• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

History Repeating

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So I was curious about some quarterback play on some of the best defenses of all time. This 49er defense isn't considered one of the greatest of all time, but are pretty damn good for this era of football. It got me thinking about Alex Smith being good enough to win a Superbowl with a good defense. Now I know those defenses were better than ours, but this is just for the sake of comparison. I'm just going to go with the 76 Steelers, 85 Bears, and 2000 Ravens. Trying to compare the famous "game managers."

Terry Bradshaw 147/307 47.9% 1,883(6.1) 16td/14int Rating 65.4

Jim McMahon 219/385 56.9% 2,944(7.6) 18td/14int Rating 82.6

Trent Dilfer 195/329 59.3% 2,185(6.7) 17td/16int Rating 76.6
w/Banks the TD ratio is the same, but yards go up to 3,080

Alex Smith 274/446 61.4% 3,150(7.1) 17td/5int Rating 90.7

* I didn't adjust the passer rating because I didn't know how, and I went with each QB in a 16 game schedule (I adjusted the numbers) as apposed to just going against the passing totals of the teams in comparison.

Out of these QB's I think Smith is the best. Terry Bradshaw is in the HOF and has 4 Superbowls, so you can put him above Smith, but it's not like he was throwing the ball for 300 a game.

So is Alex Smith combined with our defense good enough?

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks for the stats Tall, very interesting. Like i have said and many have before Defense wins Championships. Lets turn that trend back around this year, screw the "QB wins you championships" lol

I cant belive Terry Bradshaw only threw for 1,883, rediculous.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the fact that Alex clearly hasn't turned it over or make ill-advised force throws gives us a good a chance as any....

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
So I was curious about some quarterback play on some of the best defenses of all time. This 49er defense isn't considered one of the greatest of all time, but are pretty damn good for this era of football. It got me thinking about Alex Smith being good enough to win a Superbowl with a good defense. Now I know those defenses were better than ours, but this is just for the sake of comparison. I'm just going to go with the 76 Steelers, 85 Bears, and 2000 Ravens. Trying to compare the famous "game managers."

Terry Bradshaw 147/307 47.9% 1,883(6.1) 16td/14int Rating 65.4

Jim McMahon 219/385 56.9% 2,944(7.6) 18td/14int Rating 82.6

Trent Dilfer 195/329 59.3% 2,185(6.7) 17td/16int Rating 76.6
w/Banks the TD ratio is the same, but yards go up to 3,080

Alex Smith 274/446 61.4% 3,150(7.1) 17td/5int Rating 90.7

* I didn't adjust the passer rating because I didn't know how, and I went with each QB in a 16 game schedule (I adjusted the numbers) as apposed to just going against the passing totals of the teams in comparison.

Out of these QB's I think Smith is the best. Terry Bradshaw is in the HOF and has 4 Superbowls, so you can put him above Smith, but it's not like he was throwing the ball for 300 a game.

So is Alex Smith combined with our defense good enough?

Oh hell yes - no question we ARE good enough...

The question is, will he/they (adding Coaching & ST's to the "they" mix) BE good enough?

Can we win 3 games in a row against the best the NFL has to offer?

h0ckeysk83r

Haters gonna hate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The question is, will he/they (adding Coaching & ST's to the "they" mix) BE good enough?

Im looking forward to finding out!

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I firmly believe this team is good enough to win the Super Bowl.

We have the defense and offensively we'll likely see average at best defenses.

I think the two keys are going to be running the ball and our pass rush with rushing 4.

We need to run the ball to control the clock and keep reduce the chance teams like the Saints and Packers can score and we'll need pass rush with nickel package to frustrate them when they are on the field.

My biggest worry going into the playoffs is we have to convert TDs when we get into the redzone. We won't make it on just getting the FG and hopefully we'll be aggressive in our play calling when we get there. Too often we play to protect the 3 points rather than being aggressive and getting the 7 points.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

That's a really good point. If we cut down on the stupid drive killing penalties it would help. Also, they are going to have to trust Smith at some point to make a play in the red zone. And he is going to have to trust the receivers just the same.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Has a kicker ever won Superbowl MVP?? If we were to win there might be a first time for that!!!

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
That's a really good point. If we cut down on the stupid drive killing penalties it would help. Also, they are going to have to trust Smith at some point to make a play in the red zone. And he is going to have to trust the receivers just the same.

You should get a prize for that right there!

mufasa76

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Thanks for the stats Tall, very interesting. Like i have said and many have before Defense wins Championships. Lets turn that trend back around this year, screw the "QB wins you championships" lol

I cant belive Terry Bradshaw only threw for 1,883, rediculous.

Love the thinking here!!!!!

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No more speculating or what ifs..... we're going to find out once and for all/soon enough.

For nearly 10 years, there is finally playoff football for San Francisco in January.

9er4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

When Alex has been asked to (Lions game for example) he has made plays when it counted. It isn't like he hasn't been in tough situations with the ball in his hand with games on the line. And Harbaugh has managed this offense perfectly given the talent, and I don't see that changing in the playoffs.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
No more speculating or what ifs..... we're going to find out once and for all/soon enough.

For nearly 10 years, there is finally playoff football for San Francisco in January.

You know, X, there is something empowering about being on this stage again, being with the best of the best, and knowing we deserve to be here - Now, we just need to go out and prove that we belong here as well...

I love your attitude about the no more "what ifs" and the finality of it all. This is exactly what we wanted.

tallglassofwater007

Large Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When Alex has been asked to (Lions game for example) he has made plays when it counted. It isn't like he hasn't been in tough situations with the ball in his hand with games on the line. And Harbaugh has managed this offense perfectly given the talent, and I don't see that changing in the playoffs.

Playcalling suggests they don't fully trust him. Yeah, you lean on the defense but if you kick 2 field goals how is that any better than maybe tossing a pick one red zone trip and then scoring a TD the next?? Against the offenses like Green Bay and New Orleans, field goals are not going to get the job done.

I know this is how we got this far, but I will be pissed if there are points left on the field in a close game because we played for the field goals.

9er4life

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Playcalling suggests they don't fully trust him. Yeah, you lean on the defense but if you kick 2 field goals how is that any better than maybe tossing a pick one red zone trip and then scoring a TD the next?? Against the offenses like Green Bay and New Orleans, field goals are not going to get the job done.

I know this is how we got this far, but I will be pissed if there are points left on the field in a close game because we played for the field goals.

I hear you, but right now that's how this team is built. Talent wise, there is no way that we should be 13-3 going into the playoffs as the second seed. Just another reason to give Harbaugh and his staff all the credit for doing one hell of a job.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I firmly believe this team is good enough to win the Super Bowl.

We have the defense and offensively we'll likely see average at best defenses.

I think the two keys are going to be running the ball and our pass rush with rushing 4.

We need to run the ball to control the clock and keep reduce the chance teams like the Saints and Packers can score and we'll need pass rush with nickel package to frustrate them when they are on the field.

My biggest worry going into the playoffs is we have to convert TDs when we get into the redzone. We won't make it on just getting the FG and hopefully we'll be aggressive in our play calling when we get there. Too often we play to protect the 3 points rather than being aggressive and getting the 7 points.

Not saying this is a good sample size or will continue but we scored TDs in 6 of the last 9 red zone attempts after going through a 3/18 stretch earlier. Per Maiocco in an article I read about the offense playing against the defense to work on Red Zone Offense.

MW49ers5

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here is a write up about the strengths and weaknesses of the playoff teams. Of course ours is offense, but I thought this provided a somewhat different spin on an old idea.

#2 San Francisco 49ers 13-3

Flaw: Little ball in a big ball game

If the 49ers were a baseball team, they’d be the 1985 St. Louis Cardinals, a team that defined baseball’s “little ball” era. The Cardinals won more games (101) than they hit home runs (87) and were one famous bad call from a World Series title. San Francisco won 13 games on the strength of its great defense. That covered up an offense that is getting by with numbers that simply don’t hold up.

The 49ers are one of only two teams in the playoffs that were outgained on a per-play basis. San Francisco averaged 5.0 yards per play and gave up 5.1. Only Denver (5.0 on offense, 5.4 on defense) shares that dubious statistical title. In the Super Bowl era, only one team (New England in 2001) has ever won the title after being outgained on a per play basis.

Worse, the 49ers are also one of only two playoff teams that finished with more field goals (44) than offensive touchdowns (32). Cincinnati is the other with 31 touchdowns and 33 field goals. While 49ers fans will contend that defense wins championships, the lack of offensive execution means that one mistake has the potential to be incredibly costly. Or as St. Louis baseball fans will tell, Don Denkinger is out there.

Here is the LINK to the rest of the team profiles.