• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

HOF Modern Era Ballot

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Coke dealers always have lots of friends.

No one on that list jumps out to me as HOF worthy, not even Dewey who I was a huge fan of.

They're all really good players, but greatness eluded them IMO.

Also, fuck Marvin Miller.
You have a point

Cedrique

Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree, the horse got out of the barn long ago. Cooperstown is now the hall of very good and has become something of a shrine to stat compilers.
I wish someone would actually do that Hall of Very Good. I would love to visit that place. Except I would expand it to include one hit wonders and fuckups that the Hall of Fame didn't take. I love learning about baseball history. One hit wonders like Mark Fydrich. Fuckups like Pete Rose, Darryl Strawberry, Steve Howe, Dwight Gooden, Denny McLain. Guys who had 5 great seasons like Don Mattingly, Fernando Valenzuela.
The original Hall has been done to death

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is where I think the HOF is messed up though in every sport. There are a ton Murphy’s in the HOF in other sports. But to me, which is way off this topic and way too late for the Pandora’s box is that if you have to advocate for someone then that person isn’t HOF worthy. I’m a homer for Edgar Martinez and think he was the best RH hitter from 92-2001 but he wasn’t a real HOFer. The fact that Mariano Rivera was the first unanimous HOF inductee in baseball shows the system is flawed and the HOF worthy should all be in the hall.

But, everyone on the OP list >>> Harold Baines.
I will refrain from commenting on the Edgar issue. But we both have the same final opinion on him...

And while I do believe Murphy belongs in, I do not believe he is an “inner-circle” HOFer, and if he never makes it, I won’t lose any sleep.

And Baines is now a punchline, not a HOFer.

Indrid Cold

Member In Black
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitaker and Miller.... that's it.

And I was a HUGE Murphy fan....he just fell apart too completely and too quickly

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will refrain from commenting on the Edgar issue. But we both have the same final opinion on him...

And while I do believe Murphy belongs in, I do not believe he is an “inner-circle” HOFer, and if he never makes it, I won’t lose any sleep.

And Baines is now a punchline, not a HOFer.

I can't see how a case can be made for Dale Murphy, but not Dwight Evans. Their stats are so similar it is eerie. Personally, I wouldn't vote for either, but if one gets in the other should as well.

Unfortunately, Baines is in and that basically kicked down the door so that every slightly better than average player that hung on for 20 years compiling stats is being promoted as HOF worthy.

Tommy John pitched for 26 seasons and averaged a mediocre 13 wins a year, but add them all up and he sits at 288 wins. BFD.

Pure Steel

Hoopla Cash
$ 402.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No one on that list jumps out to me as HOF worthy, not even Dewey who I was a huge fan of.

They're all really good players, but greatness eluded them IMO.

Also, fuck Marvin Miller.

If you believe in WAR, Dwight Evans beats Rice by 20....:suds:

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whitaker and Miller for me. The rest are Hall of Very Good IMO.

Jeter H Crist deserves 100% unless that bald headed guy from Kansas City has a vote and brings up his strikeouts. Then Jeter will be lucky to pull 75%.:spy:

California Creme Puffs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You have a point
Is this why you're always dissing me and Doc? We set out a nice plate for you, an antique Washington Crossing the Delaware plate, with 3 huge lines; you do 2 of them and pour the rest into a baggie and then say you've "got to go feed your fish." Except I know that your fish died 2 years ago and you never replaced him out of respect! I knew it all this time but waited until now to see you admit it to Rex Racer to expose you!

Antique Washington Crossing the Delaware Motherfucker!!!!!!

images

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not a single person on there deserves to be in the HOF. Definitely deserves the hall of worthy of consideration but not HOF worthy.

Lou Whitaker ... unless they want to kick out half the people in the Hall of Fame. High WAR than Derek Jeter and part of a legendary double play combination for 19 years of Lou Whitaker and Alan Trammel.

obxyankeefan

Hoopla Cash
$ 63,137.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is this why you're always dissing me and Doc? We set out a nice plate for you, an antique Washington Crossing the Delaware plate, with 3 huge lines; you do 2 of them and pour the rest into a baggie and then say you've "got to go feed your fish." Except I know that your fish died 2 years ago and you never replaced him out of respect! I knew it all this time but waited until now to see you admit it to Rex Racer to expose you!

Antique Washington Crossing the Delaware Motherfucker!!!!!!

images

I am sorry to have to tell you but your plate is counterfeit

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't see how a case can be made for Dale Murphy, but not Dwight Evans. Their stats are so similar it is eerie. Personally, I wouldn't vote for either, but if one gets in the other should as well.

Unfortunately, Baines is in and that basically kicked down the door so that every slightly better than average player that hung on for 20 years compiling stats is being promoted as HOF worthy.

Tommy John pitched for 26 seasons and averaged a mediocre 13 wins a year, but add them all up and he sits at 288 wins. BFD.
Dale has a WAR7 6 points higher than Evans. And Murphy has 2 MVPs to Dewies 0.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

not to mention position.... CFer looks better on the resume than an elite fielding Corner outfielder...

and i am not sure if deserving, but he did get 5 gold gloves in center...

Voltaire26

Detroit Born and Raised
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
not to mention position.... CFer looks better on the resume than an elite fielding Corner outfielder...

and i am not sure if deserving, but he did get 5 gold gloves in center...

Dwight Evans had one hellofa arm in RF ... an outfield of Rice, Lynn and Evans was phenomenal ...

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In all fairness though, Murphy should've finished 3rd at best in the '82 MVP race (Schmidt and Carter had much better seasons and played in winning teams)..

Murphy's 6 best seasons is very comparable to a guy like Carlos Beltran... The obvious difference is that Beltran had a number of pretty good/good seasons outside of his best years, whereas Murphy didn't.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Murphy has the better 7 seasons, but they also account for the majority of his career WAR whereas Dewey provided a lot of value outside his top 7 seasons. I don't think 6 WAR makes up for that. And Dewey has double Murphy's WAA (33.0 to 16.4) and 20.6 more WAR.

Murphy is Nomar with about 3000 more plate appearances of being average/below average. And I don't think Nomar's a HOFer.

Last edited:

Rex Racer

Ireverrent Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,289.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:L

Spare me your garbage (WAR) stats and NL (minor league) MVP awards.