• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Hartnell traded for Umberger and a 4th

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
umberger has a modified NTC starting this year though (full NTC until now).. just discovered that.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but...putting the rumors together:

1) Vinny willing to go to Florida
2) Flyers interested in Florida's 1st overall pick (Ekblad)

Along with the acquisition of a player who is really a 3C despite the ability to move to wing, and you have:

Flyers trade Couturier, LeCavalier and their 1st round pick for Florida's 1st overall pick.

That would be tough to swallow. I love Coots, but for Ekblad I'd probably do this. The key is getting rid of Vinny and his contract. Replacing Coots sucks, but I believe he is easier to replace than finding a possible stud dman w/o crippling the farm. Just my opinion.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be tough to swallow. I love Coots, but for Ekblad I'd probably do this. The key is getting rid of Vinny and his contract. Replacing Coots sucks, but I believe he is easier to replace than finding a possible stud dman w/o crippling the farm. Just my opinion.

:agree:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

if the trade is coots, lecavalier, and the flyers 1st, for the 1st overall, I'd probably do that. with umberger in the fold and laughton coming up, the flyers can replace a 3C. you get rid of vinny's contract, and you have the opportunity to draft a top pair d prospect.

love coots, but that would be a good deal for the flyers I think. (I don't think the panthers would do that though, they'd want more for the first overall I think)

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy stat of the day.

June 23rd…the day of Flyers GM infamy. It’s also the date JVR, Carter and Richards were shipped as well as Bryz signing his multi-billion ruble deal. Hopefully Hextall knows what he’s doing…

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Crazy stat of the day.

June 23rd…the day of Flyers GM infamy. It’s also the date JVR, Carter and Richards were shipped as well as Bryz signing his multi-billion ruble deal. Hopefully Hextall knows what he’s doing…

that's pretty crazy. I remember where I was when the carter/Richards trades broke.. I was couch shopping in California.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if the trade is coots, lecavalier, and the flyers 1st, for the 1st overall, I'd probably do that. with umberger in the fold and laughton coming up, the flyers can replace a 3C. you get rid of vinny's contract, and you have the opportunity to draft a top pair d prospect.

love coots, but that would be a good deal for the flyers I think. (I don't think the panthers would do that though, they'd want more for the first overall I think)

How about if the Flyers included Hagg?

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, but...putting the rumors together:

1) Vinny willing to go to Florida
2) Flyers interested in Florida's 1st overall pick (Ekblad)

Along with the acquisition of a player who is really a 3C despite the ability to move to wing, and you have:

Flyers trade Couturier, LeCavalier and their 1st round pick for Florida's 1st overall pick.

This is really interesting and it does actually fall perfectly in line with the rumor mill. I know Ekblad is a beast but he hasn't played in the NHL yet and 1st picks are always over valued. I'm not really too keen on the idea of shipping Couts out at all let alone him & our #1 . I could see a 2nd or another prospect (Hagg maybe?) going to FLA in that deal. I know they'd be eating Vinny's salary but it just seems like a huge gamble when it seems like you know what you have in Couts. I guess this would really largely depend on Laughton's readiness. The other thing is it would free up $6.25m in cap but it's a fairly weak FA class.

Ekblad is really really tempting though...

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about if the Flyers included Hagg?

from a flyers perspective.. I think I'm OK with that still. I haven't researched Ekblad too much, but people seem very high on him. I'm basing it off that.

My thing with coots is, he's been somewhat pigeon-holed on the flyers. With hartnell now gone I assume Schenn moves to the high screen on the 1st PP unit which opens up a spot for Coots on the 2nd PP. I'd be very interested to see what comes of that. Also I wonder if they're contemplating moving coots to 2C too. A lineup of:

Schenn.Giroux.Voracek
Vinny.Couturier.Simmonds
Umberger.Laughton.Read
PEB.Raffl.Rinaldo

would be an interesting one to me.. obviously schenn and vinny both on the wing isn't ideal since they've shown to suck at that. but maybe a different dynamic opens something up?

I think the flyers will move vinny though, one way or another.

banditshcky11

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as speed and skill go I think we're all forgetting about a player we have on our team now who plays wing. Jason Akeson, may be ready to compete for a job after a respectable playoff campaign. He isn't going to be a super defensive forward but he has speed, good vision/creativity and a decent shot.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as speed and skill go I think we're all forgetting about a player we have on our team now who plays wing. Jason Akeson, may be ready to compete for a job after a respectable playoff campaign. He isn't going to be a super defensive forward but he has speed, good vision/creativity and a decent shot.

I could be wrong, but I thought one of the knocks on Akeson was that he wasn't very fast considering his small size.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't move Couts/Vinny/1st for the Panthers 1st overall, they need Couts in the lineup

What you might see happen is the Flyers giving Couts an elevated role offensively because they'll need second line scoring - R.J. is here to do some of the grunt work that Couts has done in the past when it comes to the PK - it will take pressure off Couts and it will encourage him to be more offensive - this will be Couts forth season in the league, it's getting to that time where he needs to make some strides offensively, which he definitely can, but they need to put him in a situation where he can do it and this is a good spot - I also think Brayden Schenn needs to move to the wing, I don't think he's that great at center, he might be able to do more on the wing

In no way should Vinny be still on this roster when the dust settles - move him and Nicklas Grossmann to Florida and Edmonton respectively, don't take any salary back and then sign Radim Vrbata for 4 million, Zach Redmond for 1 and Al Montoya for 800k

The forward group would look like this:

Brayden Schenn - Claude Giroux - Jake Voracek
Radim Vrbata - Sean Couturier - Wayne Simmonds
Jason Akeson - R.J. Umberger - Matt Read
Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - Scott Laughton - Michael Raffl
Zac Rinaldo/Jay Rosehill

PP 1:
Brayden Schenn - Claude Giroux - Wayne Simmonds
Jake Voracek - Mark Streit

PP 2:
Radim Vrbata - Sean Couturier - Matt Read
Kimmo Timonen - Andrew MacDonald

Something like that, they could put R.J. on the PP from time to time as well

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from a flyers perspective.. I think I'm OK with that still. I haven't researched Ekblad too much, but people seem very high on him. I'm basing it off that.

My thing with coots is, he's been somewhat pigeon-holed on the flyers. With hartnell now gone I assume Schenn moves to the high screen on the 1st PP unit which opens up a spot for Coots on the 2nd PP. I'd be very interested to see what comes of that. Also I wonder if they're contemplating moving coots to 2C too. A lineup of:

Schenn.Giroux.Voracek
Vinny.Couturier.Simmonds
Umberger.Laughton.Read
PEB.Raffl.Rinaldo

would be an interesting one to me.. obviously schenn and vinny both on the wing isn't ideal since they've shown to suck at that. but maybe a different dynamic opens something up?

I think the flyers will move vinny though, one way or another.

We saw how each played on the wing at times last season. Vinny was horrible and we saw that Schenn just isn't a winger. Why would we move both of them to wing? :noidea:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's got to feel pretty shitty to hear the news that basically you have no place in this organization any longer. Btw, Scotty, how does Columbus sound? I know it's the nature of the business, but damn does suck for Harts, Carter, Richie, and whomever this happened to.

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Phaneuf is a legit #1 guy though. He's not elite caliber like Doughty or Keith, but he's a legit #1. His contract is a little high and too long, but it's not completely ridiculous considering he is a legit #1. Such is the reality in today's NHL. Legit #1 defenders get massive contracts and take a kings ransom in a trade.

He is not a legit number 1

He also comes with a 7 year 7 million a season contract

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is not a legit number 1

He also comes with a 7 year 7 million a season contract

Agreed with this, if he's a legit number one, then the Leafs would be a better team - a lot of his errors have caused issues for the Leafs - and he's making too much money - if he's going to make that money he needs to be an absolute stud and he's not that

raptorlife4

Long Time Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,850.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Hartnell but his better days are behind him.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love Hartnell but his better days are behind him.

Agree. I'm not a big fan of Umberger. This trade in general has lost me. I'm on the bandwagon of getting Ekblad. Lol... I know it's not going to happen, but I can dream, much like I was with Shea Webber. I'm curious however if Hexy has an ace in the hole? Something is up?