• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Have you ever cried over a sporting event?

NFL-Solomon

The Father of The Potato Salad Poll Option
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Awesome! Dogs like that bring such joy into humans' lives!

I obviously love Goldens and Border Collies and you got the best of both worlds! Amazing! You were certainly blessed to have him!
Truly, except I think he spoiled me from having other dogs.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truly, except I think he spoiled me from having other dogs.
Haha, yeah, I could easily see that.

I've got a female border collie (Zelda) and a male border collie (Ganon). I got Zelda first. Phenomenal dog. When I decided to get another dog, I explicitly hunted for a male because I wanted a different personality and experience despite being the same breed. And I got one! Ganon is also a phenomenal dog but for completely different reasons. And that's why we've been considering a Golden/mix puppy... We want a completely new experience and new personality, but with some favorable breed traits splashed in...

NFL-Solomon

The Father of The Potato Salad Poll Option
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I've got a female border collie (Zelda) and a male border collie (Ganon). I got Zelda first. Phenomenal dog. When I decided to get another dog, I explicitly hunted for a male because I wanted a different personality and experience despite being the same breed. And I got one! Ganon is also a phenomenal dog but for completely different reasons. And that's why we've been considering a Golden/mix puppy... We want a completely new experience and new personality, but with some favorable breed traits splashed in...
If Max was any indication, you couldn't do much better. He left a big hole in my life with his passing.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I have a 3-year old German Shepherd-Great Dane mix. Very loving, smart, and protective dog. And she's huge. About 120 lbs.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have a 3-year old German Shepherd-Great Dane mix. Very loving, smart, and protective dog. And she's huge. About 120 lbs.
Yeah, that's a big dog! I've got one cousin with a German Shepherd and another cousin with a Great Dane. Both breeds are great. Never heard of a mix of the two before, though. That's gotta be interesting!

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, that's a big dog! I've got one cousin with a German Shepherd and another cousin with a Great Dane. Both breeds are great. Never heard of a mix of the two before, though. That's gotta be interesting!

She's my first big dog, so yes, it's an interesting learning experience for me. Always had small dogs before this (Shih Tzu/Lhasa Apso mix, Mini Schnauzer/terrier mix, and another terrier mix). Just got her 7 months ago. She's a rescue, and they told us she's anywhere from 3-5 years old and that she's a German Shepherd-Great Dane mix. The German Shepherd part is very obvious, and I think I do see the Great Dane part.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's my first big dog, so yes, it's an interesting learning experience for me. Always had small dogs before this (Shih Tzu/Lhasa Apso mix, Mini Schnauzer/terrier mix, and another terrier mix). Just got her 7 months ago. She's a rescue, and they told us she's anywhere from 3-5 years old and that she's a German Shepherd-Great Dane mix. The German Shepherd part is very obvious, and I think I do see the Great Dane part.

Adding in that she's a rescue adds a whole other level of 'interesting' into the learning experience equation. I'm sure she's got some interesting quirks in her personality that were developed before you rescued her.

Do you have a good amount of space for her to run?

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If it makes you feel any better I wished we had beaten The Indians, or someone like them, in each one of those WS...

You're talking about the SF Giants' WS titles, right? I have no complaints over who the Giants beat in the WS. I waited long enough for the Giants to finally win that I wouldn't have cared if the opponent were the Tampa Bay Rays. LOL.

pachyderm

kick assery king
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're talking about the SF Giants' WS titles, right? I have no complaints over who the Giants beat in the WS. I waited long enough for the Giants to finally win that I wouldn't have cared if the opponent were the Tampa Bay Rays. LOL.

Honestly me too.

But, I like it better when old school teams go and not expansion teams.

I want a classic match up. Royals, Rangers... meh.

The Tigers WS fit the bill.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Adding in that she's a rescue adds a whole other level of 'interesting' into the learning experience equation. I'm sure she's got some interesting quirks in her personality that were developed before you rescued her.

Do you have a good amount of space for her to run?

No. We take her out on 2 walks a day. She's not aggressive, but she is pretty wary of other dogs, so we do need to work on that so that we can bring her to a dog park to have some fun and run.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly me too.

Tigers have a pretty rich history. Royals were really good in the '80s.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly me too.

The Tigers WS fit the bill.

I thought maybe I would cry when the Giants finally won in 2010, but I've never cried over a happy event in my whole life, so maybe it's just not something that will ever happen for me.

pittpnthrs

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My daughter was in 7th grade and was the point guard of her team. She made a last second 3 pointer to beat the cross town rivals. My wife said the place went nuts. Coach ran out on the floor and crowd chanting her name, etc,,,,. I wasnt there because I decided to pick up an extra shift at work. When my wife called and told me about it, I cried. I should have been there instead of working an extra night for a company that didnt give two shits about me. It bothers me and I live in regret to this very day. If you can spend time with your family, do it.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. We take her out on 2 walks a day. She's not aggressive, but she is pretty wary of other dogs, so we do need to work on that so that we can bring her to a dog park to have some fun and run.
Do you have any friends or family nearby with well-socialized dogs?

From my experience, the best way to socialize a dog that is wary of other dogs is to consistently and frequently have them interact with well-socialized dogs and it works best if you're familiar and comfortable with the owners of the other dogs because there will be a calm and comfortable energy in the atmosphere. If there's apprehension or tension in the humans, there will be in the dogs too.

Sir Robin Of Camelot

You seem angry. Miserable, even.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
SB5....I was 12
Dallas had lost the two championship games to the packers in 66 & 67. They lost two division round games to Cleveland in 68 & 69 when they were heavy favorites. Couldn't take the SB5 loss.

Thankfully Captain America became the QB in 71 and the next years champions tag was finally off the Cowboys back

I was 15... and I distinctly remember my dad screaming at the TV “Dammit Morton - what the fuck are you doing?” when he threw it to Curtis.

I didn’t cry then but I damn sure had tears in my eyes after Alvin Harper went 75 yards in the ‘92 NFC championship game.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do you have any friends or family nearby with well-socialized dogs?

From my experience, the best way to socialize a dog that is wary of other dogs is to consistently and frequently have them interact with well-socialized dogs and it works best if you're familiar and comfortable with the owners of the other dogs because there will be a calm and comfortable energy in the atmosphere. If there's apprehension or tension in the humans, there will be in the dogs too.

My brother has a one year old Labrador Poodle. First time they met, they were cool after some initial barking. Last two times haven't been as good. No fights or anything, but a lot of barking.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My daughter was in 7th grade and was the point guard of her team. She made a last second 3 pointer to beat the cross town rivals. My wife said the place went nuts. Coach ran out on the floor and crowd chanting her name, etc,,,,. I wasnt there because I decided to pick up an extra shift at work. When my wife called and told me about it, I cried. I should have been there instead of working an extra night for a company that didnt give two shits about me. It bothers me and I live in regret to this very day. If you can spend time with your family, do it.
Yep!

I've got a story about 7th grade girls basketball - that involves crying.

When my daughter was a 7th grader, I volunteer coached the 7th & 8th grade girls basketball team. One of the girls on my team was a superstar point guard (and still is - played varsity point guard as a freshman; is currently a junior who is leading the team to a dominating season). I also had a pretty beefy 8th grader who could play. If you're a smart coach, you mold your system to your team's strengths as much as you mold your talent to your system - and that's what I did. The primary ignition switch for my team's offense was a high pick & roll. Most teams couldn't defend it. We saw a lot of teams switch to zone defenses after a few possessions and still struggled to stop it.

One team we played in a tournament had a really quick and scrappy girl who played really tight on-ball defense. She's the only girl who could almost match my point guard's speed & quickness. In the first half of the game, the score was pretty close. In the middle of the first half, my beefy 8th grader set the most perfect, beautiful and wall-solid pick on the scrappy defender and my point guard ran her perfectly into that solid brick wall. It laid her out! She was dazed and bawling. She spent the rest of the first half on the bench trying to compose herself. In the second half, the little scrappy defender played, but was a shell of her former self. We opened a pretty big lead after that perfect pick.

I've volunteer coached grade school football, basketball, volleyball, softball and track to some extent throughout my kids' grade school years and I consider that pick one of my favorite moments in coaching. Having something relatively insignificant like a single pick work to such emphatic perfection is a point of pride and joy that sticks with you.

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My brother has a one year old Labrador Poodle. First time they met, they were cool after some initial barking. Last two times haven't been as good. No fights or anything, but a lot of barking.
How socialized is your brother's dog? Is he kind of in a similar situation as you?... Not much socialization with other dogs? If so, it will be good to get the dogs together frequently so they can help each other socialize. When you do, always keep in mind that the dogs feed off human energy. If you're calm, they will be calm. If their calm together often, each dog will develop greater comfort in the company of other dogs.

One of the most problematic and greatest points of tension is the introduction of two dogs - even if the dogs are familiar with each other. A beneficial action - no matter whose house - is to take all dogs for a walk together BEFORE you enter the house. Then as the walk concludes - no matter how long the walk is - walk the dogs into the house together. Doing so will eliminate territorial tensions.