• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Handicapping Russell Wilson's Landing Spots

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like your take there and can't disagree with anything. Just a thought about DK he is unlike what Wilson has had.
You do have a valid point on DK cause there were games where he had zero targets in the first half and end the games with 2 or 3 catches and he was visibly pissed off. I think with our new OC we'll see a better game plan and get DK more involved like he was in the first half of the season.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You could be right about Pete not wanting to do another full on rebuild but I don't see him wanting to step down either and don't think he'd be fired.
He's trying to make his QB happy. Took his advice and hired the OC, o-line is a must wait and see with FA/draft coming up and I believe he'll listen more to RW during film session and practice. I feel the day Russ no longer is taking snaps is the day Pete retires.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah the Seahawks have tried to address the OL in the past, but have never been able to strike gold like they have at other positions RW QB 3rd round, Baldwin UDFA WR, Chancellor 5th round safety, Richard Sherman CB 5th round. Instead their picks have been uninspired at OL. Other teams have been unlucky at filling certain positions also, it's just the way it goes and nobody hits on all positions.
I do think it's more likely RW gets traded next season than Pete Carroll stepping down or getting fired. Mostly because having Pete leave does nothing for some of the real obstacles to succeed and by that I mean cap space and better draft position. If RW does get traded next season I'm for a full on rebuild under PC again. Some of the funniest season were the years the Seahawks did just that when Pete arrived. Not that I'm hoping for RW to get traded. I'm happy to struggle with the cap and such and be a playoff team that could get hot at the right time.

Pete Carroll will be 71 in a few months. The oldest NFL head coach in history was 73.

Ultimately it comes to a question whether Pete was still the best choice and still up for being an NFL head coach. I never even considered this question until this last off-season. IMO, he clearly had a conflict with Russ and maybe with Schotty about how the offense was run and it essentially broke the system. Whether that is because no one can stand up to Pete or Pete is too stuck in his ways or what have you, Pete is at the point whether most NFL head coaches fall off a cliff.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure at this moment if they are SB contenders but if they don't get past the second round possibly Pete steps down. I never had a thought of Pete being fired but another 1 and done puts him on the hot seat if he doesn't step down next offseason. Let's hope for a good FA/draft to right the ship.

If it comes down to Pete or Russ, what do you think the Seahawks should/will do?

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Franchise QB will usually win out and move Pete upstairs.

Yeah I don't think they fire Pete, per se. But ultimately, the team needs to plan for the future. Pete has a couple of seasons left. Russ could be here for 10 more years.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Carroll will be 71 in a few months. The oldest NFL head coach in history was 73.

Ultimately it comes to a question whether Pete was still the best choice and still up for being an NFL head coach. I never even considered this question until this last off-season. IMO, he clearly had a conflict with Russ and maybe with Schotty about how the offense was run and it essentially broke the system. Whether that is because no one can stand up to Pete or Pete is too stuck in his ways or what have you, Pete is at the point whether most NFL head coaches fall off a cliff.
Yeah Pete is a old dude, but then RW is becoming a grey beard himself. I don't see Pete as the problem. I see lack of cap space , poor draft position as the reason the Seahawks haven't taken the next step from playoff team to Super Bowl team. Those two problems have lead to taking risks on players and those risks overall haven't panned out, at least not yet. Hiring a new HC is not going to make those problems go away. Trading RW would go a long ways to changing those problems. So firing Pete solves nothing, trading RW changes everything as I see it. So if one has to go.......

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah Pete is a old dude, but then RW is becoming a grey beard himself. I don't see Pete as the problem. I see lack of cap space , poor draft position as the reason the Seahawks haven't taken the next step from playoff team to Super Bowl team. Those two problems have lead to taking risks on players and those risks overall haven't panned out, at least not yet. Hiring a new HC is not going to make those problems go away. Trading RW would go a long ways to changing those problems. So firing Pete solves nothing, trading RW changes everything as I see it. So if one has to go.......

Trading Russell Wilson and hoping we find a QB is basically like buying a lottery ticket.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Russell Wilson and hoping we find a QB is basically like buying a lottery ticket.
Which is why I hope it doesn't come to that. Much rather find a way to succeed despite the cap problem and the poor draft selection problem. Those are the actual reasons the Seahawks haven't taken the next step. Paying your franchise QB after the rookie contract, plus paying other deserving players top dollar is a common problem around the league. Blaming the staff for these problems rather then accept salaries and poor draft position is not a solution. Yet mega rich players want to act like it's not their contract that makes it difficult, they want to point the finger else where and that brings yet another problem to the table. Hopefully this season brings more success then just making the playoffs ( which in reality is so much better then the decades of being irrelevant ). That would help a bunch.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Replacing a top 5 QB is more difficult than finding a HC. Remove Russ and this franchise goes back 10 steps. He may becoming a grey beard but he still has a good 10yrs left in him. I don't buy the poor draft position as NE has been drafting towards the end of the draft for the past 20yrs and have 6 rings to show. Our problem is the FO has whiffed on more picks than hits and that's why they are in the shape they are now. Trading Russ solves nothing if is production isn't replaced.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to use the Packers as a example. Once Rogers got paid, the Packers were in the pickle of not being able to put the best roster around him and Rogers was pointing a finger at the HC and complaining, so the Packers fired the HC and what has changed? Packers make the playoffs but not the superbowl, Packers are now facing the problem of losing key players like Aaron Jones, Rogers continues to complain he has no weapons.
It's a nasty catch 22 for NFL teams.
As for NE, well they didn't actual draft well or at least not exceptional, rather BB was able to cherry pick players from teams like the Bills and Dolphins and turn them into key cogs for the Patriots. Just listen to Pats fans complain by how BB runs the draft, how he can't draft a WR to save his soul, how he keeps trading down. Lack of good draft position is a real thing not some myth. It's why teams rise up to the SuperBowl then fall back ( NE being the exception that proves the rule).
The Bucs were able to build a great roster because they didn't have to pay a mega deal for a franchise QB, they drafted Winston and since he was a rookie they had the cap space to gather a great roster. Then Brady was brought in at very reasonable price ( due to his age) to put the cherry on top.
Yes the FO has whiffed on players, it goes hand in hand with shitty draft position and having to reach for unpolished gems and hoping.
Let me be clear, I don't wish for RW to be traded. It is that hard to find a franchise QB. However swapping out the HC isn't addressing to real problem of taking the next step for the Seahawks. Hopefully RW will realize this.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure at this moment if they are SB contenders but if they don't get past the second round possibly Pete steps down. I never had a thought of Pete being fired but another 1 and done puts him on the hot seat if he doesn't step down next offseason. Let's hope for a good FA/draft to right the ship.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would like to use the Packers as a example. Once Rogers got paid, the Packers were in the pickle of not being able to put the best roster around him and Rogers was pointing a finger at the HC and complaining, so the Packers fired the HC and what has changed? Packers make the playoffs but not the superbowl, Packers are now facing the problem of losing key players like Aaron Jones, Rogers continues to complain he has no weapons.
It's a nasty catch 22 for NFL teams.
As for NE, well they didn't actual draft well or at least not exceptional, rather BB was able to cherry pick players from teams like the Bills and Dolphins and turn them into key cogs for the Patriots. Just listen to Pats fans complain by how BB runs the draft, how he can't draft a WR to save his soul, how he keeps trading down. Lack of good draft position is a real thing not some myth. It's why teams rise up to the SuperBowl then fall back ( NE being the exception that proves the rule).
The Bucs were able to build a great roster because they didn't have to pay a mega deal for a franchise QB, they drafted Winston and since he was a rookie they had the cap space to gather a great roster. Then Brady was brought in at very reasonable price ( due to his age) to put the cherry on top.
Yes the FO has whiffed on players, it goes hand in hand with shitty draft position and having to reach for unpolished gems and hoping.
Let me be clear, I don't wish for RW to be traded. It is that hard to find a franchise QB. However swapping out the HC isn't addressing to real problem of taking the next step for the Seahawks. Hopefully RW will realize this.
No team will be able to assemble the perfect roster with a salary cap. The Packers problems lies with the QB not making plays when he's needed too. Rodgers has had talent around him and yes MCcarthy isn't a great coach but tough to blame him when the QB chokes in the playoffs. Saw it again this year but with a different coach.

NE's sore spot at WR is our sore spot at o-line. No one hits on all picks but they do enough through the draft/FA to put a SB contending team out there whether they pick 28/29/30/31/32. Yes Brady is the key but he too needs players around them and he elevated their game to SB level. Take Brady out of the equation and look at what the Pats are. Take RW out of the equation and Seattle will be in the same boat.

Swapping out the HC doesn't solve the FO issues, that's on JS to fix those problems but bringing in a new HC with a different view and scheme could do wonders. Now in no way am I suggesting they should have fired Pete but gun to my head if I had to choose who goes than it's Pete.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NE is a oddity, the norm are the Rams after the SuperBowl, the Falcons after the SuperBowl, the Eagles after the SuperBowl, the 49ers after the SuperBowl.
I'm 100% behind keeping both Pete and RW and hopefully it works out. However I can't support the one causes the separation.

snoopgoofdog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade for Deshawn Watson and this years picks number 1 as well as number 3, I know I know Wilsons bullshit no trade clause, would love to see it though.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not to mention that Chicago is also in a tight cap situation. They are currently about $7 million OVER the projected cap, and they still have to deal with WR Robinson, whom they may have to tag.
They would have as much trouble as the Seahawks would pulling off such a trade.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trade for Deshawn Watson and this years picks number 1 as well as number 3, I know I know Wilsons bullshit no trade clause, would love to see it though.
Houston gives up their 24-year-old QB who had the most passing yardage and second-highest QB rating and their #1 and #3 draft pick for a 32-year-old QB who fell off a cliff in the second half last year?. LOL. No. Houston's GM would be garrotted.