• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh's Press Conference Live

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"I've never been a backyard guy, like run around and go make a play," Smith said. "That's not who I am. That's just not me. I play a different type of football."

A quote from Smith acknowledging his biggest weakness.

1911Alaska

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no cutting

trading to kc

Is it possible to trade him? Does his payment come before or after the trade dead line? It would not make sense to pay him his $9 Million or however much it is then trade him for a 4th round pick. Also that being said I dont see any teams wanting to trade for him when they know we will just cut him any ways

wartyOne

That guy
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no cutting

trading to kc

I don't see KC willing to give up that kind of money for Smith (he's due a $7M roster bonus in April) when they're likely going to be able to draft a QB first overall.

I realize he's a 9er, and we as fans tend to overrate our own guys, but what trade value does Smith have? According to QBR, he's the 21st rated QB over the last two years, which were the best of his career. He's not going to blossom further, and in a trade, he's pretty cost-prohibitive.

I just don't see anybody trading for him.

NFCE:
Washington and New York are obviously set at QB. Who knows about Philly (coach, system and QB could all be gone this offseason), but they're slated for a top-5 pick themselves. Dallas could be done with Romo, but I don't see Jones trading for a guy who's career year averaged less than 200 passing yards a game.

NFCS:
No room for Alex anywhere in here (as a starter).

NFCN:
No room for Alex anywhere in here. Ponder isn't the second coming of Randall Cunningham, but they're committed to him for at least the next season.

NFCW:
Maybe Arizona, because they have the worst QB situation of any team I can remember, dating back to the early 80's. But with Fitzgerald, I think the Cardinals would probably try to find a guy with a bigger arm than Smith.

AFCE:
Definitely not the Dolphins or Patriots, and I don't see Smith as an upgrade worth trading for over Fitzpatrick (and his ridiculous contract). The Jets need something, but they need something everywhere. With their "little brother" mentality, I don't see them bringing in Smith. It's not a flashy enough move.

AFCS:
Houston, and Indy are obviously set. Jacksonville and Tennessee have spent recent high draft picks on QB's. They don't appear to be panning out, but it's still a bit early to tell.

AFCN:
Is Smith better than Wheeden? I don't know. Maybe. The Browns are a dysfunctional mess, but they aren't getting blown out every week.

AFCW:
The Chiefs are staring at the first pick overall. Why trade for a guy when you can draft one with a higher ceiling?

Looking around the league, I just don't see any team that would be willing to trade for Smith to be their starter. And if he's not going to be the starter, why trade? And since every GM in the league knows that Smith is going to be cut before his April roster bonus, why waste the draft pick and cap-hit?

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see KC willing to give up that kind of money for Smith (he's due a $7M roster bonus in April) when they're likely going to be able to draft a QB first overall.

I realize he's a 9er, and we as fans tend to overrate our own guys, but what trade value does Smith have? According to QBR, he's the 21st rated QB over the last two years, which were the best of his career. He's not going to blossom further, and in a trade, he's pretty cost-prohibitive.

NFCE:
Washington and New York are obviously set at QB. Who knows about Philly (coach, system and QB could all be gone this offseason), but they're slated for a top-5 pick themselves. Dallas could be done with Romo, but I don't see Jones trading for a guy who's career year averaged less than 200 passing yards a game.

NFCS:

NFCN:
No room for Alex anywhere in here. Ponder isn't the second coming of Randall Cunningham, but they're committed to him for at least the next season.

NFCW:
Maybe Arizona, because they have the worst QB situation of any team I can remember, dating back to the early 80's. But with Fitzgerald, I think the Cardinals would probably try to find a guy with a bigger arm than Smith.

AFCE:
Definitely not the Dolphins or Patriots, and I don't see Smith as an upgrade worth trading for over Fitzpatrick (and his ridiculous contract). The Jets need something, but they need something everywhere. With their "little brother" mentality, I don't see them bringing in Smith. It's not a flashy enough move.

AFCS:
Houston, and Indy are obviously set. Jacksonville and Tennessee have spent recent high draft picks on QB's. They don't appear to be panning out, but it's still a bit early to tell.

AFCN:
Is Smith better than Wheeden? I don't know. Maybe. The Browns are a dysfunctional mess, but they aren't getting blown out every week.

AFCW:
The Chiefs are staring at the first pick overall. Why trade for a guy when you can draft one with a higher ceiling?

Looking around the league, I just don't see any team that would be willing to trade for Smith to be their starter. And if he's not going to be the starter, why trade? And since every GM in the league knows that Smith is going to be cut before his April roster bonus, why waste the draft pick and cap-hit?

hey can u stop peeing in my cheerios?

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it possible to trade him? Does his payment come before or after the trade dead line? It would not make sense to pay him his $9 Million or however much it is then trade him for a 4th round pick. Also that being said I dont see any teams wanting to trade for him when they know we will just cut him any ways

I would have to confirm this but I think the trading window for the upcoming season begins before roster bonuses are due.

Bemular

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NFCE:

NFCS:

NFCN:

NFCW:

AFCE:

AFCS:

AFCN:

AFCW:

This!

threelittleturds

anteater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree with Warty. At first I thought the team could trade him to a team like KC, Vikings, or Arizona, because I thought Smith had a cap friendly deal where they could bring him in for training camp and cut him if he didn't win the starting job without having to pay him any guaranteed money.

... but then news of his 7.5 million dollar poison pill came out. Gotta hand it to his agent, that was a pretty smart way of making sure Smith was either starting as a 49er or given a chance to start somewhere else if CK took over this year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounded kind of hokey to me. Maybe something that might have played well in a Knute Rockne speech.

This is what I wonder as well. As stated by some before I just wish Harbs kind if would just declare one man the starting qb for the rest of the way. Seems its unfair to the team and both ck and smith.

But that's just how he rolls lol

I think he has decided that. It would take a big struggle for him to go back - he'd be leaving the guy he drafted, he'd be admitting to the media something, and he'd be sending a mixed message to the lockerroom if Smith got the job back and got reinjured (that Kaep was just there and screwed up).

Having said that, I don't see the benefit of telling one or the other that this is theirs regardless of performance. I think both are and would be working as hard as they could and that's what you want; the lockerroom, I believe truly believes in both and Harbaugh regardless of what he said; I think Kaep understands that he does not need to press to remain with the hot hand. He didn't get where he is by gunslinging, so he doesn't need to continue that.

Smith, I feel is professional, but it's a bonus to let him feel that the team may turn to him. I don't think he'd shut off if they said that it was Kaep the rest of the way, but there's no sense in tempting that. He's going to want to start and win, he's going to want to audition, etc. But, as a coach, you need to maintain the subconcious interest and attention with even a hard worker like Smith.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I agree with Warty. At first I thought the team could trade him to a team like KC, Vikings, or Arizona, because I thought Smith had a cap friendly deal where they could bring him in for training camp and cut him if he didn't win the starting job without having to pay him any guaranteed money.

... but then news of his 7.5 million dollar poison pill came out. Gotta hand it to his agent, that was a pretty smart way of making sure Smith was either starting as a 49er or given a chance to start somewhere else if CK took over this year.

When people kept saying that Smith had to come back to the same deal after first rejecting it, I suggested that this is what the agent added - the start me or let me leave. Someone here claimed that Smith was initially given a deal that had less guarenteed and more spread out - something that paid more if starting (incentive laden) and minimal if not, so we could keep him as a backup. This was a smart move by the agent and a good one for Smith.

Smith won't be traded, he'll be cut. Schlereth suggested that Roman would leave and take Alex with him - to Arizona. He seems to think both Wisenhent and his lame QBs are out. I don't believe it, but wouldn't be surprised if he is fired and if Roman leaves to be a HC. This assumes Lindley isn't showing something by then.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree that he won't be traded, but I think that 21 QBR number is a little low for consideration. I think if they use the QBR at all, they'll take into account that, right or wrongly, Smith was top ten this year. I don't think they'll put that much stock in that number either QBR number. I think they'll look at physical capabilities, age, mental makeup, how he's done with similar offenses and personnel, etc. So far, all of these are trending negative.

He has increased his stock, just not enough to be traded for and not enough to demand more than a stopgap job and a lower contract. I would like him to start somewhere outside of this division - not because he'd beat us, but rather to be able to watch with some separation. I don't want to root for him and against him at the same time. Assuming he wouldn't win the AFC, being there would be great for me because I could root for him to do well without having to consider what doing well would do for us. I know most don't care what happens to him, but I hope he does well, and I don't think it'll be at our expense. I won't root for his team, though.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Harbaugh makes another bold decision - ESPN

This article is right, but the odd thing was, the only reason I thought Harbaugh might go to Smith was because everyone was saying it was a no brainer to go to Kaep. Going back to Smith would be him doing whatever he wanted, despite/in spite of the media. But I knew he cares about winning more than being the contrarian, so Kaep was my guess. Harbaugh can be unpredictable at times, so I wasn't 100% sure. More like 99%.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Harbaugh makes another bold decision - ESPN

This article is right, but the odd thing was, the only reason I thought Harbaugh might go to Smith was because everyone was saying it was a no brainer to go to Kaep. Going back to Smith would be him doing whatever he wanted, despite/in spite of the media. But I knew he cares about winning more than being the contrarian, so Kaep was my guess. Harbaugh can be unpredictable at times, so I wasn't 100% sure. More like 99%.

I don't think that's true at all. In fact, I think it's split right down the middle.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think Smith is that kind of guy, but I am. I said earlier that what I think would be cool was if Kaepernick suffered a minor injury early in the NFC Championship game that would only keep him out of that game and then Smith came in and led the team to the Super Bowl where Kaepernick then led them to victory. That would be a fitting send off for Smith. I'm sure he considers this the final insult that he's willing to bear from the 49ers and will leave.

I'm just getting caught up in this thread, so this may have been pointed out, but this would parallel the Brady/Bledsoe situation perfectly. Brady got injured in the divisional round forcing Bledsoe to play the AFC Championship, then Brady played in the Super Bowl.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think that's true at all. In fact, I think it's split right down the middle.

Ok, I just got a different impression from what I saw. Notable people I saw pro-Smith starting (not pro-Smith being better): Jerry Rice (experience), Steve Young (he was more upset with the indecisiveness), Mark Schlereth, Mike Golic, Stephen A. Smith (before the Saints game and more because of not being able to go back if Kaep injured/struggled). Everyone else seemed to be thinking long-term and felt Kaep was already better.

imac_21

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I would have to confirm this but I think the trading window for the upcoming season begins before roster bonuses are due.

My understanding is that roster bonus dates are scheduled individually with contracts.

I know that Peyton last year couldn't have been traded because his 27M bonus was scheduled for before the new league year began, meaning that the Colts would have had to pay him before the trade window opened.

I don't know the due date of Smith's bonus. Usually they are scheduled for the first day of the league year.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My understanding is that roster bonus dates are scheduled individually with contracts.

I know that Peyton last year couldn't have been traded because his 27M bonus was scheduled for before the new league year began, meaning that the Colts would have had to pay him before the trade window opened.

I don't know the due date of Smith's bonus. Usually they are scheduled for the first day of the league year.

1 Million is in March, 7.5 million is in April. I don't know when the league year is, but I know it was around March 13th this year.

I think this was a start me or let me leave poison pill the agent added to the original deal. It was reportedly different but not overall much more than the first offer. It had more "guaranteed" and incentives but as you can see, wasn't really guaranteed. Someone said that the original deal would have been more friendly to the Niners to keep him as a backup affordably if not starting and offer starters money if starting (a set of incentives that would be easy if starting, impossible if from the bench). This is a start me or let me go kind of thing.

My thinking is that this (the new deal) was the plan for the Niners the whole time. But while they waited for Manning, they had the original deal on the table that would have kept Smith if they got Manning. The agent, being the agent for both Smith and Manning, knew this and thus, advised Smith not to sign yet. When Smith knew about Manning, he then booked his flight to Manning last minute after most free agents were taken. Not saying Smith would have demanded much from the beginning, but knowing that Smith was coming back had to be further reason not to bother with Smith, given he wasn't elite or can't miss. Once Manning was gone, they went to Plan B., the new deal.

Last edited by a moderator:

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm just getting caught up in this thread, so this may have been pointed out, but this would parallel the Brady/Bledsoe situation perfectly. Brady got injured in the divisional round forcing Bledsoe to play the AFC Championship, then Brady played in the Super Bowl.

Yes. That is exactly the scenario I was thinking of.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Though the title sells Harbaugh short, due to the fact that other coaches make safe choices all the time (though I wouldn't necessarily call going agains the Giants in 2013 playoffs, "safer" when they are perhaps more doubts on us winning with Smith), I thought this was a good, well balanced article. It acknowledges without the concussion, Smith would be the starter, and how it seems unfair due to Smith's good play prior, but it also debunks the claim that you shouldn't lose your job due to injury by stating that Alex ultimately lost it by Kaep playing better and giving the 49ERS more options. It has a quote from John Elway about the matter in general.

Harbaugh made the call any coach would -- Between The Tackles - ESPN