• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here's Where Mayhew and Caldwell Screwed Up.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2011 (last winning season w Linehan) was a long time ago. Different team and players. And even then Linehan wasn't beating winning teams.

This years defense has obviously suffered an colossal drop off without Suh. Last year, through the first three games the D surrendered 45 points (including 3 at Minnesota).

This year through three games, they've surrendered 83. Damn near double.

Edit: 45 points (and then only 3 at Minnesota later in the year).

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant really make judgment on the defense too much until Levy is back. He is the only LB who can match up 1 on 1 with a TE. Without him we got butchered by SD and then we went to using an extra safety and got bludgeoned by the run in week 2. He is the linch pin for the defense until we can find another LB that can cover and still play the run decent. Week 3 was better, but Peyton really does not have what he used to. He was lucky his WRs won a couple of jump balls or his numbers would have been less than average.

The offense has stunk every which way. Who would have thought that would actually be worse than last year. It seems that these guys are even more confused then lst year and as mentioned in the other thread teams know what plays we are going to run.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only way you don't start over is if you find a OC that can do what Linehan did and find a way to mask the deficiencies of individual players on the OL.

I have no doubt in my mind -- with the pass catchers we have on the team, if Stafford has time to throw -- we could be a great passing team. At some point -- Caldwell and Lombardi are going to figure out -- the only way to win is to throw the ball DOWNFIELD. We don't have the personnel to be a running team.

There hasn't been enough time for downfield routes to develop. We have the personnel to throw downfield except the line.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Peyton really does not have what he used to. He was lucky his WRs won a couple of jump balls or his numbers would have been less than average.

Id hate to see Stafford's career average if we took away jump balls. *gulp*

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edit: 45 points (and then only 3 at Minnesota later in the year).

You mean the Minnesota with a rookie starting at QB and without Adrian Peterson? That Minnesota?

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There hasn't been enough time for downfield routes to develop. We have the personnel to throw downfield except the line.

I agree -- that is why I said Linehan was able to mask the deficiencies of our OL with his blocking schemes. We have never had a great OL, but Linehan was able to make them look really good.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2011 (last winning season w Linehan) was a long time ago. Different team and players. And even then Linehan wasn't beating winning teams.

This years defense has obviously suffered an colossal drop off without Suh. Last year, through the first three games the D surrendered 45 points (including 3 at Minnesota).

This year through three games, they've surrendered 83. Damn near double.

Speaking of colossal drop offs -- With the way Suh has played this year, he would be no help at all. We have a much cheaper version of a guy to eat double teams and not do much else.

Unless we can only talk about the Lions as fact after 3 games and not Suh.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Speaking of colossal drop offs -- With the way Suh has played this year, he would be no help at all. We have a much cheaper version of a guy to eat double teams and not do much else.

Unless we can only talk about the Lions as fact after 3 games and not Suh.

Hyde5: Suh an issue? Billick points at Wake, Vernon

Superbowl winning coach says you're always wrong. Agrees with Swarm.

"I don't know that it's as much Ndamukong Suh,'' Billick said. "In fact, I'm doing a X/O thing on this, breakdown, for the NFL Network for this Sunday on our morning show. He's gobbling up double teams. It's Vernon and Wake on the outside that aren't beating their one-on-ones. "

-Brian Billick

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cant really make judgment on the defense too much until Levy is back.

Well, they're ranked 27th now. How much can one guy with a sore hip really do? He only had 1 INT last year. It's not like he blankets the middle of the field. His best work came playing clean up behind the best D line in football. Those days are long gone for everyone.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they're ranked 27th now. How much can one guy with a sore hip really do? He only had 1 INT last year. It's not like he blankets the middle of the field. His best work came playing clean up behind the best D line in football. Those days are long gone for everyone.

Yes -- because any logical football knows -- a linebackers worth is in the amount of interceptions they have. Not the 151 tackles he had last year, or how he was the best player on the team against the run with 16 run stuffs. Or that he was, by far, the best cover LB'er we have. :L

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, they're ranked 27th now.

Which team is ranked one spot ahead of Detroit? It think it says Miami, but that can't be right. No chance Miami is ranked that low after facing Kirk Cousins, Blake Bortles and Tyrod Taylor though, especially not a defense led by Suh.:thumb:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's gobbling up double teams. It's Vernon and Wake on the outside that aren't beating their one-on-ones. "

For 19 million dollars -- you had better be doing a hell of a lot more than eating double teams. This is why I said -- we have a much cheaper version to eat double teams, as Suh isn't doing much of anything else.

Miami is dead last in QB sacks with one this year. And the Suh-led Dolphins rank 31st against the run, right ahead of Cleveland.

Or is it not a Suh-led defense because they have been garbage? I get confused when he leads the defense or not.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was simply trolling.

I figured -- Thought I'd answer just in case you weren't. Only 3 teams in the NFL have had more rushing attempts against than Detroit. So while they are middle of the pack right now in yards allowed -- the 3.7 YPC is quite good considering Peterson had his way with us and Minny had a 40 yard run on a reverse.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here's Where Mayhew and Caldwell Screwed Up.

I thought this was going to be about spending a top 10 pick on TE, rather than being proactive and getting a replacement for the DL. :)

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SB winning HC says Suh isn't the problem, dope who spends Sundays changing diapers and holding purses says he's wrong. Gotta love the internet. :pound:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SB winning HC says Suh isn't the problem, dope who spends Sundays changing diapers and holding purses says he's wrong. Gotta love the internet.

I think it is cute how you come up with excuses for your man crush. I'm curious -- who is the leader of Miami's defense this year? I'm trying to figure out who has led them to the least sacks in the NFL and 2nd worse rush defense.

I know Suh HAS to be the leader of Miami's rush defense, as he is the best DT in the NFL against the run. Who leads the pass rush part of the defense? With zero sacks and zero QB pressures -- I'm guessing it isn't Suh. Maybe Jordan Phillips, as he has the only sack the Dolphins have in 3 games?