• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Here is why the trade down didnt work

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol. im just sharing from what I heard. of course im rooting for him now.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dean, its not that you are showing us different opinions, that's fine. It's that you take these opinions and present them as "proof" that me made mistakes. That's just ridiculous. These talking heads are basically paid idiots. They know nothing in the grand scheme of things. I would take any NFL scouting department's evaluation of players every time over what some media talking head had to say.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
that's fine. I just like to hear everyone's opinion. Plus I really like van noy and Attahou through out this draft process.

Sportster 72

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is no telling until he starts playing in the NFL whether it will work out or not but calling him a bad pick now is unproven. Because of the disparity in talent in college TD passes, TD catches, TD runs, sacks, TFL are not 100% transferable to the NFL. A lot of people act like this an exact science when it is anything but that.

martinez

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
haslett really liked murphy and thought he could make this kid great but then if we took murphy dean wouldnt be happy. how selfish of the skins front office to not consider your feelings and just ask gruden and haslett. they forgot to ask dean! come on skinsss!

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Redskins selected Stanford OLB Trent Murphy with the No. 47 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft.
Murphy (6-foot-5 3/8, 250) played outside linebacker for the Cardinal, earning second-team All-American accolades in 2013. He finished his career with a whopping 52.5 tackles for loss and 32.5 sacks, good for third most in school history. Murphy clocked 4.86 at the Combine with a 9-foot-10 broad jump. Despite his college stats, Murphy lacks NFL-caliber edge-rush tools. After charting all 15 of Murphy's senior-year sacks, NFL Films' Greg Cosell stated, "only two of them came when he actually beat someone. I don't really think he's a true NFL pass rusher." Ultimately, Murphy is a try-hard college player whose skills may simply struggle to translate.

and it is still foolish

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did Yankee get drafted? He must suck ass if he went that much later than expected by the talking heads.

If Van Noy is as good as you claim, why did he go after Murphy?

The trade down worked like a charm. We got the guy you were clamoring for at 34 in the third round. We got the better guard, also in the third round. I can say this because of the amount guards drafted between Long and Yankey. Yankey wasn't even the next guard off the board.

In the process, we picked up the nation's leading sack man for free. That is why it worked.

Kevin12773

Boomer Sooner
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where did Yankee get drafted? He must suck ass if he went that much later than expected by the talking heads.

If Van Noy is as good as you claim, why did he go after Murphy?

The trade down worked like a charm. We got the guy you were clamoring for at 34 in the third round. We got the better guard, also in the third round. I can say this because of the amount guards drafted between Long and Yankey. Yankey wasn't even the next guard off the board.

In the process, we picked up the nation's leading sack man for free. That is why it worked.

This! Exactly

sublime4eva

Westcoast Redskin fan....
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched play against ASU for the Pac-12 title.
A beast

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gk you are on some serious drugs. Van Noy went before Murphy in the 2nd round. The Moses pick had nothing to do with the trade down b/c it was our original selection. We gave Dallas our division rival the pass rusher that they wanted. IMO we could of had a better OLB and we still would of got the guard that we wanted or Cyril Richardon or Yankey. I hope the so called experts are wrong about Murphy b/c he got one of the worst grades of the 2nd round.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
gk you are on some serious drugs. Van Noy went before Murphy in the 2nd round. The Moses pick had nothing to do with the trade down b/c it was our original selection. We gave Dallas our division rival the pass rusher that they wanted. IMO we could of had a better OLB and we still would of got the guard that we wanted or Cyril Richardon or Yankey. I hope the so called experts are wrong about Murphy b/c he got one of the worst grades of the 2nd round.

Then why are you bitching if Van Noy went before we picked in the 2nd? Oh...you like dealing with hindsight and expected Moses to be there in the 3rd right?

We gave Dallas a pass rusher they wanted that doesn't fit their scheme but got a better pass rusher that fits our scheme later...you are bitching why?

Between Long and Yankey, 7 other guards were taken...SEVEN. Almost TWO full rounds...TWO...passed between Long and Yankey. That is what people who get paid to evaluate talent had to say about Yankey when compared to Long. Yankey is ASS.

Even more passed for Richardson.

So where exactly did you get the grades from? I'm curious. These are also the same experts that fucked up beyond belief in many other picks that went undrafted...and I'm not talking minor mistakes...I'm talking up to 6 rounds worth of mistakes.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that we could of got Van Noy if we didn't trade. We did trade and we lost on him for Long who we could of had in the 5th round. A lot of people believe that Van Noy was the better player. We got very lucky that Moses was there in the 3rd. Very lucky.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that we could of got Van Noy if we didn't trade. We did trade and we lost on him for Long who we could of had in the 5th round. A lot of people believe that Van Noy was the better player. We got very lucky that Moses was there in the 3rd. Very lucky.

I can't see your love affair with Van Noy. Not in the least. He was drafted by a 4-3 team and appears to be a much better scheme fit there based on his size. He is only 6'3", 240 pounds and that is far smaller than your prototypical OLB in a 3-4. He also has short arms and tiny hands that will get him dominated by OTs in the NFL. An OLB has to be able to get after the QB and Van Noy had 4 sacks his senior year.

Compare that to Trent Murphy who is 6'5" 250 with a frame to put more weight on. Trent Murphy has long arms and the biggest hands in the draft. Trent Murphy led the nation in sacks with 15 so we know he can get the QB, at least at the collegiate level.

Maybe you are just looking at 40 times but for an OLB in a 3-4 that doesn't matter. A more important characteristic would be the ten yard split (Murphy was better), vertical jump (Murphy was better) and the broad jump (Murphy was better).

Who says we could have had Long in the 5th round? We took Long in the 3rd round. 5 more Gs were taken in the 3rd round after Long. Another was taken in the 4th. Do you believe our talent evaluations were much different than the other professionals that took Gs between our pick and our pick in the 5th round? Or do you only go by what TV personalities have to say?

We weren't lucky that Moses fell to the 3rd. That's where he belonged according to 32 NFL football teams.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Van Noy was the most versatile LB out there. Could of played inside and outside. Yes we were lucky that Moses was there as he was projected as a late 1st to 2nd round pick. Hey, I am a Murphy fan now. I hope he does well.

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Van Noy was the most versatile LB out there. Could of played inside and outside. Yes we were lucky that Moses was there as he was projected as a late 1st to 2nd round pick. Hey, I am a Murphy fan now. I hope he does well.

Show me one NFL executive, coach or scout that said Van Noy could play inside. He is way too small to play inside. This, too, came from some talking head that speculated we were interested in him for inside. Clearly he was wrong. Again.

gkekoa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What makes him versatile?

We run a 3-4 defense.

Moses was projected by people who don't know shit. Those same people had Antonio Richardson as a 2nd rounder and he went undrafted. My God...we need the UDFA and it would be the steal of the draft.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Richardson has a medical problem that is why he went undrafted. Van Noy is versatile b/c he can play all four LB positions in the 3-4.

deanpet21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read about Van Noys versatility somewhere. I will try to find the link for you guys.

skinsdad62

US ARMY retired /mod.
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Show me one NFL executive, coach or scout that said Van Noy could play inside. He is way too small to play inside. This, too, came from some talking head that speculated we were interested in him for inside. Clearly he was wrong. Again.

i posted this earlier in a tread before the draft , dean is right at that point

j_y19

ESPN Cast Off
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i posted this earlier in a tread before the draft , dean is right at that point

Somebody that works for one of the teams? Please provide it to me. I will apologize to Dean and everyone else but I would be shocked if an actual NFL employee speculated this. Not only is he too small, but his arms are too short. He would get creamed by OL when he tried to fill holes.