• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Harbaugh and Roman got too cute

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the end result is 1-2. There isn't any doubt in my mind that they are both great offensive minds, and are the right coaches for this team, but sometimes last year it was evident that they were trying to get a little cute and it backfired. This year they are even trying more of that stuff and it has completely blown up in their face.

1. You try cute stuff after you have established your offense. You don't start the game with that crap.
2. You try cute stuff when you have proven, veteran pass-catchers that can improvise and actually get open.

Basically, we need to get the fuck back to basics. Power, man on man blocking. Off-tackle and stretch-toss (not to Dixon) runs. Play-action, and then read-option once we've established our BASE offense. We're not gonna move the ball through the air when Kaepernick barely has a season's worth of games under his built and a bunch of rookie and no-name WRs. Seriously. Get a grip. Stop trying to outsmart opposing coaches.

Let's go back to the basics before it's too late.

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
They certainly forgot that they were a tough, run-first team.

And it's not like the running game wasn't working today; they just forgot it existed.

RoboticDreams

JM8CH10
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh is in love with what Kaep did LAST year but its not working anymore. Time to run the ball and open up the passing lanes a bit.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Harbaugh is in love with what Kaep did LAST year but its not working anymore. Time to run the ball and open up the passing lanes a bit.

But we're not doing what worked last year. We're not doing much power running, play-action, or even read-option it seems like. We're just lining up Kaepernick in the shotgun straight up and expecting him to beat teams with a marginal WR cast.

We aren't trying to dominate at the LOS and run the ball like we did the last two seasons.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just get back to work and practice.

spacedoodoopistol

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I think we've seen a tendency for Roman to try to outsmart the other team and capitalize on their weaknesses instead of just playing to our strengths. And its mostly worked. Option vs. some teams, passing heavy vs. others, a variety of attacks. But I think sometimes he either misreads the opposition, or like you say just gets too cute (I would say overthinks it). I could imagine he and the rest of the braintrust poring over film and thinking they spot all these weaknesses they can take advantage of, but instead it backfires sometimes for whatever reason.

Its been more extreme with Kap, because he has so many tools to use, but it was always an issue even with Smith. For example, we had the game vs. NYG two years ago where everyone expected Niners to run, and they came out throwing and did great. But then did the same thing last year and NYG ate it up and killed us.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we've seen a tendency for Roman to try to outsmart the other team and capitalize on their weaknesses instead of just playing to our strengths. And its mostly worked. Option vs. some teams, passing heavy vs. others, a variety of attacks. But I think sometimes he either misreads the opposition, or like you say just gets too cute (I would say overthinks it). I could imagine he and the rest of the braintrust poring over film and thinking they spot all these weaknesses they can take advantage of, but instead it backfires sometimes for whatever reason.

Its been more extreme with Kap, because he has so many tools to use, but it was always an issue even with Smith. For example, we had the game vs. NYG two years ago where everyone expected Niners to run, and they came out throwing and did great. But then did the same thing last year and NYG ate it up and killed us.

Well said. I think we have to go back and play to our strengths instead of playing to the opponents weaknesses. The coaches gotta remember that Kaep is still a young QB. We aren't gonna play the Packers every week.

charles ponzi

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
With Smith, we ran the Alabama offense. With Kap, we run (or try) the Baylor offense.

Alabama win Championships. Baylor wins the Holiday Bowl.

Flyingiguana

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and the end result is 1-2. There isn't any doubt in my mind that they are both great offensive minds, and are the right coaches for this team, but sometimes last year it was evident that they were trying to get a little cute and it backfired. This year they are even trying more of that stuff and it has completely blown up in their face.

1. You try cute stuff after you have established your offense. You don't start the game with that crap.
2. You try cute stuff when you have proven, veteran pass-catchers that can improvise and actually get open.

Basically, we need to get the fuck back to basics. Power, man on man blocking. Off-tackle and stretch-toss (not to Dixon) runs. Play-action, and then read-option once we've established our BASE offense. We're not gonna move the ball through the air when Kaepernick barely has a season's worth of games under his built and a bunch of rookie and no-name WRs. Seriously. Get a grip. Stop trying to outsmart opposing coaches.

Let's go back to the basics before it's too late.

offensive line not holding up and receivers not getting open. hopefully vernon can get back.

but i agree we need to get back to the basics. the run game was working on our one decent drive, then where did it go? we shoulda just kept running it.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Another missing item: the long bomb. Do we ever throw it? Now, clearly we don't have a great receiver for it, but just tossing one long and deep even if you know it very unlikely to connect has some value: the defense has to respect that you at least might throw a long one. But we never do and they can see that on tape, thus play everyone tighter.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why we just go back to the same offense we played last year.

zman1527

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
we have no burners outside of VD(n/a) for deep threats.....

Understood. Just send Kyle Williams deep and throw it 10 yards over his head. At least let the defense know you might try it. Seriously, now many bombs do we try, one every 3 or 4 games? Gotta keep the D honest.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
patton is suppose to be a deep threat.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My beef is not necessarily the game planning but rather the lack of adjustments once a game plan has shown to be ineffective. I totally agree with Clyde with regards to sticking to our strengths and getting back to basics. At the same time, if something has proven to be ineffective after a few plays, a quarter, hell, even a half....time to switch it up. It doesn't make any sense at all. We ran the ball down their throats yesterday, ripping off 5-10 yards per rush. Then we completely abandon the run and try passing to our ineffective WR that couldn't find openings? We start trying to run read option/pistol garbage that pretty much didn't show any sort of positive yardage? It's bullshit. Gore and our OL is supposed to be our bread and butter. When we have our backs against the wall, we power run and expand the offense from there, from play action on. Use the run to set up the pass.

dredinis21

Swollen Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Somewhat off topic, did anyone notice that Kap didn't really audible at all yesterday?