• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: Holland, Rangers travel to Cincinnati for short series 8/23-8/24

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Profar is gassed then Gomez if only a marginal upgrade is fine. I think they are hoping he is a fallback if Des does not reup. The taking away of youngster ABs at this point I am not concerned about. If he is useless then let's launch him. I wonder if he has had a wake up call that alerts him that he needs to make changes. I am hoping that is the case

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The downside in my mind is a hole in the lineups for most nights for 3 weeks or so. His salary is chump change to a big league club.

Agreed.....I'm sorta looking at it like a mini-Josh Hamilton deal.

But you're downside position is damn near what we're doing already isn't it?

Last edited:

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Profar is gassed then Gomez if only a marginal upgrade is fine. I think they are hoping he is a fallback if Des does not reup. The taking away of youngster ABs at this point I am not concerned about. If he is useless then let's launch him. I wonder if he has had a wake up call that alerts him that he needs to make changes. I am hoping that is the case

First, I don't think this has squat to do with our overall view other than 2016. It has absolutely nothing to do with Desmond.

But, I don't feel Rua was given a fair shot. He was lights out early in the season, when Desmond wasn't and yet, he still got little playing time. To me, he's a capable platoon/utility player. But no one thrives when they sit for 3-5 games, then play 2, etc.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed.....I'm sorta looking at it like a mini-Josh Hamilton deal.

But you're downside position is damn near what we're doing already isn't it?
I have heard the Hamilton deal compared to this before and I don't get it. Josh hit .263 the year before. Gomez hit .210 this year. Josh was also coming from a situation where management disliked him a lot so we was bound to rebound to some degree.

I think what we have has more potential to turn it around than Gomez does, but then that's just me. Gomez may come in here and hit .260 with 5 HRs the rest of the way.

Kelleyman

Rebuild done....It all starts with pitching
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I don't think this has squat to do with our overall view other than 2016. It has absolutely nothing to do with Desmond.

But, I don't feel Rua was given a fair shot. He was lights out early in the season, when Desmond wasn't and yet, he still got little playing time. To me, he's a capable platoon/utility player. But no one thrives when they sit for 3-5 games, then play 2, etc.

JD IMO thinks about present and future. I am probably one of the biggest Profsr fans on e board going back years to ESPN board but regardless of him being jerked around position to position he has not produced 2nd half.

So I respectfully disagree, hopes are Gomez recreates himself and at this point of his career he has more raw talent than Josh due to aging factor. It has been mentioned prior to released that Gomez was a potential reclamation project. Bennie's beef is he thinks the young guys may have a better shot of turning it around than Gomez. That may be true but as of now Gomez is signed only to a minor league contract. He has been promised a starting job but to me that is rhetoric. If he performs we keep him, if not cut him loose or keep him as a minor plattoon piece waiting on him to perform. All about the upside and yes this does have something to do about this year and maybe next year too. Has to be in the back of FO minds

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So much talk over a dude who might not even make the post season roster...

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ahhh OK.

Did it seem like either one of us what not trusting the process/mgmt or what?

And as I posted yesterday, I believe it's costing us less than $3K per game to see what's in his tank, and in today's world of baseball salaries, that's chump-change.
Reminds me a little of the Hamilton situation on taking a chance with him.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not for me to say but I think it's a little soon however, what we have been putting out there hasn't been my choice either. ( Stubbs/Delino)
Technically there has been more than Stubbs and DDJ out there. Profar has been out there plenty.

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have heard the Hamilton deal compared to this before and I don't get it. Josh hit .263 the year before. Gomez hit .210 this year. Josh was also coming from a situation where management disliked him a lot so we was bound to rebound to some degree.

I think what we have has more potential to turn it around than Gomez does, but then that's just me. Gomez may come in here and hit .260 with 5 HRs the rest of the way.
Comparable in terms of the other team is paying for most of his salary so the risk is diminished greatly.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Technically there has been more than Stubbs and DDJ out there. Profar has been out there plenty.
True but Profar won't be displaced by Gomez where one of the others will if not both. Profar will be kept as utility man and still sub in left field if needed. We'll have to wait and see how it falls out.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Comparable in terms of the other team is paying for most of his salary so the risk is diminished greatly.
I guess I am the only one not considering the money a factor in this. The only thing I am concerned with is putting the best 9 guys on the field. Maybe we will find the magic ingredient that allows us to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. Given how long he has struggled it will take some magic I think. At least he is hitting in AAA.

Duane1952

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gomez is 3-4 with a triple and 2 RBI's so far tonight.

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not really the right thread for it, but it's an off day, so...

Did you guys see or hear about the fight between Billy Butler and Danny Valencia? The story goes that Butler interrupted Valencia and an equipment rep talking in the clubhouse. Butler said something to the effect that Valencia's spikes were in breach of his contract and that the equipment company should terminate his endorsement deal. So after the rep left, Valencia angrily confronted Butler and told him ever to do that again. So Butler responds with "I can say what I want and there's nothing your bitch ass is going to do about it." So Valencia punched him square in the temple with a right hook. Butler now has a concussion and severe nausea and vomiting and is on the DL.

Stephen Vogt said it was no big deal and that it happens in every clubhouse all the time. Um, no Stephen. No it doesn't.

Bmurph

F the Houston Astros
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Did you guys see or hear about the fight between Billy Butler and Danny Valencia? The story goes that Butler interrupted Valencia and an equipment rep talking in the clubhouse. Butler said something to the effect that Valencia's spikes were in breach of his contract and that the equipment company should terminate his endorsement deal. So after the rep left, Valencia angrily confronted Butler and told him ever to do that again. So Butler responds with "I can say what I want and there's nothing your bitch ass is going to do about it." So Valencia punched him square in the temple with a right hook. Butler now has a concussion and severe nausea and vomiting and is on the DL.

Stephen Vogt said it was no big deal and that it happens in every clubhouse all the time. Um, no Stephen. No it doesn't.

F the Oakland A's

Crazy story though, why would BB want a teammates endorsement deal terminated anyway. Silly to worry about another guys spikes

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
F the Oakland A's

Crazy story though, why would BB want a teammates endorsement deal terminated anyway. Silly to worry about another guys spikes
Be nice Murph. They're in the cellar. What more could we want and Butler is on the DL. lol

Nightcrawler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oakland A's are a bunch of thugs. There park suits them perfectly

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Butler got what was coming to him for that shit. Good for Danny for standing up for himself and standing up to that fat tub of shit.