good starts in down there then try him in Round Rock again.

saddles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Alfaro is due to play tonight after missing a few games with a leg injury. That is very good to hear.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Father Time is undefeated, as they say.

Sad but true. But like I said - hopefully so - maybe he'll be Julio Franco. And I'm not kidding at all. Honestly, watching the way AB approaches the game, he may surprise me.

Would you accept a trade of power for average? For example, Prince hits 18 HR but has a .325 average?

Yes. But since he's hit over .300 once in his professional career (2012), that's some rather large "wishful thinking."

And this is why I would say yes. I went into the season thinking if we got .285 with 25 HR, and 105 RBI from Prince, that would be very acceptable. So I'm assuming his avg. rising 40 pts would still get us the 105 RBI, and really give Choo/MM etc a chance to show their stuff. If they have any.
:noidea:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, these off nights really suck.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
YEP. At least you can wet a hook

The wind is blowing 35 miles an hour from the E. Not a chance sir. haha

Luckily, I got to go this morning. Caught a nice crappie, and 16 bass (biggest about 4 lb).

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This from Bowden regarding 10 players most likely to be traded. Coming in at # 5........

5. Adrian Beltre, 3B, Texas Rangers

Beltre will eventually go into the Hall of Fame as a Texas Ranger, but there is no reason he has to finish his career with them. Beltre is signed through 2016, so if he's traded, the team acquiring him will get him for this year and next, which increases his trade value. The Rangers hope that by August, rookie third baseman Joey Gallo is healed enough from his early April foot surgery to take over third base if Beltre is traded. Beltre is still one of the game’s best defensive third basemen but will need to prove his power can return to the 25- to 30-homer range between now and July for the Rangers to get a significant prospect package in return.