• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Handzus it is...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
2yrs, 5M... argh! not a good signing, though maybe he'll be better than he was in LA.

Dougie screws the pooch again there. I dont get doug wilson at all. Why does he throw big money at shit players? Huskins, then wallin, and now handzus. These guys arent any good!

Oh well, maybe he'll be a serviceable third liner... if we're lucky.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I'd actually consider that a fair price for Handzus. Not sure what the point of signing another center is unless Wilson plans on moving Pavelski to wing and back up to the top six.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Here is a list of guys I would rather have had who have signed equal or less than that:
Kobesew
Sturm (his is also only 1 year = better for resigning burns and cooch)
Sullivan
torres
Talbot

And the list of guys signing at 3.5M or less (vandermeer+handzus) that 'id rather have is also long:

Ryder
Hejda
upshall
Vrbata

And that doesnt include all the UFA's that will be signed for better deals. I'm incredibly disappointed...

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'd actually consider that a fair price for Handzus. Not sure what the point of signing another center is unless Wilson plans on moving Pavelski to wing and back up to the top six.

really? A fair price? He had all of 30 pts last year (10 of which were on the PP) and he is already 34 (he'll be 35 by the PO's next year). And, that's in over 17 mins of ice time. He's average at best defensively, and just doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

There are younger, quicker options out there for that kind of money.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
btw, probably cooch can play the wing.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truthfully we don't know whether or not Wilson made offers to Ryder, Hejda, Upshall, or Vrbata. Would I rather have those guys? Of course, but maybe they didn't want to come to San Jose and labeling Handzus as a "shit" player is a stretch. Handzus should be a good third liner and solid on the PK.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Here is a list of guys I would rather have had who have signed equal or less than that:
Kobesew
Sturm (his is also only 1 year = better for resigning burns and cooch)
Sullivan
torres
Talbot

And the list of guys signing at 3.5M or less (vandermeer+handzus) that 'id rather have is also long:

Ryder
Hejda
upshall
Vrbata

And that doesnt include all the UFA's that will be signed for better deals. I'm incredibly disappointed...

None of those guys fit the need Wilson was trying to address with Handzus. He wanted someone great on the PK and faceoffs. Those were two areas he said he wanted to improve/replace this offseason and he accomplished that with both the Vandermeer (PK) and Handzus (Both) signing.

Outside of Kobesew I'm glad Wilson didn't match dollars or term with any of those you list.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I hope you're right mac. From what I've seen, I have been quite unimpressed from what I saw in handzus since he came to LA. Also, his play seems to be seriously in decline, which makes sense given his age. For that kind of money, he better be outstanding on the PK, and better score at least 15-20 goals. The third line C is a very important player.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
really? A fair price? He had all of 30 pts last year (10 of which were on the PP) and he is already 34 (he'll be 35 by the PO's next year). And, that's in over 17 mins of ice time. He's average at best defensively, and just doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me.

There are younger, quicker options out there for that kind of money.

You're talking about one of the best PK forwards in the league. He's extremely skilled, though slow as hell, but will score you 10-15 goals and 30-35 points. Couple that along with his PK ability and I'll take it for $2.5m anyday.

Nimesis23

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I like this move a lot actually. Ever since Manny left we've been missing a guy who can handle most of the PK load and win faceoffs, and now Handzus can fill that role. The 2.5 mil is a bit high, but he is also capable of scoring and playmaking to a degree that Manny and Nichol both were not, which explains the high price. Can anyone tell me they wouldn't rather have 2.5 million dedicated to a guy like that than a pylon like Wallin? I like the move, and the Vandermeer addition as well. Dougie did a good job filling the holes we had with an eye to the playoffs.

sjrules99

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I'm really glad all of you feel so good about it. If he is the answer on the PK and can contribute offensively, then great. I'll reserve judgment until the PO's.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the importance of a third line center and I think he will be good for somewhere around 15 goals. Although it would be nice, we don't necessarily need him to be the 40+ point scorer that he used to be. We need him to win faceoffs and be a force on the PK, I think he can give us that with some added scoring touch for two years.

Bowlby

The DON
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
i think its a solid signing as long as he does well at the 2 areas already pointed out.

MacJ88

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On a side note...bye bye Wellwood?

Cbrower91

Donkey Bonker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wilson already said after the seto trade poovalski was moving back up to the second line

SuperFlyer13

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
None of those guys fit the need Wilson was trying to address with Handzus. He wanted someone great on the PK and faceoffs. Those were two areas he said he wanted to improve/replace this offseason and he accomplished that with both the Vandermeer (PK) and Handzus (Both) signing.

Outside of Kobesew I'm glad Wilson didn't match dollars or term with any of those you list.

This is exactly what you get with Zues, you'll like the signing later in the year , trust me.

filosofy29

Back
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kobesew - Wouldn't have minded Kobasew. However, ever since Boston hasn't been much.
Sturm (his is also only 1 year = better for resigning burns and cooch) - Are you serious? He'll go down as one of my top 5 favorite Sharks, but did you watch him play last year?
Sullivan - He would have been pretty good, but he's injury prone as hell and small.
torres - Why? Other than hitting people, what is he good for? He's not defensively responsible.
Talbot - For 5 years you'd like this guy??? This guy reeks of buyout after year 2.

Ryder - Ryder would have been ok, but he's streaky as hell. Boston wanted to buy him out the year before their cup win.
Hejda - Wanted him too. That said, he is a little long in the tooth at the end of his contract.
upshall - You saw what he signed for right? Long Term money for him wasn't the answer.
Vrbata - See Lighting, Tampa Bay. This kid only plays well in the Desert.

All in all, Zeus had a really strong season last year. I know my buddy who is a Kings fan doesn't like that he came up North.

Cmon_WTF

Is that...cabbage?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Wilson already said after the seto trade poovalski was moving back up to the second line

It looks like he's going back to two scoring lines, a shutdown 3rd line, and a youthful energy 4th line.

Mitchell - Handzus - ??????

Miettinen would fit nicely there as well as make it a somewhat respectable line offensively.