• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Henry Melton

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To the Seahawks?

not liking..............Not liking. :gaah:

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I've read , he left Seattle unsigned. And is heading to Dallas.
Doubt he'll be the same player he once was. So let Dallas sign him to the big buck contract he wants.
If he wants to come back here cheap, I'd say hell yes. But seems JJ likes to take risks. I could see him landing there.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I'm hearing is Melton's agent is asking for too much. This was the problem last year when he tried to neg. a long term deal in the summer after being tagged. You add the injury, questions about his rehab, bar fights, and now a law suit... Add all that up PLUS he's a player who disappears for long stretches of seasons even when healthy. 2-3 sacks in one game then nothing for 5. Don't want him back. Too $$$.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Melton's agent is doing the right thing. There are still several teams with tons of cap room and needs at DT. He's the last youngish/decent DT out there. Believe me, someone will take him. I hear you on the injury thing, but the fact of the matter is the market is his for the taking.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From what I'm hearing is Melton's agent is asking for too much. This was the problem last year when he tried to neg. a long term deal in the summer after being tagged. You add the injury, questions about his rehab, bar fights, and now a law suit... Add all that up PLUS he's a player who disappears for long stretches of seasons even when healthy. 2-3 sacks in one game then nothing for 5. Don't want him back. Too $$$.

Welcome to the site.:suds:

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think Henry is learning that the Bears aren't the only organization not willing to pay him long term at this point. I fully expect him to sign another 1 year deal and pray he doesn't have a repeat of last year.

Lesson learned: Never best to be so stubborn that you get franchised for a year.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I think Henry is learning that the Bears aren't the only organization not willing to pay him long term at this point. I fully expect him to sign another 1 year deal and pray he doesn't have a repeat of last year.

Lesson learned: Never best to be so stubborn that you get franchised for a year.

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm still watching Dallas. No one knows the mind of Jerry Jones...

C

cubzzzfanincali

maybe it's my imagination, but fans seem more "trigger happy" this year, like somehow if something doesn't happen in week 1 of free agency, that bang, that's it. Big deals in most offseasons get signed throughout the offseason...not everyone goes in week 1. Just because Melton and Wootton haven't signed yet does not mean they won't get multiyear deals. It doesn't mean that at all.

Current teams heavily needing DTs are:

Oakland (detecting a pattern here...)
NY Giants
St Louis (ok maybe there's isn't a "heavy" need but they need a replacement for Langford)
Dallas

So I don't know...I'm sure Dallas wants him but they really don't have the money. Is Oakland really dumb enough to let one of the last potentially higher quality free agents go? What on Earth are they waiting to commit all that cap room for? I have to believe they've already offered Melton a pile of money, and for whatever reason Melton just doesn't want to go there. Or they are his backup plan and he's just trying to see what he might be able to milk out of Dallas. The team on that list I'm surprised I haven't heard more about is New York, but who knows what kinds of phone calls have been going on.

One really nice thing from the Bears' vantage point, if the Bears want to draft a DT, we may very well have the pick of the litter. I mean it is entirely possible we get the top DT choice in the draft available. Oakland needs a DT but then again they need guys practically everywhere. And NY so desperately needs a guy on their offensive line worse, along with linebacker and DE, that even though they need another DT I just doubt it happens.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
maybe it's my imagination, but fans seem more "trigger happy" this year, like somehow if something doesn't happen in week 1 of free agency, that bang, that's it. Big deals in most offseasons get signed throughout the offseason...not everyone goes in week 1. Just because Melton and Wootton haven't signed yet does not mean they won't get multiyear deals. It doesn't mean that at all.

Current teams heavily needing DTs are:

Oakland (detecting a pattern here...)
NY Giants
St Louis (ok maybe there's isn't a "heavy" need but they need a replacement for Langford)
Dallas

So I don't know...I'm sure Dallas wants him but they really don't have the money. Is Oakland really dumb enough to let one of the last potentially higher quality free agents go? What on Earth are they waiting to commit all that cap room for? I have to believe they've already offered Melton a pile of money, and for whatever reason Melton just doesn't want to go there. Or they are his backup plan and he's just trying to see what he might be able to milk out of Dallas. The team on that list I'm surprised I haven't heard more about is New York, but who knows what kinds of phone calls have been going on.

One really nice thing from the Bears' vantage point, if the Bears want to draft a DT, we may very well have the pick of the litter. I mean it is entirely possible we get the top DT choice in the draft available. Oakland needs a DT but then again they need guys practically everywhere. And NY so desperately needs a guy on their offensive line worse, along with linebacker and DE, that even though they need another DT I just doubt it happens.

Like they told me, they can carry over that money to next year. Get another developmental year under their quarterback McGloin and Pryor and make a bigger splash next year when you really figure out what they need. An ailing lineman tying up cap space is not the answer. All these owners are in the same boat and probably want to make a point for a player to settle on a deal rather than demanding the team use the franchise tag to keep them. He went to the pro bowl, wasnt chosen, but an alternate. The team that gets Melton will probably be a one year and an option year. I doubt anyone is going that long of a term at his price.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

^^^ What he said. +1

C

cubzzzfanincali

Like they told me, they can carry over that money to next year. Get another developmental year under their quarterback McGloin and Pryor and make a bigger splash next year when you really figure out what they need. An ailing lineman tying up cap space is not the answer. All these owners are in the same boat and probably want to make a point for a player to settle on a deal rather than demanding the team use the franchise tag to keep them. He went to the pro bowl, wasnt chosen, but an alternate. The team that gets Melton will probably be a one year and an option year. I doubt anyone is going that long of a term at his price.

They can only carry 11.2% over. There is a required floor of 88.8% of the cap that all teams must commit to.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melton signed with the Cowboys. He broke the news on Twitter just a few minutes ago...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melton signed with the Cowboys. He broke the news on Twitter just a few minutes ago...

Yup.

"Adam Schefter reports Dallas Cowboys and Henry Melton putting finishing touches on multi-year deal"

I wonder how much Jerry shelled out to him.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now if I can only foretell the lottery.:lol:
Thought Melton would end up in Dallas, and Earl would be cut . Said these things somewhere on this board.
My apologies for gloating. Yes, I've had a few.
Go Bears.

Last edited by a moderator:
C

cubzzzfanincali

Yup.

"Adam Schefter reports Dallas Cowboys and Henry Melton putting finishing touches on multi-year deal"

I wonder how much Jerry shelled out to him.

It's an interesting deal. He gets about a million this year, then if he is still on roster first day of 2015 league year, he gets an automatic 3 year extension at $8 million per year.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, if there is one person who would over pay it would be Jerry Jones, well ok, the owner of the Redskins too. Marinelli probably had a lot to do with this. "give me my guys or I quit".

Anyway, I sure didn't see this coming, nor do I want my Bears making such a move. Good for Emery.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's an interesting deal. He gets about a million this year, then if he is still on roster first day of 2015 league year, he gets an automatic 3 year extension at $8 million per year.

I heard that 3 year 8 million is guaranteed money too.

Is it overpaying? 4 year 25 million for a guy that was franchised at almost 9 million last year?