• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hey hey hey, Timmay's got something to say!

sabresfaninthesouth

Lifelong Cynic
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am constantly and consistently amazed how often 'free speech' is interpreted as being able to say whatever one wants with no repercussions at all.
Cathy says this, and some people do not like it and do not want to go there anymore and some say those are against free speech. Gilbert Gottfried makes stupid jokes at a bad time, gets fired from Aflac and I keep reading how we do not have free speech in this country "anymore".

Yeah, the number of people who don't seem to understand that free speach protections are to prevent the government from censoring a person, not from them being censored period.

And the number of people who don't seem to understand that free speach does not mean that you can't be adversely affected (in a non-legal manner) by what you say.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am constantly and consistently amazed how often 'free speech' is interpreted as being able to say whatever one wants with no repercussions at all.
Cathy says this, and some people do not like it and do not want to go there anymore and some say those are against free speech. Gilbert Gottfried makes stupid jokes at a bad time, gets fired from Aflac and I keep reading how we do not have free speech in this country "anymore".

It also amuses me how people gets all spun up about "free speech" in one breath and then condemn others' rights to speak statements they disagree with in the next.

"Free Speech" is not conditional on your agreement with the statement made.

But then again, a lot of people seem to think "Free Speech" guarantees an audience too.

Had a fun discussion at lunch today and was told that the constitution was not intended to be "interpreted literally".

Ummmmm. pretty sure of any document ever written that was meant to be interpreted literally, it was THAT one.

BOSSMANPC

Harbor Center
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It also amuses me how people gets all spun up about "free speech" in one breath and then condemn others' rights to speak statements they disagree with in the next.

"Free Speech" is not conditional on your agreement with the statement made.

But then again, a lot of people seem to think "Free Speech" guarantees an audience too.

Had a fun discussion at lunch today and was told that the constitution was not intended to be "interpreted literally".

Ummmmm. pretty sure of any document ever written that was meant to be interpreted literally, it was THAT one.

I agree with you but when it comes to interpretation and the legal system there are always going to be inconsistencies. Look at the number of times the Supreme Court gets involved with constitutional issues and seldom vote 9-0 on on something that theoretically should be cut and dry.

Interpretation often is dictated by political beliefs and other variables. I guess that's why the world is full of lawyers. :D

Dacks

Militant Pacifist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

And the number of people who don't seem to understand that free speach does not mean that you can't be adversely affected (in a non-legal manner) by what you say.

Yep, seems to be a common problem.

Did Jeff ever answer if he has issues with the pro-life crowd protesting outside of abortion clinics? If anything, that's a much more aggressive and intimidating maneouver.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jeff was talking about gays and gangbangs. Not sure of the context though. Weekend plans, maybe? I don't really read all that well.

He's been talking a lot about going to Chick Fil A too. And apparently today is the day for that sort of thing.

NTTAWWT

quoipourquoi

Did Not Fuck Leesha/Sarah
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with you but when it comes to interpretation and the legal system there are always going to be inconsistencies. Look at the number of times the Supreme Court gets involved with constitutional issues and seldom vote 9-0 on on something that theoretically should be cut and dry.

Interpretation often is dictated by political beliefs and other variables. I guess that's why the world is full of lawyers. :D

Too true. Really though, anything being interpreted perfectly literally is going to be unnecessarily restrictive as time passes. The Constitution predated too much technology to not have that issue. For instance, gun rights: Do we have the right to modern guns or just muskets? Even when you try to stick to a literal reading of that amendment, it depends on your own personal Constitutional philosophy. Similar impasses have occurred involving airplanes and the internet.

This definitely isn't a Constitutional issue though.

Dan Cathy can hate homosexuals.
People can boycott or protest Dan Cathy.
A third group can shout "LAME!!!" at the protesters.
A fourth group can shout "USE MORE TONGUE!!!"

As long as the government doesn't get involved, have at it, you gang-bangers. :whoo:

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
313579_482258495135005_1444583866_n.jpg

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I also posted that picture on Tim Thomas's facebook page :D

SLY

Mr. Knowitall
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
anyway have a good friday Im drumnk

my plans fell through... Just started drinking with my roommate, going to hit the local pub. Take care bro. Be safe.