• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Handzus it is...

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looks like he's going back to two scoring lines, a shutdown 3rd line, and a youthful energy 4th line.

Mitchell - Handzus - ??????

Miettinen would fit nicely there as well as make it a somewhat respectable line offensively.

Miettinen would be a great addition. If I remember correctly, he and Koivu had a great run at the beginning of one season as well. As long as he's got speed, I'm for it. I'd consider that a very successful (even though quiet) UFA day.

ads_2006

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I also think Wilson doesnt want to get bogged down with long term contracts

i've seen a lot of 3 - 4 year deals for 3rd liners/grinders today. I dont think wilson wants to commit that much with Burns and Couture coming up for contracts.

Before some of these signings for us, I believe only Nitty and Mitchell came off the books next year

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think its a great move honestly, Zeus is very underrated on the defensive side of the puck, he just isnt flashy so its probably why a common observer thinks the guy isnt so great.

He doesnt have to make hustle diving plays for a great defensive play because he is already in position and isnt making up for being out of place. He is a moose in the faceoffs circles and does go to the net and is good down low no the cycle and controlling the puck on the boards.

Sharks lack that on every line except for Clowe.

Side not i wish the sharks could land Jochen Hecht, assuming he is healthy

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think its a great move honestly, Zeus is very underrated on the defensive side of the puck, he just isnt flashy so its probably why a common observer thinks the guy isnt so great.

He doesnt have to make hustle diving plays for a great defensive play because he is already in position and isnt making up for being out of place. He is a moose in the faceoffs circles and does go to the net and is good down low no the cycle and controlling the puck on the boards.

Sharks lack that on every line except for Clowe.

Side not i wish the sharks could land Jochen Hecht, assuming he is healthy

Hecht has one year left at $3m on his current contract. I think that may be out of Wilsons price range now.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My initial reaction is 'why, we need more speed'. But Handzus is a good checking line center. The only thing he isn't, is fast. Scared of his age and for two years. Good thing his game doesn't depend on speed. Solid signing. Doesn't address team speed which I believe must be buffed up.

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Hecht has one year left at $3m on his current contract. I think that may be out of Wilsons price range now.

Boo! I like that guy, size and speed and a little bit of scoring to boot on top of being good on the defensive side of the puck

rares

Winning. Duh!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't really mind this signing that much... I think he'll pleasantly surprise a few of you, like someone already said.

Definitely a good piece for that 3rd line...

bdave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if I remember correctly zeus dominated the sharks on faceoffs in the playoffs. Something crazy like 11 straight wins in a row. dominant player, I think we'll come to enjoy this guy.

but how's our speed though, that's the only thing I'm concerned about with this team?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wonder if this signing has anything to do with Handzus possibly mentoring Viedensky. A 4th line of McGinn/Ferriero - Viedensky - Desjardins may work.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wonder if this signing has anything to do with Handzus possibly mentoring Viedensky. A 4th line of McGinn/Ferriero - Viedensky - Desjardins may work.

What is Viedensky's game like?

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What is Viedensky's game like?

Almost exactly the same as Handzus. He's a 3rd line shutdown center with some scoring ability. Good at faceoffs, good along the boards, very responsible in his own end, fair speed, not as physical as he could be for his size.

SJVP408

Shark Attack!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Almost exactly the same as Handzus. He's a 3rd line shutdown center with some scoring ability. Good at faceoffs, good along the boards, very responsible in his own end, fair speed, not as physical as he could be for his size.

Sounds good. If he's going to win a 4th line spot, TMac better play him at least 6-8 minutes a night. Otherwise let him develop in Woostah. I see he's only 20.

Last edited by a moderator:

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
None of those guys fit the need Wilson was trying to address with Handzus. He wanted someone great on the PK and faceoffs. Those were two areas he said he wanted to improve/replace this offseason and he accomplished that with both the Vandermeer (PK) and Handzus (Both) signing.

Outside of Kobesew I'm glad Wilson didn't match dollars or term with any of those you list.

Totally agree Cmon. I still don't get why people are so quick to jump on Wilson for any move he makes or doesn't make. Other than giving Wallin and Huskins a little more $$ than he should have, he's made very good moves. Some people will never be happy, and just bitch about anything....
Handzus is a solid pick up. He'll be fine as the 3rd line C, and will help out the PK a ton.

23sharks

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
It looks like he's going back to two scoring lines, a shutdown 3rd line, and a youthful energy 4th line.

Mitchell - Handzus - ??????

Miettinen would fit nicely there as well as make it a somewhat respectable line offensively.

Miettinen is the guy I thought would be a really good fit too. Not sure how much cap room they have left.
You mentioned how Wellwood was pushed around in the playoffs, and I don't think I've ever seen an NHL player get knocked on his ass more than Wellwood does. He definitely came in and helped the team, but he's so weak on his skates....