• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greg Williams Fired

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still astounded they ever hired Gase to begin with. He failed in Miami (a Jets division rival), taking a 6-10 team and briefly getting them to 10-6, before returning to medicrity and never developed Tannehill, who left to go to the Titans and lead that team to the playoffs. So, now Gase has failed to elevate the Jets and has failed to develop Darnold, who's almost guaranteed to be traded elsewhere this offseason. The next team that hires Gase better be down a level or two (college, or better yet high school).

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm still astounded they ever hired Gase to begin with. He failed in Miami (a Jets division rival), taking a 6-10 team and briefly getting them to 10-6, before returning to medicrity and never developed Tannehill, who left to go to the Titans and lead that team to the playoffs. So, now Gase has failed to elevate the Jets and has failed to develop Darnold, who's almost guaranteed to be traded elsewhere this offseason. The next team that hires Gase better be down a level or two (college, or better yet high school).

This will be the most important Jets coaching hire in their history

flyingelvis

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well we are talking about the Jets here. So you need to throw out rationale.

However, I do think they are carefully navigating to the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes and this shouldn't upset this, as long as they keep Gase around to maintain necessary dysfunction.

The question is, does Trevor take the path of Eli Manning to stay out of this mess? Or is the NY market too big of an opportunity to dismiss?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

However, I do think they are carefully navigating to the Trevor Lawrence sweepstakes and this shouldn't upset this, as long as they keep Gase around to maintain necessary dysfunction.

The question is, does Trevor take the path of Eli Manning to stay out of this mess? Or is the NY market too big of an opportunity to dismiss?

Trevor will fail in NY as well unless they hire the right OC and fix that o-line. This team is far from a "plug in QB prospect and succeed" situation.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Eli had a bit more leverage because the Chargers liked Rivers enough to not fight him on it. Elway forced his way out of Indy because the threat of going and playing for the Yankees was a legitimate issue the Colts had to contend with.

when the Jets draft Lawrence, I’m not sure what leverage Lawrence will have if he wants to be an NFL QB

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gase will be gone as soon as the whistle blows at the Jets last game. They are planning to get Trvor Lawrence and they also plan to hire Josh McDaniels to coach him.

As far as Greg Williams goes, every defense he's coached have tried to be bullies and some have succeeded and others have not. When they haven't been bullies, he's instilled a "Hurt them" mentality and it resulted often in other players getting injured. I can't stand the guy's defensive mantra. I think his time in the NFL may be over but he'll find a college team somewhere that needs a headhunter.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gase survives scoring 3 points over 2 games against the Dolphins but Williams is fired after 1 spectacularly bad play? Whatever. Both were going to be fired before the end of the month any way. Williams just got Christmas off.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Kinda bothers me when a young punk out of college, no matter how talented, wants to dictate who they go play for. You oughta be happy you're going to the pros, getting one of those coveted first-round rookie contracts. Yeah, I know, you wanna win, but the pro's ain't like college where you get to decide to go to a blue-blood all by yourself.

Yeah it's the Jets, but like you said, it's also the New York market.

Used 2 B Hu

Baredevil
Hoopla Cash
$ 977.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gase will be gone as soon as the whistle blows at the Jets last game. They are planning to get Trvor Lawrence and they also plan to hire Josh McDaniels to coach him.

Please god no

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Gase hire truly dumbfounded everybody even remotely familiar with the game of football except the Jets owner. Or maybe he was crazy like a fox and could see Lawrence was in future plans so he hired the most incompetent boob he could find to turn the team into a mess.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mayyyyyybe Williams called the zero blitz just to get fired?

unsure james franco GIF

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kinda bothers me when a young punk out of college, no matter how talented, wants to dictate who they go play for. You oughta be happy you're going to the pros, getting one of those coveted first-round rookie contracts. Yeah, I know, you wanna win, but the pro's ain't like college where you get to decide to go to a blue-blood all by yourself.

Yeah it's the Jets, but like you said, it's also the New York market.

And in Trevors defense, it’s so far a media creation that he wouldn’t go to the Jets, him or his camp haven’t implied that at all so far

BrownEyedGirl

Let's Go Islanders!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A part of me thinks that the Jets should trade their #1 pick for multiple players or picks. I know Trevor Lawrence is a hugely talented QB but he alone won't turn that team around. Trade him for multiple picks, trade him for other current players to help shore up your weaknesses, trade for for picks/players and maybe even a coach. If you take Lawrence in the first round and maybe find yourself a new coach to replace Gase but then Lawrence gets hurt in week 2, now what?

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A part of me thinks that the Jets should trade their #1 pick for multiple players or picks. I know Trevor Lawrence is a hugely talented QB but he alone won't turn that team around. Trade him for multiple picks, trade him for other current players to help shore up your weaknesses, trade for for picks/players and maybe even a coach. If you take Lawrence in the first round and maybe find yourself a new coach to replace Gase but then Lawrence gets hurt in week 2, now what?

never ever trade a franchise QB

bengals weren’t even picking up the phone for Burrow last season, and his hype wasn’t even close to this guy

BrownEyedGirl

Let's Go Islanders!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
never ever trade a franchise QB

bengals weren’t even picking up the phone for Burrow last season, and his hype wasn’t even close to this guy
I don't know. If you look at past #1 picks an argument can be made that it's a higher percentage chance that the person doesn't change the fortunes of your team for the long term. Look at the current four most likely MVP candidates in the NFL with Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, Roethlesberger, and none were the #1 pick. Meanwhile you have four former #1 picks currently in the NFL that haven't really lived up to the expectations, Mayfield, Goff, Winston, and Stafford. I guess my point is that you have a better shot at success if you have a very good QB with a high ceiling and with a well rounded or at least a developing team than if you still have the same team and a draft pick with possibly unrealistic expectations because of their draft pick number. If the Jets get Lawrence and replace Gase then they still pretty much have the same team that is currently winless. They might get a few diamonds in the rough somewhere in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round or a veteran in free agency, but you're still putting all of your chips on a rookie.

DirtDirtDirt

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know. If you look at past #1 picks an argument can be made that it's a higher percentage chance that the person doesn't change the fortunes of your team for the long term. Look at the current four most likely MVP candidates in the NFL with Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson, Roethlesberger, and none were the #1 pick. Meanwhile you have four former #1 picks currently in the NFL that haven't really lived up to the expectations, Mayfield, Goff, Winston, and Stafford. I guess my point is that you have a better shot at success if you have a very good QB with a high ceiling and with a well rounded or at least a developing team than if you still have the same team and a draft pick with possibly unrealistic expectations because of their draft pick number. If the Jets get Lawrence and replace Gase then they still pretty much have the same team that is currently winless. They might get a few diamonds in the rough somewhere in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round or a veteran in free agency, but you're still putting all of your chips on a rookie.

It’s definitely a fair argument

But Lawrence is in the Peyton, Luck, Elway conversation as far as hype and expectation and it would be so Jets for them to pass on him, and he becomes Peyton and Elway. That’s just not a risk worth taking. And let’s be honest, even if you get 8 draft picks for him, you’ll probably miss on 4, just the way it usually goes. So watching this guy become an all timer while you got 4 pretty good players in return? Can’t do it IMO

BrownEyedGirl

Let's Go Islanders!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It’s definitely a fair argument

But Lawrence is in the Peyton, Luck, Elway conversation as far as hype and expectation and it would be so Jets for them to pass on him, and he becomes Peyton and Elway. That’s just not a risk worth taking. And let’s be honest, even if you get 8 draft picks for him, you’ll probably miss on 4, just the way it usually goes. So watching this guy become an all timer while you got 4 pretty good players in return? Can’t do it IMO
Fair enough. I hope he does turn the team around when it's all said and done. Good to chat with a fellow New Yorker though (assuming you are), even if you are a Yankees fan.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a stupid move by the Jets. Having Gregg Williams as defensive coordinator actually gives New York a better chance to lose, and they need to do that so they can get Trevor Lawrence, fire Gase, and keep the Jaguars from getting him.

They almost won yesterday which would've been a disaster given the Jags only have 1 win but Gregg came through in the clutch with the most atrocious defensive call of probably the last decade outside of Ken Norton blitzing 8 guys and playing the corners 20 yards off the line.