• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Horrid Halos Head to Hollandless Texas

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Execution is the player's job ... but the strategy of the AB and situation hitting have to improve. Cant have the guys tied up with a dozen things to think about ... which is why TEX needs to put MY in charge.
I would eventually welcome MY into that role, but only when he's ready to do so. I don't know if he's had enough time away from the game for that yet.

BULLPEN FAILURE

2023 World Series Champions
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Banister already on record as noticing flaws in the AB approaches.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole, "let's put MY in charge" and letting him be our hitting instructor seems a little like pie-in-the-sky to me.

I'd much rather see us go get a guy who has a track record of success - yes, I know Mags had one (to an extent anyway) - with another team/teams and go with it. At least someone who had done it for a job at some level of professional baseball.

I admired Young's patience and thought process when batting. But let me ask you, do you see anything from EA/Martin which says patience and thinking?

For my money, take the thinking outta the ABs for both of them for the time being, make the decisions for them, and see if they can just concentrate on executing the coaches decision.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This whole, "let's put MY in charge" and letting him be our hitting instructor seems a little like pie-in-the-sky to me.

I'd much rather see us go get a guy who has a track record of success - yes, I know Mags had one (to an extent anyway) - with another team/teams and go with it. At least someone who had done it for a job at some level of professional baseball.

I admired Young's patience and thought process when batting. But let me ask you, do you see anything from EA/Martin which says patience and thinking?

For my money, take the thinking outta the ABs for both of them for the time being, make the decisions for them, and see if they can just concentrate on executing the coaches decision.

I want to see him work guys in the minors first and then go from there. I would like to see the inside swing he had for so many years taught to other players. It helped DeRosa get paid. It would help others do the same.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Banny talks a big game about holding people accountable. I just hope he backs it up with action.

Exactly. I love the things he has to say. Time will tell if it's just talk. I have a hunch it isn't.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. I love the things he has to say. Time will tell if it's just talk. I have a hunch it isn't.

It's certainly better than the philosophy of the previous regime... "Our approach is just fine. We've been successful before and we will be again. Just gotta keep at it."

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we - you and I particularly - wore this subject out in yesterday's game.

And I'm viewing Martin and EA a little differently. EA is in, what, his 8th season, and is playing like a rookie. And a piss poor rookie at that. I'd have a come to Jesus meeting with him and tell him the cold hard baseball facts, and sitting him/platooning him is an option.

With Martin, I'd like to see us try taking some of the "thinking burden" off his shoulders, and see what happens there. Meaning, he'd have to look to 3rd base or in the dugout on each pitch to see what we want to do next. Then react after a few games.

You can have all the meetings you want with Elvis. This is what he is. He has plateaued as a player. He'll get hot at some point and bring his avg up to his norm.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think MY is interested in a job that requires him to travel with the team on every road trip. That is what he was looking to get away from when he retired.

BULLPEN FAILURE

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think MY is interested in a job that requires him to travel with the team on every road trip. That is what he was looking to get away from when he retired.

I'm not really high on the idea of Michael Young-as-hitting instructor, to be honest. Totally done with Magadan, though.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You can have all the meetings you want with Elvis. This is what he is. He has plateaued as a player. He'll get hot at some point and bring his avg up to his norm.
Sounds like you don't think Elvis won't or can't get better than his norm. Interesting.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really high on the idea of Michael Young-as-hitting instructor, to be honest. Totally done with Magadan, though.
Agree. Leo and Elvis should not still be struggling after being students of Magadan for a couple years or longer.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Leo and Elvis should not still be struggling after being students of Magadan for a couple years or longer.

Leo really seemed to put it together last season, but his approach so far this season is baffling.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We have a season to see what we have with these hitters. I would have liked to have had a different hitting coach this year to make sure it is entirely on the hitters though. If Magadan could have just found another team to take him off of our hands. Oh well.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sounds like you don't think Elvis won't or can't get better than his norm. Interesting.

Sure hope he's wrong.

I can't imagine that a guy who showed such promise and growth early in his career - early for him was when he was a mere youngster too - has just fallen over dead. It all indicates to me the problem is between his ears.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He hasn't plateaued, he's regressed. And that's what's so alarming.

Justinkm83

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I don't. It's possible, but what has he done in the past to make you think he will? His numbers are similar for his whole career.

It's not like this is the first time I've mentioned my stance on EA. He has been frustrating me for a long time. I'll admit I thought that the contract would turn into a good one when he first signed it. It wasn't long before I changed my mind.

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
He hasn't plateaued, he's regressed. And that's what's so alarming.

... or he's got an injury he's carrying.

What's strange is TEX went through the big deal effort to find a backup CFer ... yet has kept Rosales away from the MIF during camp. Odor has staked a claim to 2b and has used it to elevate his game. Conversely, maybe Elvis realizes TEX doesn't have an option and has regressed ... especially defensively which was always his strength.

TEX chose to carry five OFers to protect DeShields but needed a UIF who could play 3b. Rosales was the best option but is weak in MIF. So TEX was 'going without a net' in the middle in order to carry DeShields. DeShields has to stay ... but to bring up a true a MIF backup means Smolinski or Peguera have to go back down.

Or Andrus owns up to the apparent injury he's carrying and goes on the DL. Gives him opportunity to rehab and get himself back on speed. While he's gone Hanser Alberto is bound to be hungrier. And its not like he would be a negative offensively to what TEX is getting from Elvis right now.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't. It's possible, but what has he done in the past to make you think he will? His numbers are similar for his whole career.

It's not like this is the first time I've mentioned my stance on EA. He has been frustrating me for a long time. I'll admit I thought that the contract would turn into a good one when he first signed it. It wasn't long before I changed my mind.

$13 million a year for a .270 hitter, with no power, and now plays an average SS is a horrible contract. Then or now.

I thought when we signed him, he'd grow into a .280+ type hitter, consistent gap power (doubles), clutch hitter, a top-tier SS, and great teammate. So far I think I've got the teammate part right.

But for what we're financially committed too, vs his value, it's embarrassingly and outrageously upside down.