• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here's An Offseason Question Of The Day

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's a nice little car
It does amazingly well on the highway, that's what really surprised me about this vehicle. I bought it for reliability, cargo and safety features but it actually drives better on the highway than my Avalon does. The turbo is sufficient but I would have like a little bigger turbo

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It does amazingly well on the highway, that's what really surprised me about this vehicle. I bought it for reliability, cargo and safety features but it actually drives better on the highway than my Avalon does. The turbo is sufficient but I would have like a little bigger turbo
Back in the day there used to be a saying about how they all build peaches and they all build lemons, but now, you really cannot buy a bad car.
Or truck.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Back in the day there used to be a saying about how they all build peaches and they all build lemons, but now, you really cannot buy a bad car.
Or truck.
To me it's all about keeping up with routine maintenance, and repairing or replacing parts as needed. People tend to think well the dealership is just trying to make money, sure a guy like me can replace Cabin Filters and Air filters so I will do that, if they suggest new shock or tie rod end then I am likely going to pay for that, Thats the stuff that keeps your car riding well. I plan to keep this a long time, longer than most so for me its important to maintain it best I can. I think if you do that with any make, model or manufacturer you can have a decent run with any vehicle

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me it's all about keeping up with routine maintenance, and repairing or replacing parts as needed. People tend to think well the dealership is just trying to make money, sure a guy like me can replace Cabin Filters and Air filters so I will do that, if they suggest new shock or tie rod end then I am likely going to pay for that, Thats the stuff that keeps your car riding well. I plan to keep this a long time, longer than most so for me its important to maintain it best I can. I think if you do that with any make, model or manufacturer you can have a decent run with any vehicle
I can tell if I need shocks or tie rods, or the vast majority of issues that are not computer related.
And I do most work as such. Fluid changes, tune ups, brakes, batteries etc.
Stealerships are called that for a reason, some are just staffed by better people than others.
An old high school friend got a job at the (semi) local Honda dealership because his mom was the chief loan officer there.
He "Worked" his way into the parts counter, then became lead service manager.
He made commission on
1) every car that came in.
2) Every part sold.
3) Every upcharge that the mechanic could find, if the service manager could sell it.

He made twice as much yearly on commission as he did salary. Before he lost his job because of his heroin/cocaine addiction he was pulling in over $80k per year in salary.

The mechanic made commission on every upcharge he could find.
The service manager made commission on every vehicle he scheduled service for and every upcharge the mechanic could find.
The parts counter salesman made commission on every part that went across his counter, as did the parts counter manager.

That's a metric fuckload of commission.

That's also A lot of incentive to sell ice to an Eskimo.

Not all are dishonest though.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can tell if I need shocks or tie rods, or the vast majority of issues that are not computer related.
And I do most work as such. Fluid changes, tune ups, brakes, batteries etc.
Stealerships are called that for a reason, some are just staffed by better people than others.
An old high school friend got a job at the (semi) local Honda dealership because his mom was the chief loan officer there.
He "Worked" his way into the parts counter, then became lead service manager.
He made commission on
1) every car that came in.
2) Every part sold.
3) Every upcharge that the mechanic could find, if the service manager could sell it.

He made twice as much yearly on commission as he did salary. Before he lost his job because of his heroin/cocaine addiction he was pulling in over $80k per year in salary.

The mechanic made commission on every upcharge he could find.
The service manager made commission on every vehicle he scheduled service for and every upcharge the mechanic could find.
The parts counter salesman made commission on every part that went across his counter, as did the parts counter manager.

That's a metric fuckload of commission.

That's also A lot of incentive to sell ice to an Eskimo.

Not all are dishonest though.
People like me have to take a chance, we have to weight risk vs reward. I cannot fix things like that, I cannot do brakes, or shocks, or front end work so I have to rely on what I am being told. My other option is to take it and pay for another inspection or second opinion. If I feel it's a potential safety issue I tend to fix it. If they suggest a transmission or coolant change out I will get the quote then get another quote from say a locally owned transmission shop. But one way or the other I feel I need to get the work done.

And you are correct not all shops are the same. When I had the Avalon Toyota always found I needed or "Suggested" something. Got to a point where I asked the service manager and got a pissed off look. " If Toyota's are amongst the most reliable cars in the world why is it every 7,000 miles when I come in for an oil change you find something I need or is suggested?". His response was it's because it's recommended by the manufacturer or the mechanic sees this as a potential issue. I go frustrated with them in the end. Is it dirty yeah probably, but WTF can I do? I don't know how to inspect that or fix it.

Last edited:

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Toyota's are amongst the most reliable cars in the world why is it every 7,000 miles when I come in for an oil change you find something I need or is suggested?".
THIS!!!

But back to your original message, you are correct.
If you keep up with routine maintenance and use quality parts or fluids, virtually any car will be very reliable.

YankeeRebel

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
THIS!!!

But back to your original message, you are correct.
If you keep up with routine maintenance and use quality parts or fluids, virtually any car will be very reliable.
Quality parts is always a consideration too. I do feel like if I let the dealership repair the car I will or at least should get quality OEM parts.

Funny a guy I work with does full off frame classic car restorations, mostly a Mustang guy but has done classic Chevy trucks too. He owns a newer Tacoma and RAV4 that he got in trade for a 68 Fastback, not sure how that worked but anyway. He actually prefers the dealership work on the newer vehicles say's it's to much of a pain in the ass.

Yankee Traveler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quality parts is always a consideration too. I do feel like if I let the dealership repair the car I will or at least should get quality OEM parts.

Funny a guy I work with does full off frame classic car restorations, mostly a Mustang guy but has done classic Chevy trucks too. He owns a newer Tacoma and RAV4 that he got in trade for a 68 Fastback, not sure how that worked but anyway. He actually prefers the dealership work on the newer vehicles say's it's to much of a pain in the ass.
Because of the aforementioned computers, and because so many smaller items require motor or drivetrain removal.

BigKen's water pump is a great example.