• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Greg Olsen?

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
$7 million is higher than I had hoped. Personally, I thought 5 was too much. I understand he still produced last year, but that isn't to say he's gonna produce this year, and the team is stuck with it. Overall, I do like Olson, but $7 million is high, IMO.

That said, DJ Humphries is getting $15 million per with his re-signing. Ifedi was #53 at tackle according to PFF (I think that was what was quoted earlier), Humphries was #47. If this is the kind've money that is gonna be thrown around for mediocre talent, we're gonna see a lot of contracts that go for much higher than anticipated - and the later free agents are probably gonna have to settle for much lower than anticipated contracts by contrast.

Plus, considering the fact that the OL could turn over quite a bit. Have an awesome blocking TE and veteran leader will help offset the changes on the OL. That alone Increases his value in my book.

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Restricted, but yes.. and he may command a decent paycheck. It'd be unfortunate to see Seattle let him go, but we have major concerns on both the lines, secondary, and potentially runningback *sigh* That said, dunno anyone would give up a 1st or 2nd for him (meaning we can pay him like $2-3M to return).

RFAs rarely leave unless the team doesn't really want them. As you allude to, the price is pretty steep to sign away RFAs.

Not much chance of anyone doing that with Hollister.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why people are caught up on the 1 yr 7 million salary...

We'll save 4 million from Ed Dickinson so we basically gave a 1.5 million raise to the TE position in Olsen because he has a 5.5 mil deal with 1.5 mil in incentives... And if he reaches those incentives, then he would be worth his salary, no?

For us to have a RZ target like Olsen is a bonus... He and Metcalf in the RZ is going to be a very valuable asset for us... He caught 52 passes from Will Grier and Kyle Allen last year - just imagine what he'll do with RW...

flyerhawk

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not sure why people are caught up on the 1 yr 7 million salary...

We'll save 4 million from Ed Dickinson so we basically gave a 1.5 million raise to the TE position in Olsen because he has a 5.5 mil deal with 1.5 mil in incentives... And if he reaches those incentives, then he would be worth his salary, no?

For us to have a RZ target like Olsen is a bonus... He and Metcalf in the RZ is going to be a very valuable asset for us... He caught 52 passes from Will Grier and Kyle Allen last year - just imagine what he'll do with RW...

The biggest concern for me with Olsen is health. His last few seasons have been pretty rocky from a health perspective.

If he can stay healthy I suspect this will be a great signing for the team. But that's a big if.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest concern for me with Olsen is health. His last few seasons have been pretty rocky from a health perspective.

If he can stay healthy I suspect this will be a great signing for the team. But that's a big if.

True, although he only missed two games last season due to a concussion... Good news is, he's had issues with his foot in the past and that wasn't the reason he missed games last year so maybe he's overcome that... Great thing about Olsen is he could've hung it up and cashed it in for the season when he missed the two games with a concussion... He played all season through week 17 even though the Panthers were out of it and he had (2) young, inexperienced players running their offense... If his body was beat down, I doubt he would've finished the season so I view that as a good sign as well...

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a nice article from Danny and Gallant show regards to Olsen:

Bumpus: Seahawks get a 'true tight end' in Olsen who can 'do everything'

“He does what Luke Willson does well and what Hollister does well all in one,” Bumpus said. “Luke is like your blocking guy, your tough guy who’s going to get (his) hands on (defenders) and get a push. Hollister is your receiver guy. He’s going to work the flats, work the seams. And in Greg Olsen, you get both of those.”

“I understand he’s coming off of injuries. I get that he’s an older guy. But you take a chance on a Greg Olsen,” Bumpus said. “You go with the older guy. You go with the guy with experience. You go with the guy with leadership. You go with a tight end who’s a true tight end who can do everything you want to do.”

Paul Gallant noted that when Dissly was healthy the first five weeks of the season, Wilson’s numbers were “insane” in that he was completing more than 73% of his passes. When Dissly went down, Wilson’s completion percentage went down 10% and his yards per attempt went down by a full yard. Bumpus said having a reliable tight end on the field is a “safety blanket” for any quarterback.

“They’re the guys who run what I call the ‘right now routes,'” Bumpus said. “Say there’s a blitz coming off the edge, the tight end can release and boom, you hit him right now. Sometimes you get a safety on a tight end, you get a mismatch there. So they’re the guys where if you have (receivers) on the outside who are stretching the field, (tight ends) can work underneath and then work in the seams.”

Olsen will now join an offense with Wilson, Dissly, receivers Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf, running backs Chris Carson and Rashaad Penny and the team will likely have Hollister back in the fray for 2020.

Great point regarding Wilson's passing completion % after Dissly went down... There was a reason why Hollister was a practice squad player and LW was not on a roster... Having a solid TE who can do everything, will make RW that much more dangerous... He llikes throwing to the TE position and GO could have a very good season here in Seatown! RW wanted more talent and that's what the FO is doing for him...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is a nice article from Danny and Gallant show regards to Olsen:

Bumpus: Seahawks get a 'true tight end' in Olsen who can 'do everything'

Great point regarding Wilson's passing completion % after Dissly went down... There was a reason why Hollister was a practice squad player and LW was not on a roster... Having a solid TE who can do everything, will make RW that much more dangerous... He llikes throwing to the TE position and GO could have a very good season here in Seatown! RW wanted more talent and that's what the FO is doing for him...
If he stays fully healthy I can see him being a real plus for the offense. If......

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, it’s $5 million plus incentives. Rather than throw blanket statements out there I suggest you fact up rather than troll

When be only plays 5 games you can apologize.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When be only plays 5 games you can apologize.

And you can apologize if he plays more than 5... LOL...

I guess it's safe to say we can add him to a long list of Seahawk players that you hoped would fail so you can be right...

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The money was cheaper than I thought so it's a good signing and this helps the FO not to rush Dissly back. If things work out well they can hold Dissly out the first half of the season, come back fully healthy for the second half and stretch run.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Reed was cut by the Redskins I think that would have been a better investment if the price was right

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jordan Reed was cut by the Redskins I think that would have been a better investment if the price was right

Reed is a case study for glass TEs. He has been IRed each of the last 3 seasons, and missed all of 2019 due to a severe concussion. It's to the point that he may need to be looking at life after football (reports say 7 concussion in the last 10 years), though it's being reported he wants to play.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We’ve been snake bitten at TE, they seem to drop like flies for us for some dam reason... Olsen gives a little insurance even though he’s an older player...

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

yeah, Still scratching my head on Olsen a little when Hollister showed some spark last season. Then again He is no blocking TE and Olsen is. Maybe they use Olsen as that 5th olineman and spot TE duty ( and insurance because really our TE can't stay healthy) . Lots of money to pay out but less than what Fant would have costed. I wouldn't say it's dumb but i would say it was not a big need. This signing wont make them lose Clowney, someone will be cut if they have to do it like McDougald would pocket them 2.3 Million, Ed Dickson thats another 2.2 mill. DJ Fluker is 1.5 mill. KJ would save 2.5 mill and Britt 5 mill. Lots of money they can open up if need be but wow, you really do not want to gut your team for one player.

Would be amazing if we heard Wilson restructured his contract to open up 5+ mill for the Hawks wouldn't it? He all ready is in a class of his own when talking about QB's and what they do on the field and off, this would just be another feather in his cap. Thompson also is a 2.3 mill cap hit and i think he is gone seeing as they told him and his agent he could seek out a trade. Even if cut his dead cap money is tiny only $168,000 his cap hit is $2.3 million.

So Dickson is going to be gone 2.2 mill, Thompson 2.2 mill, Fluker i think is gone so another 1.5 mill for 5.9 mill back in cap space.

Last edited:

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love it... You're always bringing optimism to the party...

It is true though that signing the most urgent needs should come before signing say a back up TE for a few millions.

Last edited:

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what people have been watching, but Dissly can't seem to stay healthy, and Hollister hasn't really proven anything at the moment. Meanwhile, it'd be nice to have a bit of veteran leadership for our receivers in the locker room (outside of Lockett).

That said, I have ZERO fucking clue why Ed Dickson is still on this team.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what people have been watching, but Dissly can't seem to stay healthy, and Hollister hasn't really proven anything at the moment. Meanwhile, it'd be nice to have a bit of veteran leadership for our receivers in the locker room (outside of Lockett).

That said, I have ZERO fucking clue why Ed Dickson is still on this team.

Other than he helped the Hawks win a game almost helped them win a 2nd and was consistent on the field. Sure he is no Dissly but he was better than Luke Wilson. Until Dissly proves he can stay healthy then Hollister is a fine dump off outlet for the QB seeing as we do not throw many of those type passes to RB but to TE. He is Athletic and is a talented receiver. Not the typical 6 foot 5 250 TE no but he is a nice piece because his quickness makes him a pain to cover with LBrs and his size is big enough to cause CB problems. I really wonder what people were watching when they say Hollister hasn't proven anything? Obviously not his play last season. I like the Upside i see here for this 26 year old player ( 11 games 41 Rec ). I believe what we saw last season was just the start of what he can do. He also has a 82% catch rate and had only 1 drop last year.

Last edited: