• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Caleb Williams

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I seen Dennis Rodman on tv the other day,and he still does..........dare to be different,nothing wrong with that..
I still vividly remember back in the day hating Dennis Rodman more than any other player in the NBA with the possible exception of Bill Lambeer. Then the Bulls signed him and suddenly I became a huge Dennis Rodman fan. I adopted the popular attitude back then that yeah, he's an asshole, but he's OUR asshole.

So regardless of how I felt about Caleb Williams early in the postseason draft talk, once the Bears select him with the 1st pick, I'm immediately becoming a huge Caleb Williams fan.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still vividly remember back in the day hating Dennis Rodman more than any other player in the NBA with the possible exception of Bill Lambeer. Then the Bulls signed him and suddenly I became a huge Dennis Rodman fan. I adopted the popular attitude back then that yeah, he's an asshole, but he's OUR asshole.

So regardless of how I felt about Caleb Williams early in the postseason draft talk, once the Bears select him with the 1st pick, I'm immediately becoming a huge Caleb Williams fan.

Hated the Bad Boys.......loved the worm when he came to Chicago myself,but hated him in Detroit also.......

Ever wstch The Last Dance......??

One episode had them playing each other,it was brutal out there.....shouldve named that series basketrawl.......

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I looked for it on Sportscenter after I read your post earlier,they must of ran a new one,because there was nothig about CW......

google is not your friend.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every throw and run Caleb made from 2023. Buckle down its over an hour an half long, but it gives you a primer of his skill set in actual game play.
I watched random spots. Often seemed to take a long time for things to develop, especially against better defenses. So I checked his average time to throw for 2023: 3.27 seconds.

Justin Fields was the slowest in the NFL last year at 3.12.

Can anybody find a list of how long these prospects hold the ball before throwing?

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can anybody find a list of how long these prospects hold the ball before throwing?
No list, but found this on the PFF site:

Williams owns the longest career average time-to-throw (3.27 seconds) among all quarterback prospects since 2017, which has led to a below-average 6.6% career sack rate, he’s at least done a nice job of not allowing that to result in a high turnover-worthy play rate (2.5%), providing a necessary balance to his high-end passing ability.

wilwhite

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No list, but found this on the PFF site:

Williams owns the longest career average time-to-throw (3.27 seconds) among all quarterback prospects since 2017, which has led to a below-average 6.6% career sack rate, he’s at least done a nice job of not allowing that to result in a high turnover-worthy play rate (2.5%), providing a necessary balance to his high-end passing ability.
Wasn't that basically the main knock on Fields? That he held the ball too long trying to do something spectacular?

Williams is probably better than Fields at actually doing the spectacular, but that combined with being meh against the best defenses makes me think he's overrated.

He could be overrated and still be the first Bears QB to crack 4K yards, though.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like everything I see and hear from this kid. Love that he's cocky. Love that he wants to be great and isn't afraid to say so.

Let's fucking go.

I really hate his cockiness, I hate that he cries in his mother's arm when he loses, hate his dad wanting part ownership before Caleb even took a snap.

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hate his cockiness, I hate that he cries in his mother's arm when he loses, hate his dad wanting part ownership before Caleb even took a snap.
agreed. As I watched the segment, I still cant help thinking that he is doing this for society so all the players understand how to throw it properly like he does.

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I watched random spots. Often seemed to take a long time for things to develop, especially against better defenses. So I checked his average time to throw for 2023: 3.27 seconds.

Justin Fields was the slowest in the NFL last year at 3.12.

This is somewhat vague tho, context matters and there can be several reasons into what impacts time to throw.
From what I've seen that impact this number
  • WR play. Times where WR doesn't beat man-to-man forcing Caleb to hold on to the ball. Against better defenses, the CBs are just better than the USC WRs
  • OL play (Especially Guards). OL losing immediately but Caleb ability to extend the play into something. It's almost impressive that the time to throw is this way if have seen the OL play this year.
  • And some of it is on Caleb. It's not that he can't work on time and in the short game. It's when USC is working their high / low progressions and Caleb will give the high route a chance. Problem is when the defense takes it away and instead of just going back to the open underneath route, Caleb will go into Hero ball mode when it's unnecessary 1st and 10 in a tie ball game. This and fumbles will be the biggest things Caleb will need to work on when getting to the NFL but it's something you'll live with when he does everything else very well.
@3:45 1st and 10, Just take the check down

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't that basically the main knock on Fields? That he held the ball too long trying to do something spectacular?

Williams is probably better than Fields at actually doing the spectacular, but that combined with being meh against the best defenses makes me think he's overrated.

He could be overrated and still be the first Bears QB to crack 4K yards, though.
Overrated or not, we are just looking for a franchise QB and Caleb is your best shot at getting that in this class

cwalke3408

Hoopla Cash
$ 8.57
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Justin Fields time to throw
  • Good Oline play giving him time to work through reads
  • Play design where OSU is pretty good at designing long developing big shot plays and with Fields arm strength and accuracy they hit on a lot of these
Not necessary red flags.
The red flags for Fields is what happens when you get pressure on him. With his Oline it's somewhat of a low sample size but vs Indiana (2020) and Clemson (2019), they were able to get pressure, confusing Fields and getting him to throw turnover worthy passes

justanidiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Justin Fields time to throw
  • Good Oline play giving him time to work through reads
  • Play design where OSU is pretty good at designing long developing big shot plays and with Fields arm strength and accuracy they hit on a lot of these
Not necessary red flags.
The red flags for Fields is what happens when you get pressure on him. With his Oline it's somewhat of a low sample size but vs Indiana (2020) and Clemson (2019), they were able to get pressure, confusing Fields and getting him to throw turnover worthy passes
If we learned anything from the Kevin White experiment, he ran 3 routes in college and dominated. You get to the pros and its if the CB does this, you do that. You are making the guy think. I cant tell you if Kevin White was ever allowed to run any of his three routes ever. Same case in OSU. No where near the quantity of plays in the NFL and you force that player to fit your system, you are going to fail. It works sometime, but the QB that is getting the ball out in 1.5 seconds is throwing before the receiver even makes his break. The ball is there when he turns. 2.5 lets him fake before he makes his move.

All the "credit" with work through reads is what made Justin Fields hold onto the football more than any other quarterback. That is such an overused way to try to remove blame from the guys play. Working through reads starts by actually looking over the defense before the snap, actually watching what the other team is doing instead of this side eye of "I dont want the defense to see that I am looking at the guy covering my first read" bullshit.

Thats the fear again for some of us, here comes another walk on water prospect, deemed master of the universe on draft day, who will stand there tomorrow holding up a Justin Fields jersey, franchise from day 1, references of H!M like he is a god, and we will watch another rookie quarterback, starting too soon, not being able to get pulled so there is no damage to his confidence, no viable backup to push him to fight for the starter role.

Cannot just change the guy and not push him with competition. The only way Caleb does not start is if he is injured.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we learned anything from the Kevin White experiment, he ran 3 routes in college and dominated. You get to the pros and its if the CB does this, you do that. You are making the guy think. I cant tell you if Kevin White was ever allowed to run any of his three routes ever. Same case in OSU. No where near the quantity of plays in the NFL and you force that player to fit your system, you are going to fail. It works sometime, but the QB that is getting the ball out in 1.5 seconds is throwing before the receiver even makes his break. The ball is there when he turns. 2.5 lets him fake before he makes his move.

All the "credit" with work through reads is what made Justin Fields hold onto the football more than any other quarterback. That is such an overused way to try to remove blame from the guys play. Working through reads starts by actually looking over the defense before the snap, actually watching what the other team is doing instead of this side eye of "I dont want the defense to see that I am looking at the guy covering my first read" bullshit.

Thats the fear again for some of us, here comes another walk on water prospect, deemed master of the universe on draft day, who will stand there tomorrow holding up a Justin Fields jersey, franchise from day 1, references of H!M like he is a god, and we will watch another rookie quarterback, starting too soon, not being able to get pulled so there is no damage to his confidence, no viable backup to push him to fight for the starter role.

Cannot just change the guy and not push him with competition. The only way Caleb does not start is if he is injured.
There was never a "Kevin White experiment". He showed up to rookie camp with a foot fracture and he was never healthy again. Outside of 3.5 games at the beginning of 2016.

Fields was not, at all, a "walk on water" prospect. He was the 4th QB taken in his class, for chrissake. He was always a project.

Fields wasn't even the week 1 starter for the Bears in 2021. Not pushed? He wasn't even the starter until after Dalton got hurt. Immediately after Fields got drafted - Pace/Nagy reiterated that Dalton was the starter.

You keep making things up.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

God you suck so bad. I hope we draft 4 wide receivers today.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was never a "Kevin White experiment". He showed up to rookie camp with a foot fracture and he was never healthy again. Outside of 3.5 games at the beginning of 2016.

Fields was not, at all, a "walk on water" prospect. He was the 4th QB taken in his class, for chrissake. He was always a project.

Fields wasn't even the week 1 starter for the Bears in 2021. Not pushed? He wasn't even the starter until after Dalton got hurt. Immediately after Fields got drafted - Pace/Nagy reiterated that Dalton was the starter.

You keep making things up.

The only thing I will ever remember Kevin White for is falling short 1 yard on that Hail Mary from Mitch vs the Pats.

That wasn't just a play....It was symbolic.